“What is really ridiculous about the whole cannabis debate…”

A comment from ‘Robby’ sums up something that is really ridiculous about cannabis availability in New Zealand:

What is really ridiculous about the whole cannabis debate, is that the people who want a quality product with known medicinal benefits have to source it offshore and smuggle it past customs.

Everyone else (who just wants to roll a spliff and chill) just has to walk down the road and see ‘a guy they know’.

All the stoners get what they want, but the parents of sick kids have to go begging to politicians for medicine. The law is truly an ASS

It’s worse than that. It may be possible to source medicinal cannabis product from within New Zealand – but the quality, safety and composition may be unknown, while safely manufactured well specified product is very difficult to obtain.

1. kiwi_guy

/  14th October 2015

Yes, we need to crack down harshly on dug use.

Lets start with cleaning up the entertainment industry where fame whores openly do drugs for their teenage fans ( and younger) to emulate.

2. kiwi_guy

3. kiwi_guy

4. kiwi_guy

5. kiwi_guy

CHIEF KEEF!

6. kiwi_guy

7. kiwi_guy

/  14th October 2015

Drugs are AMAZING, why aren’t more people doing drugs?!

Its 2015 people!

Millions of men sacrificed their lives in war fighting Fascism so we could have the freedom to get high!

Decriminalise drugs now!

• Kevin

/  14th October 2015

I could be wrong but I sense a little bit of sarcasm. The problem with drugs is their illegality gives them a glamour that they don’t deserve. And drugs are great so long as you don’t mind the headaches, hangovers, drug-induced suicidal thoughts and depression, physical and mental addiction, …

• Rob

/  14th October 2015

What particular drugs are you talking about. If you are including marijuana in your rant then you really need to take a step back. For the vast majority of users the symptoms you’ve pointed out are not a problem. Legalize it, control it’s production and sale. In most countries where it is legal or decriminalized it’s use is lower than where prohibited. Time to step out of the dark and into the real world.

• kiwi_guy

/  14th October 2015

you want to back up that with links to the stats and research?

• Well said Rob
          In many countries (eg NZ) where ‘Prohibition reigns’ the use rates are actually higher than in places that have allowed some regulated use (eg Holland). I visited Amsterdam several years ago & frankly the Dutch are ‘over it; the mystique’ that still attracts many kiwis to the CANNABIS black-market.
          Which again.. makes me wonder why the ‘power brokers’ here still promote prohibition/zero-tolerance, when so many other countries are now moving past it ?

• Rob

/  14th October 2015

I lived in Holland for 3 years and saw it first hand. Most people I met while there know how to use it responcibly and you must be over 18 to purchase it. They’re educated about drug use and yes it has lost it’s mystique.

• kiwi_guy

/  14th October 2015

So much for your age restriction:

Q: What have been the health consequences of the expanded availability of marijuana in Colorado?

A: I can tell you what I’ve seen. We started having these young patients referred to us who were saying, “Why would I want to stop this? It’s my medicine. I’m getting it from my brother or my friend. I’m using it for my anger, anxiety, ADHD.”
              There have been two studies that found up to 74 percent of teens in substance-abuse treatment are using somebody else’s medical marijuana. About 20 percent of teens in primary care are accessing diverted medical marijuana. It’s all diverted through somebody who is 18 or older.

• kiwi_guy

/  14th October 2015

Funny how none of your propaganda articles mention any of this:

“Clinically, it is harder to treat these kids. They come in with a more favorable attitude about marijuana. When they get clean, it’s hard to keep them clean when it’s so easily available and when you can walk down the street and see so many places where you can get it. Think about what that does to somebody who is addicted. It’s much easier for them to relapse. It does present a lot of treatment issues.”

• Kevin

/  14th October 2015

The problem with drugs is that they’re like physics – for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. So the drunker you get the bigger the hangover and the higher you get the worse the crash. That’s my view on them.

But anyway, I agree with you. Legalise them. Remove the glamour and the mystique. My bet is that drug use will then jump as people try them our of curiosity and then plummet as people discover they’re just not worth it.

Personally I’ve never found a drug that I thought was worth the hangover afterwards. In fact I get a better high out of listening to some good music.

• What a load of misinformation & TOTAL CRAP man !

8. The WAR on DRUGS has become a farce.. it creates black-markets & since it commenced, ‘illegal drug’ trade/use has only increased.. not decreased. Methinks its really about keeping the ‘prohibition industry’ : police, customs, judiciary & corrections in ‘gainful employment’ & possibly lining the pockets of ‘corrupt officials’ 😦

The tide is slowly turning.. but it still sounds like many MPs in Aotearoa/NZ just prefer the ‘devil they know’ & fear any change ! 😦
    40 years on & almost nothing has been learned.. “YES it is totally RIDICULOUS”

• kiwi_guy

/  14th October 2015

You are ignoring the culture. Its permissive and decadent, that is where the problem is:

I want to be rich and I want lots of money
      I don’t care about clever I don’t care about funny
      I want loads of clothes and fuckloads of diamonds
      I heard people die while they are trying to find them

And I’ll take my clothes off and it will be shameless
      Cause everyone knows that’s how you get famous
      I’ll look at the sun and I’ll look in the mirror
      I’m on the right track, yeah I’m on to a winner

9. kiwi_guy

/  14th October 2015

Q: Backers of the amendment say occasional, recreational use of marijuana is not harmful. How do you reply?

A: For teens, any marijuana use is harmful. The data show that at least one exposure to marijuana during adolescence confers a doubling in risk of psychosis as young adults. That risk is dose dependent. The more they use, the more they risk developing psychosis as a young adult.
    We know that one in six teens who are exposed to marijuana become addicted to it. That compares to one in nine overall. The earlier you start, the more likely you are to get addicted.
    We know that adolescent exposure can confer decreased IQ. There was a study that came out in 2012 in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, which is a very prestigious journal; a group of researchers from Duke University studied 1,000 people from birth to age 38 and found that those who started marijuana as adolescents and had heavy use in young adulthood had a decrease in cognitive function.
    They ruled out other possible causes, such as other substance use, educational achievement, socio-economic status and more.
    So no marijuana use by teens is acceptable.
    Why that is a big deal, too, is that 58 percent of new users of marijuana are under the age of 18. There are 2.4 million new users in the U.S. every year. It is adolescents who disproportionately use marijuana and it is adolescents who disproportionally suffer the effects.

• kittycatkin

/  14th October 2015

As a teenage to early 20s underundergraduate I smoked dope (so did most people I knew) and it doesn’t seem to have damged our brains if one goes by the achievements of these people-some are world-renowned in their fields.

• Rob

/  14th October 2015

One article. Taliking about children and adolescents. Addicted? Lol You seem to think I’m advocating open slather here. Yeah, give it to children and adolescents in their formative years. Fill em up with alcohol as well. He’s talking about children being given it by adults. Children have become alcoholics at a young age through the irresponcibility of adults so lets ban alcohol for all including responcible adults. Tobacco to. Drunk adult letting a 12 year old drive him home. Better ban cars as well. You’re a wowser who obviously has no intention of looking beyond your closeted view.

• Kevin

/  14th October 2015

No one is advocating making it legal for kids (and IMO that includes everyone under the age of 25 as the brain hasn’t fully developing until then) to use drugs so the link is pretty much irrelevant.

10. Rob

@kiwi_guy
    “Stay away from our children you sick druggie.”
    What a cretin.

11. @’kiwi_guy’

Are you SERIOUS ?
    you sound like an employee of big alcohol or tobacco OR maybe a gang member who wants to keep the status quo.. because it will cut into your profits, if cannabis is legally regulated ! :/

Old saying: ‘Those who fail to learn from the mistakes of the past (Alcohol prohibition 1920s USA) are doomed to repeat them !’
    “WAKE UP MAN.. its 2015; not 1955” Get your head out of the sand !

12. @’kiwi_guy’

it just clicked: your ‘head of the DRUG squad’ & you are pushing this B-S because you fear losing your job ?!
    come on man, we’re not all ignorant: the WORST drug is Tobacco & the 2nd worst is Alcohol, why don’t you get your facts straight ? :/

• kittycatkin

/  14th October 2015

Don’t be silly, Zedd, the head of the drug squad wouldn’t be someone as daft as Kiwi Guy 🙂

• may I recommend you web-search ‘The Emperor wears no clothes’ by Jack Herer (RIP) a book all about the history of Cannabis prohibition & all the LIES & misinformation mostly spread by Harry Anslinger (1st USA Drug Czar) & prohibitionists/drug squads ever since.. then it will become clear “The emperor really IS naked” ; as I’ve said a few times recently :/

• Robby

/  14th October 2015

My thoughts exactly Zedd. Back in the day the highlight of the police calendar was the annual confiscated dope bonfire at the Te Puke timberyard, where every off-duty cop (and any on duty ones who could find an excuse to be in the area) would congregate downwind… Heaven forbid it be legalised, no more free helicopter rides or sneaky buds stuffed in pockets on the way back from a ‘recovery operation’.

13. Mike C

/  14th October 2015

I believe that John Key is starting to move on the medicinal marijuana issue, and I would not be surprised if it got rolled out as a 2017 Election Policy 🙂

That would really stick it to Little and Ardern and Robertson and McCarten … because it would mean “Another Three Years”. LOL.

• @MC
      I know Key said he would be supportive of the issue IF the evidence supports it. BUT I just looked at the figures put out by TV3 ‘Story’ program who did a poll of current MPs on the issue yesterday only 72 in total replied. (21 Nats.) : only ONE of these said “Yes”.. maybe it was Mr Key ???
      I guess this is an improvement from the ZERO who voted to support the 2009 Green mbr’s bill at 1st reading (conscience vote) :/ oh dear…

Between now & 2017 a lot of water will flow ‘under the bridge’ BUT I’m not holding my breath with ‘Team Key’ making a major shift on this. Call me a cynic if you like !

btw; 21 Labour MPs also responded : 16 said YES, ALL 14 Greens & the 2 from Maori party (33 only of 72 said ‘yes’) the rest were either NO or undecided.. this seems very at odds with public polls of >80%

14. Robby

/  14th October 2015

Just finished watching ‘Family Guy’ on 4+1, tonights episode was very relevant to everything said above. Anyone else see it?