Paul Henry still failing to impress

I occasionally go back to the Paul Henry Show, just to get reminded why I don’t like it – it’s too opinionated, with Paul Henry dominating. A shame because I don’t mind Hillary Barry and Jim Kayes.

So I switch back to One’s Breakfast, which I never liked much but is less bad. And barely watch it as I do the ‘net.

I’m obviously not the target demographic. In the early morning I’m interested in finding out as much about news and views as I can, not just one person’s views interspersed with a bit of news that’s often either stale or trivial (and often both).

Throng reports on the morning TV ratings.

Ratings: The Paul Henry Show week 4

Four weeks in and The Paul Henry Show enjoyed its first positive move on the previous week with a less than 1% gain on the previous week to have an average audience between 7am and 9am of 44,288 viewers.

Breakfast was up 2% on the previous week to an average audience of 135,300.

So Paul Henry is either failing to impress or is an acquired taste. But I’m unlikely to acquire an interest unless there’s a specific item signalled on Twitter that I’m interested in. I’ll keep looking for what interests me rather than be glued to a bit of a goon show.

1. COPROLALIA

/  6th May 2015

Think I agree with you on this PG. And someone needs to have a quiet word with Paul Henry up about his language…..there’s only so much “shit”, “bastards” and “arse” that the family can put up with over the breakfast table 😦

• Record it then and watch at grown-ups time. Paul is fantastic- he knows who he is and doesn’t mind a joke at his expense either. Razor sharp reflexes and sees the funny side of life-Hilary fantastic as is Jim.
      Always first with the news and does not filter out bad publicity for the Nats even though he is of the right.I only miss a decent weather forecaster .

• I guess then the demographic is those who accept “shit”, “bastards” and “arse” as normal language going into normal homes on ordinary morning tv or those who want to record it for watching when the kids aren’t there.
        Fair enough I suppose, that’s what the bosses at TV3 want. A little while down the track there will be oldies grizzling about appalling standards of language with those words and ‘twats’ and whatever else the norm. If an ordinary teacher in a normal class in an ordinary school were to use those words would parents complain?

2. I didn’t think I’d like PH but I find he is watchable. Can’t stand One Breakfast.

3. Mike C

/  6th May 2015

The 6am to 9am Radiolive Show that Mark Sainsbury hosted, with Jeremy Parkinson as his Producer was terrific to listen to, as they put together a very professional show full of newsworthy topics, and interesting people to listen to.

Paul Henry’s Show is almost the complete antithesis of Mark Sainsburys Show.

4. gunangler

/  6th May 2015

Sorry to disagree. I hate breakfast on tv1 and love Paul Henry. I will not watch breakfast on 1 and would rather not turn the TV on! Paul Henry is good and interesting and has good guests on…

5. kittycatkin

/  6th May 2015

I don’t watch either. But I’d rather be boiled in oil than watch Paul Henry. His anti-Indian racism was a total embarrassment & I spent much time telling Indian friends in India that he’d been condemned here for his puerile remarks about a dignified Indian politician’s name. His remarks about Susan Boyle being retarded were also pathetic, as are his other comments on people’s personal appearance. This sort of thing is normally grown out of by the time one’s eight or so, and it’s rather sad to see an adult still doing it. ‘Mu-ummm…why does that lady have such a fat bottom ?’ ‘Mu-ummmm…that man doesn’t have any hair.’

• Mike C

/  6th May 2015

@Kitty. Just turned on my radio. I got Paul Henry “Highlights” from 7pm to 8pm.

There appears to be no escaping from the maniacal crazy man.

6. kittycatkin

/  7th May 2015

Groannnnn…..our town was one of those singled out for his (repeated) witty (and totally inaccurate, needless to say) comments. He graciously remarked when he eventually talked to someone from the town (I did see that, as we knew the person) that he might consider stopping here if there was ever something interesting enough to make it worth his while, or words to that effect. NO ! Please, no ! He then, as soon as the guest was off the air, proceeded to insult them and, of course, the town…I didn’t bother to listen to the end. The man is a total boor.