There’s a sinister motive to everything National do. As usual there is more to their proposed unqualified teacher plan than they are willing to say. Just as well there are bloggers to shine a light on their dark intent.
The right is constantly attacking the status of teachers for a number of reasons:
- Education is a major area of government spending and teachers’ wages are the lion’s share of the education budget. If the fat elite want to pay less tax, then they need less government spending. Paying teachers less is one route to that. Unqualified teachers in charter schools, which have the power to set their own pay rates and to run for a profit, is all part of driving teachers’ pay down.
- To reduce the overall standard of teaching in this country and ultimately produce a dumbed down, acquiescent population – a majority underclass of poorly educated workers if you like – who will work for peanuts and do as they’re told.
- By dumbing down children more of them will grow up to be criminals, thus creating more business for private prisons.
- With bad education kids will grow up unable to work hard to make money for themselves so will have to resort to gambling, which will pay back Sky City for their donations.
- In a cunning double whammy poorly educated people suffer from poor health – and they’re not smart enough to realise what hospitals can do to help them so the Government saves there too.
- Dumber people won’t know how to apply for all the extra benefit supplements – and probably won’t even know if they have been kicked off a benefit.
This would be satire if some of it wasn’t actual accusations made on a major blog – 1 and 2 have actually been suggested (probably by people who somehow missed being taught by qualified teachers) – see Robber’s charter.
Edit: Here’s more (presumably posted as serous comment):
- I think it’s part of a broader philosophy to develop an authoritarian education system that stifles critical thinking, and teachers to a narrow range of skills on tests. It includes increasing the numbers of teachers who have little in-depth understanding of education that helps democracy to thrive. It increases the numbers of submissive teachers who will follow orders, and teach to tests in an authoritarian regime.
- Who needs qualified registered teachers to educated poor kids anyway? Isn’t it all a waste of money, really? How else will we expand our ‘low wage’ competitive advantage? It’s just common sense, to a Tory.
- The Tories dread creating an intelligent populace (as people might be disobedient, and dare to think for themselves.
- Did you really think it would escape notice that the rich want the best education for their kids while serving up shit to the poor?