Freed?

Freed was announced by Cameron Slater over a year ago, when he claimed it would be up and running by the election (September 2014 presumably).

He also claimed there was million dollar backing for it. Job applications were south in December. But it has fizzled out since then apart from an occasional mention.

On a Whale Oil post yesterday – BLOOD ON A NEWSROOM FLOOR – Freed got a promotion from Spanish Bride:

Pity, it will take some of the thrill out of launching Freed if the competition is already half dead. Nah just kidding… it will still be a thrill.The MSM and the twateratti like to think Freed isn’t going to happen. I do hope they keep believing that as it will make the launch that much more satisfying.

Where are we at with Freed by the way?

The day it launches will be the first day you hear about it.

There is no new sign of action on Freed’s website or on their Facebook page.

As anyone heard of anything else on this?

Previous Post

1. Mike C

/  24th September 2015

That million dollars has no doubt been frittered away by the Slaters long ago.

I find it surprising that Spanish Bride and BlubberBoy have still kept on mentioning Freed from time to time over the past year or so.

If only the Slaters had been honest with us, and just said that the Freed enterprise had fallen on its arse, then people would have shrugged their shoulders and moved on.

The situation as it stands right now only succeeds in making the Slaters look even more untrustworthy and shady.

• But somehow still gives cause for imagination. I can see it now in a Monty Python skit, the upmarket lawyer arriving and parking his briefcase on the table. Camera pans then accidentally on purpose scans close up the embossed gold name on the case – “Bullshit, Bluster, Blubber & Bride.”

• Kevin

/  25th September 2015

“That million dollars has no doubt been frittered away by the Slaters long ago.”

Defamatory unless you can show it’s true or point to facts on which it is based.

2. traveller

/  24th September 2015

It’s hard to imagine what a mess it would be were editorial control given to Belt or Slater.

3. DaveG

/  24th September 2015

I for one wish them all the best, Spanish bride writes excellent and well documented / supported articles on charter schools and other matters that the MSM fail to mention. The articles by Stephen cook are also good, and I will always be interested in what CS writes, hard hitting and factual, no polish or political BS involved. Let’s also remember the turmoil they have been through over the last year or so, the hacking, leaking of all that personal info etc, it all takes its toll. I hope Freed makes an entrance soon and has the last laugh at the MSM, or media party but particularly the nastier ones at Granny Herald, the once proud and prominent paper from Wilson and Horton, now not worthy of lining the cats litter tray!

• traveller

/  24th September 2015

Slater was lethally dealt to by very clever and much more experienced and nuanced political operatives. Mr/Ms Hacker and Hager and co really owned him. Whatever side you’re on he’s never been able to take a retaliatory scalp. Leaving aside the ethics of the hack and the politically edited content of the book, Slater depiction as a show-off and a bumbling, cynical opinion for lucre writer has stuck. The lasting result is his reach and influence are diminished and his opinion not often sort or valued in the MSM. Recent, strange events with Ben Rachinger and the hack talk there show me he’s still clumsily backing the wrong horses. His railing against the government goes down like a cup of cold sick with his National Party readers and as he’s never got a scoop anyone cares about other than Len Brown (who is still there) what’s he achieving . Freed better be a giant step up and a revival, but the more time goes by it’s seeming less likely. However, good luck to them as NZ really needs more right and centre voices.

• Mike C

/  24th September 2015

@Trav

Slater is not even remotely “Right or Centre” 🙂

He is in a somewhat indescribable category all on his own. LOL.

• DaveG

/  25th September 2015

@Traveller, and what has become of Rachinger, or the bent rat singer as he has been called? After all his statements, he has gone, sunk, and nowhere to be found. Slater gave him an opportunity, posted a few of his videos, said they aren’t quite where he stood, but he put them up, and gave him an audience. I still wonder if the video’s were used to gain access to the WO website, and into Slaters systems. (just a theory, I’m not an IT expert)

• Cook’s articles typically deal with minor, petty issues in which nobody really has an interest. And there is a vindictiveness to them, like he is campaigning for the subjects to be prosecuted. That’s a fundamental misunderstanding of what a journo is supposed to do…

• “….Spanish bride writes excellent and well documented / supported….” You are kidding, right? If not you really need to do some investigation of your own regarding the sites she links to for support. Especially for her scary mooslims rants. Absolute rubbish to say the least.

• DaveG

/  25th September 2015

Rob. Have you ever properly researched the issues you mention above, have you visited a lot of the muslim aeas in say, even Sydney? I note you suggest SB does not research, yet you dont provide any links, or sources to discredit her. Me, well I have lived in some predominantly Muslim areas, operated a vast network of businesses employing large numbers of Muslims, and I concur with her articles. Most Muslims are peaceful, caring and nice people, but the more extreme ones would do you extreme harm, and not blink or think about what they did, i have had several people like this in my employ, one ended up on Terrorism charges, and is now serving time in Aussie.. If you do have a TRUE and proper insight, and its first hand, please tell us, otherwise, you have just been critical without any evidance!

• DaveG. In regards to research, just about every article SB has written will have a link. Look at these links and then follow their links. Check out the people behind them. That is all the discrediting needed. They cherrypick, distort and in some cases outright lie. They depend on people like you and SB who will read something and take it as absolute fact without question in their race to hatred. Some are openly anti semetic, anti gay and outright racist. White power. SB even got caught out by satire in her race to hate. In other words, as long as it suits her agenda the source doesn’t matter.
          As for experience, why yes, I have plenty. I lived and worked in Europe for over 3 years and am currently here for 10 weeks. You believe in no go zones because somebody said so? Every large city in the world has areas where sensible people won’t go after dark. It’s called crime. When the idiot in the US came out with that people here were shocked at how someone could be so stupid. The main concern with immigration here is the costs involved and the lack of housing and services required. But all you will see reported are stories about the trouble makers, never the ones who are head down bum up trying to make a better life for themselves and their families. Bad news sells.
          Wow, 1 on terrorism charges. I lived in Australia for 11 months. Met some bad bastards, every one of them a white as a sheet aussie. Every group has it’s idiots and losers but SB likes to paint all muslims with the same broad brush. Do you?

• DaveG

/  25th September 2015

Rob, I stand by my comments, and regarding your comment “likes to paint all Muslims with the same broad brush. do you?” See my original comment, the one you replied to, my words were “Most Muslims are peaceful, nice and caring people”. Kind of answers your question prior to you asking it!

But I add, in my experiance, whilst a lot of other ethnicities manage to a large extent to assimilate well, Muslims retain their very different religion and beliefs. I have had a few close a business as they had to go and pray, refuse to do various duties as they conflict with their religion and many many more. I have not had this with many other cultures.

PS: Bum down trying to make a better life for themselves, not all are like that, have you seen the scams a lot run, have you seen the issues with the majority or 7-11 Muslim franchisees in Aussie, defrauding workers of wages, at almost 3/4 of their 600 + outlets, and I know that is the tip of the issue, whilst it’s not exclusively an Muslim issue, it does tend to follow those from the Muslim dominant regions.

• In regards to 7-11 that seems to be their business model. If you do things by the book you’ll work your ass of for nothing. Not saying it’s right, it’s not. Seems the problem exists everywhere with 7-11 not just Aus. Asians and Indians have been done for the same type of thing in NZ and you’ll probably find a great number of 7-11s are Indian owned. Personally I don’t see the Muslim dominant thing.
          My original comment was in regards to SBs sources being absolute rubbish. I stand by that. Next time you read an article by her, check the source material and their sources. Bullshit piled on top of bullshit.

4. RightOfGenghis

/  24th September 2015

I was cut down in the carnage leading up to the last election for something fairly inocuous and have never returned as a commenter (or donor). But hey no hard feelings. I still go there to be entertained. Slater has a style and direct prose that most journos can’t match and shoot me down in flames but I think a paid subscription model could work as long as he can keep his sidekick under control

• Mike C

/  24th September 2015

@Ghengis’s Right One

You have gotta be kidding me. LOL.

If you didn’t learn from the experience of being cut and burned by Slater’n’Co … then you will never learn 🙂

• RightOfGenghis

/  24th September 2015

Come on mikey your ramblings fit the profile of a spurned lover, I bet you still take a sneaky peek when no-one is looking ;).

• Mike C

/  24th September 2015

@RightyRightRight

LOL. Not a chance.

I only know what Slater is saying over there if George reports on it … or if one of our fellow commenter’s writes something about what he has said.

If you enjoy spending your time with your nose pressed up against the window over there, then that is your choice to do so.

However, that is not my idea of having a good time 🙂

• DaveG

/  25th September 2015

Ghengis. I recall you on WO, liked your style and you made some good comments. Its a shame so many were cut, the hard line could have been softer, introduced over a longer period etc. Nevertheless, its a good blog, lots of articlse, lots of really good commentors, and they combine to give a good perspective on the issue, and feel of th eissue from the commentors.

5. SteveRemmington

/  25th September 2015

I’d just like Cam to return to writing about what he is passionate about.

I’m not interested in payback posts against JK. Cam was playing in a political test match environment and to use his terminology, like the Fijians he smashed his own face into the ground through poor choices, loose lips and nativity. Sadly when he went down a flying elbow also took out Collins who up till then looked remotely capable.

Cam has a market, sadly he now thinks he is bigger than the game. Quite sad as he probably had good intentions when he started blogging. Now…meh…not so much!

6. SteveRemmington

/  25th September 2015

Lol. A down vote? I thought my comment was reasonably charitable. I could have pointed out the Cam was only tolerated in political circles due to the great work his father did within the party but after he became a blog liability he needed to be cut loose regardless of his Political genes.

He became political poison. And it’s really clear by his fall from grace that nobody from a political background endorses Cam as a friend/confidant any more. Ask any minister public ally if they talk with Cam.

He needs to pick himself up, dust himself off and get back to basic instead of anti key/English/Joyce posts. If he can’t then perhaps just as Ryder showed on fight night, Cam really has a weak chin.

• DaveG

/  25th September 2015

There appears to be a random sad downvoter, will downvote anything and everything, I am sure if someone posted, “Best wishes for a great and happy weekend to all on YourNZ” it would still be downvoted. Pete G has mentioned he can’t understand it either!

• Mike C

/  25th September 2015

@DaveG

Whoever the “Dastardly Downvoter” is … they seem happy to swing both ways. LOL.