Open Forum – Monday (Labour Day)

Monday 27 October 2014 – New Zealand Labour Day

This is open to anyone with any topic. It’s a mostly political blog but not limited to that, and views from anywhere on the political spectrum are welcome.

Some basic ground rules:

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.
  • Debate hard if you like but respect people’s right to have varying views and to not be personally be attacked.
  • Don’t say to a stranger online anything you wouldn’t say to their face.

Moderation will be minimal if these guidelines are followed. Should they ever be necessary any moderator edits, deletes or bans will be clearly and openly advised.

1. kathy maddren

/  27th October 2014

LOL. There have been 5 posts written by Whale Oil since 6am, and a grand total of FIVE comments written. Slater is taking the day off today to work on Project Freed. So of course that means all his alter ego user names are also taking the day off.

• Nothing new or topical, and all the blogs look like having quiet starts. Kiwiblog has been a little more active although Farrar has been away for a couple of weeks or so and has posted little topical. The Standard has also been quiet in comments but a bit more active than WO.

A lot of posts at WO attract little interest. But even the more active threads are noticeably down on comment numbers over the last few weeks.

Watching comment numbers can be illiminating, it can be an indicator of what interests different online communities. For example a post yesterday on Collective Bargaining at The Standard only had 8 comments, and a repost on Shell ‘illegal” drilling got 9..

• kathy maddren

/  27th October 2014

Within the same time frame this morning, your blog had already got more comments than Whale Oil, Pete. Hows that for a good

• kathy maddren

comparison Pete.

(Darned thing self posted before I had finished my sentence !!! It can be a bit of a sensitive temperamental app. LOL)

2. Phil Wild

/  27th October 2014

All will be revealed on November 1st when readership figures and page visits are revealed. I do suspect they will be well down.

3. Greg Connor

/  27th October 2014

I think the granting of name suppression prior to conviction is justified, of course to limit the damage to the defendant and his associations. However I am strongly against permanent name suppression such as we have seen in the last couple of years and more recently in the South Island sexual assault. It certainly has taken our minds of the actual conviction and the methodology applied to getting the defendant a discharge.
    At the risk of being blown out of the water, is this really a sexual assault. I agree the “victim” says the approach was not wanted and asked the person to desist but was able to end it and leave the house within a short time. There was obviously some mutual friendship and she did ask him into the house for a cup of tea while the husband arrived. I did not see a report of anyone being hurt. I understand that it was inconvenient but 3 years of litigation and expense. Is it worth it.
    in short the guy has made an approach “all be it bumbling” and has found himself unable to get a job and spent half of his retirement savings to defend himself. Indeed 20secs of madness.

• If you read Louise Hemsley’s description of what happened and how she feels about it now, yes it was a serious sexual assault. If someone did anything like that to my daughters, especially an older man, I’d be very annoyed. See:

The offender is the one who chose to do most of the dragging out. A plea bargain was done, he pled guilty, he paid reparation. And then he thumbed his nose at that and took it to appeal to get a discharge without conviction and permanent name suppression. And now he denies any wrong doing. I can understand a victim feeling pretty bad about how all that has happened.

• Greg Connor

/  27th October 2014

I have read Louise Hemsleys description of the assault and while it is bumbling, inappropriate and distasteful I would hardly say it is at the serious sexual assault level. Had he fessed up and let it go public then he would likely have received a slap on the hand with a wet paper bag. Further in this case I dont have a problem with the defendant “dragging out” his defense. I am not defending his actions but the greater issue is that of the Judge allowing Pemanent Name Suppression. And just to add she is not one of your daughters she as a grown woman whom I am sure is capable of defending herself in this type of situation.

• Mike C

/  27th October 2014

Your comment gob smacked me, but luckily my fingers still work 🙂

Louise was alone in her own home, and her attacker was much bigger.

You make it sound like she brought this on herself and that her assaulter did the equivalent of failing to pay an overdue parking ticket.

Shame on you.

This man is a

4. kathy maddren

/  27th October 2014

As a former contributer to the Whale, I am intrigued by Cam Slaters association with Tony Lentino’s new media outlet.

Slater became the Editor of the Truth newspaper in 2012.

About 9 months later, the Truth folded.

Is anyone in here able to tell me why the Truth was shut down ?

• I think the Truth was already doomed. Once a week scandal couldn’t match blog immediacy. I doubt whether anyone could have turned it around. And it hobbled Cam, having to try and hold back big stories for publication day. But it would have been a learning experience.

I think WO surged after that.

Cam’s association with the new outlet will be interesting. He has both competed against traditional media and used it and he was used by them. His credibility has been knocked, not just by potential associates but also by audience.

But anything could happen. The key will be how it performs. Getting the shock-jock versus respect balance right will be important.

• kathy maddren

/  27th October 2014

Why on earth would the owners of The Truth Newspaper hire Cameron Slater as their Editor if they knew that the Whale Oil Blog was a threat to the Truths longevity ?

Slater clearly has the “Gift of Gab”

• Sponge

/  27th October 2014

The Truth was a dead parrot before Cameron got involved. I admire his balls for even having a crack at bringing it back to life but I don’t think he really had a chance.

I am sure the experience will stand him in good stead for the “Freed” opportunity though and I wish him all the best for it. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out though.

• kathy maddren

/  27th October 2014

If it was obvious to you that the Truth was on its way out, then we can assume that Slater was only in it for the Truth Editors weekly wages, and milked that cow for what ever it was worth to him, until the Truth finally took its last gasp.

• Sponge

/  27th October 2014

I doubt it was about the money Kathy. I think that it would have been an opportunity that would have been very hard to turn down. Being the editor of a weekly would add credibility to his being a journalist and the experience would have been invaluable for what he is about to do.

• kathy maddren

/  27th October 2014

Gee Spongie. Your above comment clearly states your allegiance to Cam Slater.

I would like to say that this comes as a surprise to me.

But it doesn’t.

How’s that spare laptop of yours 🙂

• Sponge

/  27th October 2014

Kathy – I have no allegiance to anyone. I have given up WhaleOil as it is now just an ego chamber due to the insane moderation. But I do believe in giving credit where it is due and Slater has made a difference in the NZ media.

The laptop is sitting with two others that I no longer use. The offer I made to you was genuine. That you are now being snarky about it says more about you than me.

• kathy maddren

/  27th October 2014

You having two spare laptops, and saying I am “snarky”, doesn’t change your feelings towards Cameron Slater does it ?

I know how the Whale username disquis system works

• Sponge

/  27th October 2014

Sorry that should have read “echo”not “ego”. Freudian slip perhaps.

• Sponge

/  27th October 2014

Kathy, I don’y have “feeling” for Cam Slater and I have no idea what you are referring to about discus usernames – could you explain?

• kathy maddren

/  27th October 2014

Don’t exactly have time to explain right now Spongie (Big Smiley Face).

Need to focus on the username(s) that have set up spyware in Pete Georges blog over the past two hours or so.

5. kathy maddren

/  27th October 2014

Are we able to upload screenshots and photos onto our comments here Pete ?

• You can link to images and videos but not upload them into comments, only into posts as an author.

• kathy maddren

/  27th October 2014

Limitations due to app, Pete ?

• It’s because it’s hosted on WordPress.com, you’re limited by their small selection of plugins. If you host it yourself on your own or a paid for server you can load your own plugins and there’s one that allow comment uploads – but it’s not common to be able to upload even on self hosted blogs as far as I’m aware.

• kathy maddren

/  27th October 2014

Slater has it on the Whale. How much has it cost him monthly, to enable his customers to be “participants” on his blog ?

• I didn’t realise that was available at WO. Since when? Doesn’t seem to be used much.

I’ll look in to it. I was going to check out self hosting.

In the meantime if you have an image worth posting if you email it I can either append to Open Forum or put on as a post.

• kathy maddren

/  27th October 2014

I used to upload screenshots and photos onto the Whale all the time, Pete.

6. Helpful post, specifically just what I wished to locate.

Many thanks!