Killing Campbell Live

I missed most of the attention given last night to the possible axing of Campbell Live. It’s funny what sparks indignation. It would be a shame to see the end of Campbell Live I guess, but I don’t watch it very often so personally won’t miss it.

TV3 is moving more towards lightweight ‘reality’ TV but it hasn’t just suddenly happened, television has been dumbing down for a long time.

I think a major problem with the main television channels who once may have been considered interested in serious news and current affairs coverage is that people who were interested in that sort of television have been searching the Internet for what they want more and more.

That leaves the lightweight viewers to dominate the ratings of the increasingly banal entertainment that the channels dish up.

There was a time – a long time – when I tried to watch the six o’clock news if at all possible.

Now I don’t care if I miss it – I already know most of the news they cover. Sometimes I knew about it half a day or a day (or more) earlier.

Even manufactured news is stale by six o’clock. For example The Nation is played at 9.30 on a Saturday morning and features political interviews. If you watch this, and if you monitor journalist tweets leading into the programme and afterwards, you can have a pretty good guess what they will cover as ‘news’ at the end of the day.

John Campbell has done some very good stuff over the years but on his Live programme he’s also done a lot of lightweight stuff. Mostly fairly lightweight stuff as far as I’ve seen, and it obviously interests only a small and shrinking market segment.

Throng have a graph that illustrates declining audiences, especially compared to the competition:

RATINGS: CAMPBELL LIVE SLUMPS TO NEAR-RECORD SERIES LOW

That coincides with the cricket world cup but is a continuation of longer term decline.

I’ve never campaigned to keep Coronation Street on air here. And I won’t sign a Campbell Live petition. Instead I’ll scan the internet looking at all the indignation with some amusement.

It would be a bit sad to see Campbell Live killed, I guess, but I don’t really care very much.

Even when I ‘watch’ the ‘news’ these days I more often than not get distracted off it onto the internet, looking for more information about what they have covered. Or just getting bored with television.

With current affairs I want to see alternate coverage and varying points of views, not some package puffed up paff from one commercial channel.

Campbell Live and the news have become semi ‘reality’ television already. Formula stuff, repeated over and over with the only change being the amateur actors they use. Live crosses and interviews with witnesses etc frequently add nothing of substance to the coverage of news and turn me off.

I used to like DNTV2 news and  ‘The South Tonight’. Sometimes. But life goes on without them.

1. Maureen

/  10th April 2015

Campbell Live is a tired old format and while he’s probably done some ok stories over the years, his one-dimensional style of news doesn’t compare with online choices. Equally, I don’t care for Seven Sharp either, in fact I don’t care for television at all. Sits in the corner of the room like a nana with Alzheimer’s – gets to make a noise sometimes, but no-one takes any notice.

2. Budgieboy

/  10th April 2015

Campbell is way to left for me and that’s why I stopped watching years ago. Can’t help but wonder if that’s played a fairly major part in this. The guy is very talented but I just can’t watch him.

3. B graders

/  10th April 2015

The problem is, that no one has ever been able to fill Paul Holmes shoes, on either television or radio. He was the absolute master.

John Campbell comes across as far too fawning and ‘sickly’ for my liking – and as for Mike Hoskins, give me a break!!

• I watch Seven Sharp less than Campbell Live.

Apart from the diversification of media one factor will be that many people are looking for relaxation and entertainment in the media after work and their evening meal. Current affairs and promoting social agendas have diminishing appeal.

4. rayinnz

“Vote with your remote”
    It strikes me that a fair number of the lefties calling for Campbell’s retaining are the types who don’t watch “telly”
    Miss Clark’s “sanctimonious little creep” hit the nail right on the head
    If I need a preacher, I go to church

5. Concerned Kiwi

/  10th April 2015

The sooner he goes, taking a few more left-wing mouths with him, the better. He is no loss,

• duperez

/  10th April 2015

It’s really terrible that there is any questioning of the present regime. They obviously have the perfect people with the perfect policies and the perfect implementation. Lets be rid of any opposition.

The thing is that governments don’t last forever and those who now want no opposition or scrutiny would be wailing the loudest should their bȇte noir win an election and expect the same hideous freedom.

6. traveller

/  10th April 2015

Pete, you’re right re people wanting to relax in the evenings and not be harangued by do-gooders. I’d rather catch up on some recorded series or binge on decent Netflix series than watch gushy Campbell when I finally get to sit down at night. If I feel the need for a bit of no-nonsense editorial I’ll watch Hosking and I’ll get a laugh as well.

7. pdm

/  10th April 2015

I put Campbell in the same category as Henry – supercilous, smug and totally unlikeable. We never watch him so don’t care. He will probably turn up on the Labour or Greens list at the next election if he gets the chop.

/  10th April 2015

I used to watch 3 news and Campbell but got fed up with the level of hype and hysteria from the likes of Campbell, Garner and Gower. I want to see news presented rationally and intelligently, not emoting bias all over the carpet.

Yes, Hosking has a political bias but it is presented coolly and with humour. Campbell just panders to the Left with his highly selective rants and rages, which is a shame because a few of his campaigns were good journalism and worthwhile. Unfortunately his biases just became unwatchable and many potential subjects refused interviews that they did not believe would be edited and presented fairly. Even on his good campaigns you felt you were getting only one side of the story. RIP a good programme ruined by lack of balance.

9. Brown

/  10th April 2015

NZ has moved from the left and JK’s rubbish has just become unappealing to enough people to see him become an economic liability. Good riddance – can’t ignore free market choices.

10. Concerned Kiwi

/  10th April 2015

See he has Labour/Greens attempting to influence his survival . . . no way, he is a piece of left-wing crap that deserves the rubbish bin. The only help I would give him would be a kick in the arse as he cleaned out his desk.

11. Campbell’s style maybe a little ‘dated’.. but he does have some good news stories & I think TV3 will be losing an asset if they axe his show, often a good watch ! 😦

I don’t see him as particularly left or right..

/  10th April 2015

That last sentence certainly places you on the political spectrum, Zedd, if there was any doubt.

12. kittycatkin

/  10th April 2015

Dated-how true ! That’s exactly what he is. I tired of him taking up causes like the dreary Bartletts (what happened to them ? They would still have the mortgage) and that woman with the four sons who wanted a four bedroom state house for them and seemed to think that she was entitled to one (a three bedroom one had been refused-may God forbid that anyone should share a room) I seldom watch him now. Our television spends most of its time veiled with a piece of 1960s material to make it blend into the room.

• Maureen

/  10th April 2015

Crimplene would be perfect for covering up the tele .. (and Campbell).