Not mother of my nation

Hillary Barry is away and not appearing on the Paul Henry Show this week, She’s away to meet Oprah Winfrey apparently. More reason to avoid TV3 in the mornings when she gets back (I like Barry but can’t stand celebrity worshipping crap).

Stuff reported the big news – Hilary Barry off to meet Oprah

That trivia was bad enough, but this annoys me even more:

Luckily, one of the pantheon was available. Veteran news anchor Judy Bailey, commonly called the mother of the nation, is subbing in until Barry’s return.

Lucky for whom? It may be lucky that I avoid Henry’s show most of the time.

I’ve never been a fan of Bailey’s bland presentation and less of a fan of her attempts to de-age herself, but that’s her business.

But I find it very irritating when celebrity marketers label her a “mother of the nation”.

To me and perhaps most of us New Zealanders she is just party of a dysfunctional family of so-called celebrity self worshippers.

I see nothing that justifies one of them being labelled as the mother of my nation.

1. Good comment Pete. Also can’t stand this celebrity bollocks, makes me despair for the species.

2. Maybe we can have a new roll in the Honours system – the “Mother of the Nation” award.

Imagine the list. Titewhai Harawira? Annette King? Judith Collins? My mum?

• kittycatkin

/  9th October 2015

Titewhai Harawira is more like the archetypal Wicked Stepmother.

3. Maureen W

/  9th October 2015

Agree about the “mother of the nation” title – cringe-worthy. Only have issue with the stupid title – not Judy Bailey – she is an accomplished presenter of long-standing.

• kittycatkin

/  9th October 2015

She is a good newsreader, but that soppy title is just too cringe-making for words. No matter how well someone reads the news….they’re a newsreader.It’s not as easy as one might think. I remember when Lorelei Mason did it-she was all right as a reporter, but she made an embarrassing hash of the news and was soon replaced. I have been in radio, and while I didn’t find it too difficult, broadcasting is NOT as easy as it seems, especially when one is on with some people who seem to go out of their way to be as awkward as possible.

Was the title originally meant to be taken seriously ? It’s the sort of thing that is surely more suitable for someone like Golda Meir or Indira Ghandhi.

There’s an old saying about a week being a long time in television, People are forgotten very quickly indeed.

I can aadmire celebrities if they have done something to celebrate-and Oprah has done that more than anyone.

4. Pythagoras

/  9th October 2015

“Judy Bailey” and “mother of the nation” are synonymous in NZ, as much so as “Pine Tree Meads”, “Piggy Muldoon” or (insert your favorite here). Nothing can be done about it.

I’m not a fan of Ms Middle Class North Shore Bailey either, but I’ll take her any day over the truly dreadful, woefully-lacking-in-compassion, devoid-of-personality, get-a-proper-haircut Mike Hosking. Lol.

Bring back Geoff Robinson to Morning Report, I say. And glad to have Kathryn Ryan on Nine to Noon, extremely professional and always excellent to listen to.

• traveller

/  9th October 2015

Hmmm. Watch yourself Pythagoras – lot’s of Hosk is like my bro around here.

5. Bailey was originally labelled “Mother of the Nation” as an ironic joke. And it was quite a funny one, or at least it was until people started not getting the joke and using it unironically.

I still think it’s funny – I wish other people got it the same way.

6. tealeaves

/  9th October 2015

“Luckily, one of the pantheon was available” – it’s all a bit Brideshead Revisited, isn’t it?

7. tealeaves

/  9th October 2015

I wonder why some people get away with sounding like they just swallowed a truffle and some don’t. When I did my six weeks before dropping out at journalism school, I tried writing an article in a stuffy way, modeling my tone on the restaurant critic of the local newspaper, and got shot down big time by the tutor. That was 10 years ago. It seems they’re not shooting them down for it anymore. Maybe the tide was too big and they just gave up, maybe nobody cares, and maybe some idiot has decided that it sounds better than plain speech in journalism.

• Mike C

/  9th October 2015

@TeaLeaves

Karyn Hay busted through the stupid dumb arse “plum in mouth glass ceiling” way back in the 80’s 🙂

This was not long after Judy Bailey became a Monday to Friday Night TV Presenter on Television One News.

What planet have you been living on for the past more than three decades? LOL.

I speak with a bit of a toffee-mouth accent myself, but I know Karyn Hay personally, and I have never thought she spoke any differently to me, because of the fact that she is highly intelligent, and could beat everyone in here or the Whale or Standard in a verbal debate, any day of the week 🙂

• tealeaves

/  9th October 2015

I would’ve been about 8 when Karen Hay busted through, it’s not something I was concentrating on at the time. I’m seeing it as an emerging trend. Lets pretend we’re as fine as bone china and come from somewhere down a pebbled lane. Or maybe reincarnation is real and the Great Generation or whatever they were called have come back for a visite.