Dim-Post banning admitted

Danyl at Dim-Post has finally admitted that he banned me from his Dim-Post blog. That is the first time I’ve seen him say anything about it,

In February last year I challenged a post that linked to something I thought was disgusting.

This all resurfaced on Dim-Post in May 2012 with a lot of blog comment, where various claims and accusations were mad – I detailed it and the time of the banning in Rhinocrates and Dim-Post set straight. Rhinocrates has admitted to deliberately harrassing me and disrupting the blog to get me banned.

16. Comment by alex — May 9, 2012 @ 4:37 pm

I have a question for the moderator of this blog, is it true that Pete George is banned from commenting on Dim-Post?

At the time I commented – To my knowledge “the moderator” has never commented on any bans, blocked or deleted comments yet.

18. Comment by Clunking Fist — May 9, 2012 @ 5:31 pm

I’m not the moderator, but I believe Pete George was not banned from this site. Rather, he was hounded from it.

Not true. I was standing up to a sustained attack when suddenly my comments stopped appearing. I could no longer respond to accusations or abuse. Several comments were apparently blocked over a period of time. No notice or explanation was given.

21. Comment by Hugh — May 9, 2012 @ 5:57 pm

If he was hounded out my only regret is I didn’t have a hand in it.

33. Comment by Rhinocrates — May 9, 2012 @ 10:59 pm

Sorry everyone if I was such a nuisance in my role, but I thought that it was worthwhile to “go nuclear” as it were and destroy a couple of threads to drive him out (though I shouldn’t take sole credit).

36. Comment by Rhinocrates — May 9, 2012 @ 11:07 pm

Anyway, what I meant to say, in reply to eighteen and twenty-three, sorry if I was a bore, but I felt that it was necessary in my minor role in hounding PG, but it was his persistent stupidity that offended me. In this world, with the gift of life, one has no right to glory in being thick as if it made one a “nobel savage” and PG, like a true narcissist WOULD NOT BLOODY STOP. Sorry if it wreck a couple of good threads, but I felt that it was worth it in the long run. The Dimpost seems to be doing pretty well without him.

A repeat of a closing comment in February.

78. Comment by Rhinocrates — February 27, 2012 @ 10:19 am

Indeed, but I’m (perhaps vainly) hoping that the sacrifice of this or a few threads will finally drive the egomaniacal fool away for good.

A classic blogger irony, Rhinocrates calling me egomaniacal.

It has come up again occassionally since. Danyl (who runs Dim-Post) never said anything that I’m aware of.

Today (eighteen months since I have been on Dim-Post) I was mentioned again,

15. Comment by Hugh — July 28, 2013 @ 1:59 pm

Pete George doesn’t seem to post here any more, but Redbaiter still thinks it’s worth looking in on us every once in a while. I present this information without comment.

For some reason this initiated a response from Danyl.

17. Comment by danylmc — July 28, 2013 @ 3:36 pm

Pete George got banned a while back when I noticed that the majority of the comments threads were filled with awesomely boring Pete George comments.

So finally he has admitted banning me.

He could have just asked me to cease commenting, so the other commenters could find someone else to bore off the blog. He could have at least followed glog etiquette and decency and adviced what had hapened. But for some reason he maintained a silence on it up until now.

This raised doubts about the openness of Dim-Post – if I have been banned and my comments have just disappeared than how many others ahave been censored and banned without notification?

I think that a blog that silently censors seriously compromises it’s integrity. You have no way of knowing how uneven and message and messenger controlled debates are, unless directly involved yourself.

I don’t care that I was banned, it seems to be common practice on lefty blogs. So far my ban scorecard includes:

• Dim-Post (Danyl Mclachlan)
  • Red Alert (Clare Curran)
  • The Standard (Lynn Prentice)
  • The Daily Blog (Martyn Bradbury)

Of those only The Standard was open and clear about the banning. The others all just started blocking comments.In a way it’s funny, in a way it’s a sad state of discussion.

Free speech and fair debate seem to be low priorities on the left. I think that is a real shame – for them.

I’m aware that many people will find this post awesomely boring. I have written it up not to entertain, but as a public record. It could be useful for future reference, especially when I’m accused again of making things up about being banned.

If Danyl ever reads this – can you answer how often you deleted comments without saying anything? And how often do you ban people without saying anything?

Final words from Dim-Post:

28. Comment by Hugh — July 29, 2013 @ 12:37 am

@danyl: Whoah, you can get banned for being boring? Bold move. You’re right, he did tend to regard his own opinion as intrinsically more interesting than anything else (including the original post) but if that was a generally bannable offense the blogosphere would be very small.

Yes, especially Dim-Post if academic egomaniacs weren’t exempt.

Still, it’s not as if we’re missing much. I could tell you Pete’s opinion on any given issue without needing to hear him actually give it.

Very funny Hugh. On a thread about the GCSB and spying. What’s your surname?

1. Rick Rowling

/  29th July 2013

Rhinocrates calling someone else narcissistic. Aaaahahahahaha. Oh dear.

2. Keith

/  30th July 2013

Yes the left seems to have a low tolerance for disagreement. Maybe they feel vulnerable because they know they mainly speak rubbish.
    And they wonder why Labour is disintegrating!

3. “Ultimately every blogger makes their own rules and moderates their blog however they like. But in my mind blogs that silently control what is made public are are unreliable forums.”

I agree, Pete. Keeping Stock does this and has had a ban in place for some time now. Moderation is permanently on and many comments never see the light of day. He’s fearful of contradiction. Your comment about the unreliability of such a blog is entirely correct. I think you can see that, while my comments can be provocative, they are not offensive nor excessive and don’t need to be ‘disappeared’ to save your face, or that of any of your commenters (other than Darryl 🙂