Labour’s internal polling

A lot is being said online about a claimed internal Labour poll. Anthony Robins at The Standard has posted Internal polling apparently good.

The word is that Labour’s internal (UMR) polling has them up 6 to 35 with National down 6 to 41. I’d be inclined to dismiss that if it wasn’t similar (same 6% move) to the most recent Roy Morgan just 10 days ago.

But he also posted:

So we at TS don’t usually write on the occasional rumours that we hear. (No – we don’t have any writers who are Labour staffers so we have to rely on rumours like everyone else.)

Is the poll right? It’s possible it was at one point in time. It could also be a cynical attempt to try and manipulate public opinion.

But without knowing the polling period, the size of the poll, the questions asked and the order of the questions then ‘rumour of internal poll’ is meaningless.

That’s if the poll actually existed.

1. rayinnz

/  29th July 2015

And then Colin James using that data was able to trumpet via his “Poll of Polls” how National is toast
    Early days

2. Mike C

/  29th July 2015

Little’s Labour Caucus and Cronies sound like they are in major panic mode 🙂

Trying to shut down their Members free speech, and now this Internal Polling smoke and mirrors stuff. I reckon that Andy has been spooked and worried by Winnie overtaking him in the preferred Prime Minister stakes and is desperately trying to stop his boat from sinking. LOL.

3. “That’s a bit of a stretch, particular after Te Reo Putake admitted recently of being in high level Labour meetings with Andrew Little. Te Reo Putake is very active commenting on the post.”

Did I say that, Pete? I kinda doubt it, seeing as it ain’t true. Are you sure you’re not bigging up my modest influence just a tad?

• Missy

/  29th July 2015

Actually, you said in a comment at TS that you had been in a meeting which was discussing matters relating to the party and Andrew Little’s image (I think it was the way he dressed from memory), and you said you would pass on suggestions from another commenter at TS on how Andrew Little could improve his performance when talking to the media – something about him projecting his voice better. This implies you attend high level Labour Party meetings, or one’s involving Labour Parliamentary staff – or were you exaggerating?

• Thanks, Missy.

That was a public meeting in a small rural town and it was attended by a local Labour MP who is much better placed than I to talk to Andrew about his rather natty dress sense.

If there is an exaggeration about the ‘voice’ comment, it wasn’t from me and certainly never said (or implied) that I attend meetings about such matters. I don’t. However, I do have email and fb and I do pass suggestions like that along up the chain. But then every other member can do that and if you are a member of a party yourself, you probably do the same.

If Pete is basing his “high level meetings” comment on either of those two examples, then he really is bigging me up. As I said, it’s simply not true that I attend such meetings.

Cheers and thanks for reading the Standard. Like YourNZ, it does have its moments! TRP

• Missy

/  29th July 2015

Thanks for the clarification, to be fair to Pete I think that comment was based ony interpretation of your comment.

I am not a member of any political party so I really don’t know how the internal workings of parties operate.

Of course I read TS, to paraphrase Sun Tzu – to defeat the enemy you need to know the enemy, so how else can I get an understanding of how the left think? 😉

• Missy

/  29th July 2015

Just checked my comment – I was doing it on my phone, and noticed a typo. The second part of the first sentence should read: ‘to be fair to Pete I think that his comment was based on my interpretation of your comment.’

I apologise if any confusion from my bad phone typing! 🙂

• DaveG

/  30th July 2015

How do you get an idea of how the left think That would be difficult when Helen ruled, she was different! As far as Andy thinks, it’s non strategic stuff, more like “shoots from the hip” ie, hits his foot very often! He doesn’t think things through, he just acts!

• TRP is referring to a different conversation at The Standard Missy. I know the one you are referring to, I saw that too, and it was quite different to the ” public meeting in a small rural town”.

• So what were you referring to, Pete?

• Missy

/  29th July 2015

Ah, a case of talking about different things. I see you posted the comment below (which I have commented on), I definitely agree Pete, it certainly appears to be different to a public meeting in a small town. I was starting to doubt what I had read and interpreted!

• Here is the conversation:

Anne: Glad I’m not the only one who thinks so Karen. te reo putake, you have close contacts to the upper echelons of the party… could you get the word through to Matt McCarten or someone saspo?

Te Reo Putake:

I’ll pass it on, Anne! Last week I was at a meeting where Andrew’s dress sense came under some scrutiny. Seemed funny at the time, but it’s all part of how people perceive him. And anything that improves people’s perceptions of him or helps get the message across is good intel.

“You have close contacts to the upper echelons of the party” and “I’ll pass it on, Anne!” gives a clear impression you will pass things on to the upper echelons of the party, and the following sentence adds to that. Now we know the meeting where dress sense was discussed was a small town but it doesn’t explain why you didn’t attempt to correct “close contacts to the upper echelons of the party”.

• Missy

/  29th July 2015

Pete, that is the comment, I was on my phone earlier (since it was lunch time), and couldn’t easily find it to double check what it had said, but on re-reading it I see my initial impression was right, it certainly makes it sound like TRP is involved in some senior meetings within Labour, whether at a senior party level or with the Parliamentary wing – I definitely would not interpret that as being from a local meeting in a small rural town.

• I guess that’s as close as you’re going to get to admitting you got it wrong, so cheers, Pete. I’m just a mere drudge, but I’ve been around a long time so I’ve met lots of people. It’s no secret that I know Andrew. I put up a disclaimer when I posted in favour of him getting the leadership. But NZ’s a small place and I know a few Tory MP’s too. But they’ve never invited me to ‘high level meetings’ either, which is a shame because I imagine they have better booze.

• This isn’t a very good denial. It’s trademark TRP diversion from addressing what’s being discussed.

You haven’t directly denied ‘high level meetings’, if you do I’ll accept that, but otherwise it’s still a possibility.

Back to what was actually posted at The Standard:
          Anne: “you have close contacts to the upper echelons of the party… could you get the word through to Matt McCarten or someone saspo”

Te Reo Putake: “I’ll pass it on, Anne!”

So no denial you have “close contacts to the upper echelons of the party” (and you have known Little for some time), and you agreed to “pass it on” to “Matt McCarten or someone” in the upper echelons of the party.

And it was you who associated this with “Last week I was at a meeting where Andrew’s dress sense came under some scrutiny”.

You now claim that was a low level meeting. Will you admit that the initial conversation with Anne looks misleading on that?

• Pete, I denied it upthread. In my first comment, actually. And my second. And my fourth. You got it wrong, that’s all. It happens.

• And TRP, at timers you’ve sounded like you know Andrew Little personally, does that go back to his union days?

4. hair apparent

/  29th July 2015

If Labour really want to get their poll-numbers up, perhaps Andrew could look at introducing policy to limit immigrants from Mexico. It worked wonders for Donald Trump……

• Missy

/  29th July 2015

Didn’t he try something along that lines with the Chinese, and it didn’t really work – not sure that kiwi’s dislike the Mexican’s more, there may be better luck if he substitutes Australians instead of Mexicans…. 😉

• If labour really want to get their poll numbers up ……. Two main ways ;

1) Andy resigns, moves to Aussie stating he always preferred their national anthem, and hates John Key for trying to change the flag because he wanted to do it ANC key stole the idea!

2) As above, plus take Russell Norman with him!

And to really improve Labour in the polls;

3) 1 & 2 above plus appoint Colin Craig as Labour leader As he is bound to be more popular than Angry Andy! (Plus he seems to have some time on his hands and can step into the void Andy might leave)

Couldn’t resist 🙂

5. Mike C

/  30th July 2015

@tereoputake

Well, Pete George and Steve both seem pretty positive that you are somehow connected to Andrew Little, and I am inclined to believe them 🙂

• Well, I’m convinced, too, Mike! He’s the leader of the party I’m a member of and i’ve known him prior to that, as I’ve already mentioned on this thread. As Steve notes, identity outing is really best left to fucktards. Ironically, the last person to make noises about doing that to me was Pete George. Funny old world, eh!

• Mike C

/  30th July 2015

@tereoputake

The way some of you guys at the Standard have treated Pete over there, it is a miracle that he hasn’t named names and outed anyone.

But Pete George has got the Royal Family’s dignified composure and the patience of a Saint, and he’s refused to lose his cool. If I had been in Pete’s shoes, I would have revealed heaps of stuff about you people a long time ago. LOL.

It’s a very different place in here compared to over at the Standard, because all Political Party opinions are welcomed and respected, and most of us in here enjoy having a good decent honest debate with others who have a totally differing point of view 🙂

I tried conversing with folks over at the Standard a few times last year, but I gave up, because a blog with only one way traffic is not terribly enjoyable or enriching.

• I thought I remembered your handle, Mike! You’re always welcome back. Obviously the Standard is a left wing site, so the opinions lean that way. YourNZ leans the other way and that’s reflected in the posts and comments. However, TS is a big, busy place, with hundreds of comments and thousands of readers every day, so it operates on a different scale to Your NZ. I guess that allows PG to operate differently and to provide a different, niche experience.

Regarding revealing stuff about commenters, even threatening to do so is bullying, and despite one intemperate moment, I really don’t think Pete is that kind of guy. But then, I doubt he knows who I am anyway. If he did, he certainly wouldn’t be saying I attend ‘high level meetings’ because it would be patently obvious that I don’t!

All the best, hope to see you back at TS some sunny day. TRP

6. Mike C

/  30th July 2015

@TRP

I have just checked the long term weather forecast, and “One Fine Sunny Day” is not on the horizon in the foreseeable future at the Standard. LOL.

Seriously though, thank you for the invite, and I’d like to respond to your cordiality by saying “Never Say Never” 🙂

1. Blog comments on the unpublished polls | Your NZ