Are politicians and police covering up a very dirty not-very–secet?

I’ve just read a post at a blog with a record of breaking supression orders, so I won’t link to it.

It details a number of known facts, plus information that matches rumours I’ve heard, and additional detail.

It’s particulrly disturbing.

First I’ll say that if they are inaccurate then it’s awful for those named to be associated unfairly. That’s can be a risk of suppression of information of something that many people have an interest in and a determination to make public.

But it talks of erring MPs and political and police cover-ups that could be protecting their own.

And it talks of sexual assault against children.

If true this is extremely serious. And it needs to be dealt with. If those who should won’t deal with it then it’s up to others to make it impossible for them not to.

1. Mike C

/  3rd February 2015

Hard for us to have an opinion on something that only you’ve read 🙂

2. Kittycatkin

/  3rd February 2015

I hope that you reported it-I wouldn’t know to whom, but you would.

3. Kittycatkin

/  3rd February 2015

Could you give us examples but with no identifying details ?

4. Kerry

/  3rd February 2015

Im surprised that the site in mention is able to be accessed in NZ without using a proxy, Pete I am more disturbed at the goings on in the NZ police force ….all these crooked cops who continually get lifetime name suppression , its really quite seedy and sick that practically most of our population wouldn’t have a clue whats going on.

• A problem is that they seem to have been involved in the sort of crimes that make a seemingly compelling case for name suppression, sexual assault especially against children.

• I’m a relative newcomer to NZ; are there *any* sites that require the use of a proxy to access them from NZ? With the exception of commercial sites that have their own reasons, Netflix etc?

I wasn’t aware NZ had any form of internet censorship; it would be bad if it did, and doubleplusungood if it was used to attempt to censor political commentary such as LaudaFinem!

5. Kittycatkin

/  3rd February 2015

I don’t believe that there are ‘all those cops who continually get lifetime name suppression’; it seems to me that if a cop does a crime, they’re named very quickly.

• Kerry

/  3rd February 2015

That’s what you are supposed to think. trust me when I say your head is firmly in the sand, I could reel off so many names that you would of never herd of , and no doubt I would have a tap at my door tomorrow by the police charging me with suppression breach ,its happening right now to people who are mentioning these names.

• kiwi_guy

/  4th February 2015

Take the red pill Kittycatkin, you will find it at laudafinem.

6. Mike C

/  4th February 2015

Who are the owners and authors at the LaudaFinem website?

7. I think it’s well-night certain the LaudaFinem site is owned, run and hosted outwith NZ. Thus, they aren’t breaking suppression orders; those (obviously, but some people tend to forget it!) apply *only* within NZ; NZ law doesn’t apply in Aussie, the USA, or anywhere else.

Which makes laws such as the suppression laws particularly pointless in the age of the borderless internet. Anyone outside NZ – the other 98% of the planet – can post, publish and discuss this info perfectly freely. And Kiwis can read it. I have a phrase for this kind of thing, trying to restrict the internet with national laws: Canute Syndrome.

/  4th February 2015

In case someone gets the wrong idea if you breach the suppression order from NZ you will be liable for prosecution wherever you publish it.

• ‘Publish’ can have multiple, sometimes highly counterintuitive, meanings on the internet.

But in general, you’re entirely correct Alan. The other 99% of the planet can publish whatever it likes, and Kiwis can read it; that was my point. So what boots it to also prevent the 1% who are Kiwis from publishing it?

Anyone who wants to know the particulars of the case can find them via a ten second Google search so simple any of my kids would be capable of conducting it. And you can’t suppress gossip with ANY legislation.