Amongst the criticisms of the marriage equality bill have been warnings about what may happen if marrige is ‘redefined’ – if it will lead to further re-definitions. Marriage could end up being everything but the kitchen sink.
What will marriage be defined as next? All it will take is for one MP to submit a bill to the Member’s ballot, get their bill drawn, talk about 60 other MPs into backing it and withstanding any public criticism.
Here are some of the possibilities:
- Marriage between multiple people (polygamy).
- Marriage between person and dog.
- Marriage between person and job.
- Marriage between man and car.
- Marriage between woman and kitchen sink.
NOTE: there are no bills proposing any of these re-definitions of marriage, nor has any MP talked of any re-definitions.