Slater’s first book topic revealed

After putting out some teasers last week about his first book (with many more promised) Cameron Slater has revealed the title of his book which gives a bit of an idea about the subject matter.

AUTHOR CAM SLATER’S NEW BOOK REVEALED

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 7.57.14 pm

This may or may not address issues around ‘Dirty Politics’.

And that may or may not annoy people who have already ordered copies of the book.

People who have followed Whale Oil over that past few years may guess about some of the possible content as unions and their finances have been covered.

UPDATE: Slater has added this in comments:

So Slater has linked this to his promised Dirty Politics counter revelations by saying it explores what drives him and he is “preparing numerous books that explore those themes”. It could take quite a while and quite a few books to get to the actual Dirty Politics counter story then.

I presume this isn’t aimed at being a money making venture with more instalments than Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit, the box office appeal is substantially lower than  for a fantasy fight fest series.

ANOTHER THOUGHT: Commonly quote in politics – under promise and over deliver. Slater has been promising a counter to Dirty Politics for a year or more, and his first book at least seems like a major under delivery.

1. Guest

CS has posted this:
    “Nicky Hager told a story about me and framed me in a certain light. That was what he wanted. It became apparent to me in researching and preparing a counter book that I couldn’t do that without first exploring what it is that drives me, how I came to be who I am and so I have and am preparing numerous books that explore those themes.

This is the first one and starts where I started…my first experiences working under unions…and how I came to distrust and dislike unions and why. This is the first time unions have had the microscope put on them…what we have found is interesting.”

He switches from reference to himself (I) to we. If his writing is anything like his ‘investigation’ into Fran O’Sullivan, I’m picking it will be a confusing read and a let down. What is ‘interesting’ to crew WO, is usually uninteresting to everyone else, Cook’s piece on Seth and the two PIs, two recent examples.
    Writing a book doesn’t make CS an author in the sense that he’s good at it, just as being declared a ‘journalist’ makes him one, ‘trained and skilled’. He proves that over and over and over again.

2. 4077th

/  5th October 2015

I’m picking this will not be a “book of revelations” but a book of the finer detail of subject matter already discussed. Probably chapters of long bows and tenuous links but interesting none the less if you have a morbid fascination with Unions and their political aspirations. I hope the literary standards are up to scratch as it is a good opportunity to explore some insights into the often closed shops that are the Unions in New Zealand. To my knowledge nobody has covered this to include all Unions as a single subject so any sunlight would be welcome and probably over due. As mentioned, I hope it delivers the literary competency it deserves. I’ll not be paying for a copy given past donations and loyalty on my part counted for nothing.

• DaveG

/  5th October 2015

Your loss 4077th, I have paid, and will enjoy. Remember, this is the first book, to sell others, this is a must suceed, and I am sure it will.

Ps: Like or Loath Cam Slater, he is correct about unions, Scum of the earth. Just one example from Pete G’s neck of the woods. When operating a sizeable company with branches throughout NZ, we had a person stealing from us in Dunedin. All documented, and days before we approached the individual,they unioned up. Immediately, the meeting had to be postponed, the employee was not feeling well, then delay after delay, and i refused to pay them at all, as they were delaying, so summarily dismissed. The stupid union rep, demended we pay her at least 6 weeks pay, and severance, or there would be repercussions! What repercussions I asked, plenty was the repsonse, and do you really want to damage your companies name. They were told to get stuffed, and we took the file to the police, the employee was charged with theft, later they were convicted and are still paying off the debt, the companies good name was preserved. Oh, several of the remaining employees wanted ot do some damage to the theif, we had to ask for restraint, yet a stupid union tried to muscle in – pathetic.

• 4077th

@DaveG
        I think perhaps you may have me pegged wrong. I would have been far less complimentary of Cam if I was that way inclined. I too have similar views toward unions. I loath their very existence and as I pointed out I hope there is some serious sunlight shone on them. Indeed there is loss but on both parts, they will not have my money and I will not have the book but life will go on.

• Rob

DaveG / October 1, 2015
        “Have ordered a signed copy, and can’t wait for all the juicy details of just who organised, and who funded the real dirty politics operation. Time will tell.”
        Lol yeah, time will tell allright. How much time you got cause I’m sure Slater will string you out at $30 a time for as long as he can. Hager handed Slater his ass on a plate and he has no comeback. Slater knows this and he also knows he can keep you and the rest of the gullibles drooling long enough to take your money.
        DaveG / October 5, 2015
        “Remember, this is the first book, to sell others, this is a must suceed, and I am sure it will.”
        For a book to make any money you need to sell a lot of copies. I doubt he’ll even reach break even point.

3. Maureen W

/  5th October 2015

The announcement has generated avalanche of interest over there, Belt, will be banning people left, right and centre – back to the heady heydays of Dirty Politics:)

• 4077th

/  5th October 2015

Alsomost 3 hours and 5 comments is not what I would call and avalanche but I do agree that there is no doubt policy that will have Belt furiously poring over banned IP’s in the hope he get’s to reinforce his megalomania.

• Maureen W

… was just kidding

• 4077th

🙂 Irony lost on me..

• Maureen

/  5th October 2015

The irony is that there are more comments on the topic here, than at WO

• Mike C

@Maureen

Unless we go over there and look for ourselves, we don’t know if you are kidding or not 🙂

And I refuse to give the Whale any clicks.

• Maureen W

/  5th October 2015

From the avalanche of 5 comments, it’s now soared to 6. (1:54pm)

• Mefrostate

/  5th October 2015

The ban-hammer over there is unbelievable. You literally get banned for expressing a dissenting opinion now, even if it is expressed in neutral language and with sources. Meanwhile the low-calorie circlejerk continues unabated.

/  5th October 2015

The lunatics are being ejected from the asylum. Belt wants it all to himself.

• Mefrostate

/  5th October 2015

The lunatic… is on the grass

• tealeaves

/  5th October 2015

This “blogs that deal with politics” thing is pretty strange. I think I’ve been sin-binned by one for distressing the lead personality by having something to say. I thought that was what the comments section was for, commenting. There seemed to be this rather weird dynamic where I’d say something, then a headline would pop up that appeared to smear me or what I’d said, by analogy. I started to wonder if the person behind it was of a rather fractious nature, or if I was reading too much into the situation. You can’t really tell, can you, because how do you analyse something like that?
              The blog also seemed to heavily up-tick you when you first appeared on the scene, like flirty fishing for converts. I thought I saw that more than once.
              Leaves a bad taste, in the end. Has anyone else had an experience like that?

• tealeaves

/  5th October 2015

It was a bit like you weren’t supposed to have an independant soul. Which was rather gross. I don’t think I’d want to be part of something like that, even if it meant free housing for all and full employment. Which means I don’t think this person is a good influence for the left. Seems to revel in all the worst parts of it. “Mind control”, no religion, false freedom, garbage trawling.

• Sponge

/  5th October 2015

I laughed my tits off when I saw this comment from Cameron on his post today about Corbyn.

“The literal embodiment of a circle-jerk…all sagely nodding and agreeing with each other because to voice a different opinion requires excommunication.”

The irony!

• Maureen W

/  5th October 2015

Much irony indeed. Not sure there’s much chop for the slow strip-tease mode of revealing an unwritten book to an audience of about 7 either, nor prefixing your name with “author”. As Mr Slater was wont to say “explaining is losing”

• Mike C

@Maureen

Are you saying that the commenter’s over there are disappointed by Slaters book … or that they are excited.

I am too scroogey to go over there and give Slater’n’Co any clicks 🙂

4. Some of the comments on Whale Oil fundraiser/sales posts remind me of dubious endorsements in magazine advertisements.

And they remind me of an interesting experience I had when I went to a time share presentation once, where corks were popped whenever a table of suckers (or set ups) signed up.

• 4077th

@PG
      Some of us need to get scammed at least once for us to learn our lesson..me included!

5. Mike C

/  5th October 2015

Who on earth is going to read a book with that sort of subject matter … let alone pay hard earned $$$ for it ???

/  5th October 2015

The problem with megalomania is that it tends to reduce the audience interested in the fine detail down to one person.

7. tealeaves

/  5th October 2015

That’s just utterly bizarre. In a way, who the hell is he and why would anybody want to read “numerous books” exploring his inner workings? This just screams of small pond syndrome where you get these people that in any other country in the world would have next to zero traction, here, they’re celebrities. It really nauseates me and definitely contributes to my lack of T.V ownership. Garbage in, garbage out. (Go for it….)

8. Rob

/  5th October 2015

‘Author Cam Slater’ Could that be called an oxymoron? Extra $10 for a signed copy. Hope the rubes at least get the right coloured crayons for that price. Probably be about 20 or 30 pages of the usual innuendo.

9. Rob

/  5th October 2015

I think I’ll wait for the boxed set. If I’m gonna buy kindling, might as well buy in bulk.

10. mAD MEN

/  5th October 2015

Obviously they weren’t willing to entertain any well researched marketing advice as to an appropriate Title then?

I see the absolute ‘thumbs-up’ winner on this site, was MOBY DICKHEAD

Hopefully it’s not too late to add it to the referendum……

11. Karen

/  5th October 2015

Since Belt arrived watching the Whaleoil website is like watching a car crash but this takes the discomfort and cringe factor to another level.

His long promised Utu is a book/series of books about his experiences and what makes him tick? God the chutzpah of that place is incredible!!!

• Mike C

@Karen

The first thought that came to mind when I read what Slaters book was about, was that he must have some pretty major legal shit and huge restrictions at present, if the first book he writes after Hagers “Dirty Politics” is about Unions 🙂

12. Brown

/  5th October 2015

Quadrant advertised a book on how the Australian secret war – how unions sabotaged the war effort in WW2. My wife bought it for my birthday. It was a sobering read and its unclear why the movements leaders were not shot. The returning servicemen were disarmed when when they paraded to protect the wharfies. That’s unionism run by communists for you. NZ was better but, in some key areas, not by much. I’m not convinced much has changed.

• Rob

/  5th October 2015

That book is opinion only. His ‘facts’ in a lot of cases are merely rumour and hearsay. It’s been bagged by historians and other authors. Riddled with errors.

13. Mefrostate

/  5th October 2015

Over/under on the number of defamation cases started because of this book?

14. Zedd

/  5th October 2015

sounds like YOU, ‘staunch Tories’.. secretly can’t wait to get your first look at it ! LOL :/

• Mike C

@Zedd

Get fucked !!!

No secrets with me 🙂

I’d rather kill myself than ever read something written by Slater again.

• A3 / S2

Methinks thou dost protest too much MC 🙂

• Mike C

/  5th October 2015

Says you who changes their username every 5 minutes.

I am not even giving you a smiley fucking face.

• DaveG

/  6th October 2015

You alone wrote stupid things, you alone challenged Pete, you were banned. Deal with it, the slater obsession with you and others, makes you look as bad as Presland or the worlds greatest SysOp at the Stranded, seriously you are turning this into a blog resembling their public toilet. Whinge, whinge, whinge.

• Is it any different to Slater’s obsessions and whinging on John Key, Kim Dotcom, Muslims, NZ Herald, Nicky Hager etc etc?

• Karen

/  7th October 2015

Yeah that’s true Dave, what’s written here isn’t remotely close to the obsession(s) shown on the Whaleoil website.

I like that this site is opening up the conversation to what other blogs and media are saying.

• Mike C

/  7th October 2015

@DaveG

Who died and made you the “Blog Censorship Police” ???

Over at Slaters blog, it is a case of “Do as I Say … Not as I Do”, and Slater’n’Co write whatever they like about whoever they like … but their commenter’s are not allowed the same privilege.

Here in Georges blog, he writes about the topics that interest him, and he allows commenters the privilege of also speaking their mind.

If you had written your above comment about Slater over in his blog … you would have received an instant ban 🙂

• Rob

/  7th October 2015

See the difference here Dave? If you had posted something like this about Slater on his blog it wouldn’t have lasted 2 minutes and you would be banned. At least Pete has the balls to accept criticism and let it stand, right or wrong. As far as I’m concerned, the more light shone on Slater and his wifes little hate fest the better.
          This from another anti-Muslim thread:”I comfort myself with the knowledge that they call me names to try to silence me because they cannot logically or reasonably refute my arguments.” spanishbride. Why is it that her arguments cannot be refuted? Because as soon as a poster does shoot her arguement full of holes (which is easy to do in every one of her rabid posts) the post will immediately disappear and the poster is banned. They sit in their little cocoon and don’t dare step outside to argue their point simply because they know what they are writing is based on lies and innuendo and if exposed, suckers like you might actually open your mind enough to see it and stop giving them your hard earned money.
          Why do you come in here to argue for them Dave, when they obviously don’t have the guts to do it themselves.

• Zedd… if you insist on call me a Tory, then does Stalinist describe you correctly?

• Mike C

@dave1924

Please don’t go hating upon my friend Zedd 🙂

He says what he thinks … and means what he says.

I respect their opinion more than I do most of the “tories” in here.

15. Jeeves

/  6th October 2015

Zero-hour workers, workers who toil around dangerous machinery, workers who are in unskilled work- sometimes need to be protected from incompetent managers, who will un knowingly compromise safety/health, and often productivity. Whatever you might call that form of protection- it is not the ‘law’ but the agency which brings the law to the employers attention, and sometimes it has to be done under threat of sanctions.

Anybody who simply ‘hates’ unions, needs to suggest a workable model to overcome what is the rank stupidity sometimes of various employers, and protect workers from exploitation.

• I agree. There’s a very good case for effective union representation of workers.

And just like there are some crap employers who need to be held account there are some crap unionists who have abused their power (mostly in the past).

‘Hate unions’ is a stupid position to project. It would be like someone saying they ‘hate bloggers’ because of Slater’s hate speech.

• traveller

/  6th October 2015

I saw a retweet today from Greg Presland. His niece had tweeted the following:

“So how does ~Cam~ Slater get a whole book out of “Dad was Party Pres and I went to Auckland Grammar so I knew unions were evil since birth”?”

16. Kevin

/  7th October 2015

I’m going to get a ebook copy when it comes onto Amazon. I consider myself a Whaleoil guy but I don’t agree with everything that Cameron says. For example I don’t agree with his views on prisoners and beneficiaries. But he is driven and writes with a style that is entertaining and easy to read. Plus he’s exposed stories that the mainstream media should have picked up but either ignored or chose to ignore, like the negative side of Dotcom which the Herald is only now picking up only because it’s being exposed in the courtroom.

I also expect the book not to be about unions as such but one in a series building up to where he is today.

• Mike C

/  7th October 2015

@Kev

If I were you, I would keep my expectations of Slaters book very low 🙂

Also, it’s a wonder you can even find his posts to read them, with them being hidden amongst so much advertising. LOL.

• Rob

/  7th October 2015

And how many times have you actually voiced that opinion Kevin. The Herald is only now picking up? Obviously you either haven’t been paying attention or you’re taking Slaters word for it. Google Dotcom. There is a huge amount of info available and has been since the beginning, not just Slaters rabid rants.

• Maureen W

/  7th October 2015

@ Rob
      “… I consider myself a Whaleoil guy but I don’t agree with everything that Cameron says. For example I don’t agree with his views on prisoners and beneficiaries…”

What a pity you’re no longer allowed to express alternate views. The blog comments now either all support the view of the writer, or there are no comments. Sadly it just looks like a sychophantic circle-jerk now.