Not a Chinese sounding name

This email arrived overnight:

Hello

My Dear, How are you doing? I need your help to buy Houses / Factory
in your country, I want to invest my money in Production Industry in
your country. Dr. Henry Desmond.

Sounds more like a Nigerian name to me. This is a new (to me) and topical attempt at what presumably is an attempted scam.

1. Rev Father August Goodluck

/  19th September 2015

Perhaps forward the email to the Stevenson Group

They’ve got a huge tract of land going begging near Taupo that the good Doctor might be interested in.

Maybe you could just look to ‘clip the ticket’ when it settles?

2. kittycatkin

/  19th September 2015

It doesn’t sound like an African name, either. It is the feeblest attempt that I have yet encountered, and I have encountered some feeble wouldbe scammers of this type. (eyeroll)

/  19th September 2015

I had the Indian IT Dept scammers yesterday. He got about half a sentence out before I told him to piss off and annoy someone else and hung up.

• kittycatkin

/  19th September 2015

How ungrateful when someone at Microsoft goes to the trouble of tracking you down and ringing you up to tell you that they have found a virus on your computer ! Shame on you ! 😀

• kittycatkin

/  19th September 2015

I read about a man who said to the caller that he wasn’t very computer literate, so he’d put his daughter on the phone, which he did-and listened in glee as the daughter, who was two and loved talking on the phone, babbled away to an increasingly irritated scammer who eventually hung up.

/  19th September 2015

Yes, I am an ungrateful sod. Another time I asked how I could tell if he was genuine and if he could give me the name of the nearest police station so I could check with them. Somehow all my conversations are short.

4. Joe Bloggs

/  19th September 2015

That’s exciting news Dr Desmond…first things first, we need your deposit of $500,000 by the end of the week as the first instalment on our finder’s fee

5. As an Asian Kiwi I can assure you that China has global ambitions and we are in their sights. They’ve bought up resources everywhere, from mines in Africa, to houses in America, to farms in New Zealand. Kiwis have got to wake up to reality. We need a John Howard in NZ who has the guts to say “we will decide who comes to this country and the circumstances in which they come.”

6. This site is a bit of a laugh. They bait the scammers and keep them on the hook, sometimes for months.