Christ would weep

Campbell Live had another in a series of items on Gloriavale tonight. A young woman who had left the community wanted to go back and see her sister, and Dan Parker took her and a crew to try and get her in.

It wasn’t surprising to see resistance to a camera crew, even though they said they would stay outside as long as the sisters could meet.

However the father came to the gate and spoke to his daughter. He rejected her completely because she wouldn’t totally accept ‘my god’.

It looks very out of whack when a religious group insists that strict adherence to their beliefs takes precedence over family.

And that a lack of total compliance forces families apart.

Jesus would weep.

Campbell Live: Gloriavale: Julia returns to see her family

1. kittycatkin

/  27th April 2015

I felt as if we shouldn’t have been hearing the conversation. I wish I’d turned it off, but I had the dog and the computer and couldn’t reach the remote,

I just wanted to reach through the screena and hug her. Maybe one should say that the father was honest and said what he had to say without feeling pressured by Campbell Live into a false situation. But how he could turn his back on that sweet girl is a real mystery.

It did seem voyeuristic and I wonder what has been achieved. Maybe CL should not have set the poor girl up for such a public rejection that they must have known was coming.

/  27th April 2015

Religious fanaticism is a nasty drug. As I’ve said before, bad ideas are the worst weapon of mass destruction.

3. Sponge

/  27th April 2015

The usual Campbell Live sensationalism bullshit. The sooner he is gone from the airwaves the better. The bearded sky fairy believes are, without doubt, dreadful but lets be honest – he is just doing this for ratings and not because he actually cares.

• He isn’t paid to care, he’s paid for ratings. It’s all about entertainment.

And who is going to point out some of the interesting things that happen in our society like Gloriavale and things like the religious fanaticism Alan Wilkinson refers to, if it isn’t on programmes like that? It comes across though that regardless of what was presented on the programme you’d be a hater of Campbell anyway.

4. Concerned Kiwi

/  28th April 2015

The sooner someone whacks that gutless interfering socialist arsehole Campbell the better. It bemuses me to even think of watching the mongrel little creep.

5. Matthew 10:34-39
    New International Version (NIV)

34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn ‘a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law- 36 a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’
    37 “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.

6. Mike C

/  28th April 2015

@GrantMcKenna. It feels like Blubber-Boys fake religious personality has just walked into the room. Hope you aren’t related to Cameron Slater 🙂