Serco/Fight Club a bad look

Aspects of the prison fight club stuff looks quite bad. How bad depends on what are facts and what might be a political beat up.

Is it out of the ordinary prison crap?

Has it just started since Serco took over management?

Does it only happen in Mt Eden?

1. kittycatkin

/  21st July 2015

I don’t like fight clubs (I am a coward about physical violence, so can’t imagine wanting to do this) but the fight on television looked more like rough boxing than real violence. I’d rather that they worked their aggression off on each other than the guards. Of course, I’d rather that they did neither. But this is surely better (or less bad) than uncontrolled, vicious fighting.

I’d like to know more about this. As I said, I can’t imagine doing this, or why anyone would. But we weren’t told if there were rules of any kind. The ‘dropping’ seems to be urban myth-thank goodness.

2. Pete Kane

/  21st July 2015

“Rough boxing.” Oh it was real violence. I promise you.

• but no rape tho

• Pete Kane

/  22nd July 2015

Obviously even in jail batteries can run out – Mr Tyrant if you have time listen to the Ministers interview I posted a couple of comments down. Unbelievable.

3. jamie

/  21st July 2015

kittycatkin have you seen the actual videos or just the blurred clips shown on the news? Try this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjBiIIBRyn8

It’s pretty obvious to me that’s someone getting the crap beaten out of him. Now I don’t care who he is or what he’s done before, this is NOT how our system is supposed to operate. This is our system failing to operate.

I wish people would stop making excuses. Even if some of it is “rough boxing” and consensual, it still can’t be written off as “ordinary prison crap”. Prisoners aren’t supposed to be running the prisons and making the rules about who gets to do what to who and where. If this happens anywhere, anytime, then the system has failed and it needs to be addressed seriously.

• That video is simpler a gang recruit coping a beating to get the gangs protection. Initiation rite – listen to what the watchers are saying – get up, do your best, last one. Clearly a test to gain gang protection

It is in no way a match in terms of a sporting contest. They fact this happens is no surprise, from what i have heard it is rife in the whole system, with newbies and the unaffiliated seeking protection therefore needing to seek that protection established groups.

Our prison staff are obviously not doing a good enough job on contraband as that fight is obviously capture on a smartphones video camera….

/  22nd July 2015

Actually that it was captured on camera is good – it has exposed a problem and will force a remedy.

• jamie

/  22nd July 2015

I think you’re dead right dave1924. And if it is rife through the whole system, then the prisons are nothing more than recruitment centres for gangs and torture chambers for the unaffiliated.

And that is the BEST case scenario by the way.

• kittycatkin

/  22nd July 2015

News.

4. I heard some guy on Talk-back last evening say (paraphrase) :

“Most of the prison population are Maoris, so just let them fight it out”

The host was not impressed & cut him off, quick-smart.
    BUT I’m certain that this widely believed in ‘Red-neck land, NZ’ :/

btw’ Maori ARE over represented in NZ prisons, BUT only make up about 50% (according to stats. I’ve heard)

5. Pete Kane

/  22nd July 2015

I know Zedd. There’s a harshness amongst many of our fellow countryman that just leaves me cold at times. All this though confirms for me just how inappropriate jail is as a solution for so many people eg minor drug offences (and not at all my scene) etc.

• kittycatkin

/  22nd July 2015

The debate about how appropriate prison is for minor offences has been going on for well over 100 years & never been resolved. I would prefer fines, which would mean one less person’s costing a vast amount to keep in prison and would even make a small profit. Even if admin costs used the whole fine, it would be worth it. There are problems with home detention, I know (I must say that I’d infinitely prefer this to prison, myself, though I can well believe that it’s not that soft an option). It’s not the same thing, but I was once confined to the house for some weeks with an injury, and they seemed like as many years-and I have books lining the walls floor to ceiling.

I have heard that prisoners should work to earn their keep, and I agree-up to a point. It would be a very bad idea if they took work from other workers, The unions would be justifiably incensed, and so would I be if I lost or couldn’t find a job of the kind that they’d have because a prisoner had it now.

6. Drop Dead Fred

/  22nd July 2015

Once they get back to running the Prisons how they should be, and actually employ Corrections Staff that are stronger and smarter than the inmates, only then will we see any improvement. At the present time, it has become nothing more than a money making racket for the private operators.

7. kittycatkin

/  22nd July 2015

How do you know that ?

8. kittycatkin

/  22nd July 2015

It seems impossible that the dropping is common; it would be seen on CCTV and there would be hordes of prisoners with horrible injuries.

• TRAPDOOR SPIDERS

/  22nd July 2015

They did of course have legalized ‘dropping’ in Mt Eden for some years – at the end of a rope.

Bring it back I say – and clean the scum out!