Open Forum – Saturday

17 October 2015

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is to encourage you to raise topics that interest you.

Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts.

Your NZ is a mostly political and social issues blog but not limited to that, and views from anywhere on the political spectrum are welcome. Some basic ground rules:

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.
  • Debate hard if you like but respect people’s right to have varying views and to not be personally be attacked.
  • Don’t say to a stranger online anything you wouldn’t say to their face.

Moderation will be minimal if these guidelines are followed. Should they ever be necessary any moderator edits, deletes or bans will be clearly and openly advised.

1. unitedtribes2

Hi folks
    Got my flag flying again. Was just wondering as Pete doesn’t love me anymore is it OK if I play here for a while?

• You’re welcome to play here as long as you play the issues (as hard as you like) and don’t do dirty on people.

• Mike C

@UnitedTribes

Welcome 🙂

If we can tolerate Spanish Bride coming over here to promote that stupid booklet, then we can certainly cope with you. LOL.

2. What was it this time UT?

• unitedtribes2

I mentioned Freed

• Mike C

@UnitedTribes

What exactly did you say about Freed? Was it something that made Belt and Slater look stupid?

• unitedtribes2

/  17th October 2015

No I was being supportive. I think they are getting very sensitive about all the things Cam thinks he’s going to do and then doesn’t. Im not sure I know how to make Belt and Slater look more stupid. Oops I’v broken Pete Georges rule already.

• Honest opinion and observation is fine. You can say how things look to you or how you feel about things, just try to avoid personal abuse.

• Really? That was it? Some people are fairly stressed over there then ….

• Sponge

/  17th October 2015

I think that they have finally come to the realisation that Whaleoil Media is circling the drain. They are flailing around at anyone and everyone it an attempt to appear relevant and it’s not working and in fact is probably making it worse. It is a shame – they had such a great platform to really make a impact but blew it.

• Richard

/  17th October 2015

They are just doing the same as what Labour is doing – trying to chase every single bus, and getting run over …

• The Freed dream seems to have evaporate since the hubris of advertising for staff some months back….. they really need an issue that will resonate but ain’t nothing been feed in by the looks lately since the Anti Key meme got ramped up….

• jaspa

/  17th October 2015

I thought they were trying to promote Freed. Now it’s a dirty word? I can’t keep up.

3. Pete Kane

/  17th October 2015

You have to admit the WO site is a great source of humour (assuming you’re not a current target) .

• True Pete… I visit but have cut down a lot since being banned and having something like 9 months of comments removed…. they have a real issue with the heavy hand but its their blog and they can do as they like I suppose….

• Pete Kane

/  17th October 2015

Dave it’s amazing eh, I mean like where do the energy to remove 9 months of comments just for a start. It’s almost ‘white coat’ material.

• Think it must be relatively easily to do a select and remove in disqus, or do a time based retroactive block. or to write a piece of code that can do either if its not a native Disqus admin function/s. I would expect it would be an admin function you would want to remove comments that breach defamation laws etc…

No one is obsessive enough to do it one by one : )

• 4077th

/  17th October 2015

9 months, I was there for 3 years…counted for nothing after Belt arrived. Am not fussed about it now in fact I’m quietly happy my name is no longer there. It’s probably for the best given the content. 😉

• You where rather pithy 4077… : )

• 4077th

/  17th October 2015

I was pretty, well, “enthusiastic” Dave. Certainly not these days and not left any comments for a while now. Can’t see the point.

• Budgieboy

/  17th October 2015

Counted for nothing 4077th? That can’t be right??? Cam rates loyalty extremely highly, gets very snarky when he perceives it not shown to him, surely there’s not a double standard at play there?

• Karen

/  17th October 2015

That would be double standard # 4876 wouldn’t it?

Oh hell you guys are too nice. I see words like “double standards’ and ‘irony’ when in truth the people running that site are HYPOCRITES! (And yes I see further ‘irony’ that Mr Slater uses that term every 15 minutes)

• 4077th

/  17th October 2015

His loyalty is to his pocket. Sad really, never used to be like that.

• MaureenW

@Budgieboy
            Slater’s loyalty only goes one way – that’s other people’s loyalty to him and not the other way around. Once this is realised, it’s kinda entertaining watching the train wreck.

• Joe Bloggs

/  17th October 2015

It is that, Pete Kane, it is that.

In today’s attempt at cutting edge criticism, Slater uses Phil Quinn’s piece on Labour to observe that:
      “In Labour people aren’t allowed to change their views, have to subscribe to group think and if they don’t then they get run out of town on a rail. Good people have left Labour because of attitudes like these.”

Kinda reminded me of all the good people who’ve left WO for exactly the same reason… the irony, the irony, oh how it burns…

4. missy

/  17th October 2015

Update from my post on yesterday’s open forum – the air quality is getting better, it has dropped a massive 19 (note sarcasm), to 338, (still hazardous). Looks like a day inside reading and watching DVDs…. Even shopping is hazardous!

Oh, and @I see red – these figures are for the Chaoyang Agricultural Exhibition Centre in Sanlitun, Beijing, so no NZ is not getting more like Beijing every day, but the figures are current for one monitoring station in Beijing.

• 4077th

/  17th October 2015

I admit I replied to your comment when my sarcasm radar was faulty..apologies if I came across a bit tetchy.. 🙂

5. missy

/  17th October 2015

@4077th the sarcasm was in relation to the ‘massive drop’ in the AQI today – your comment in yesterday’s OF was perfectly fine, and totally correct! NZ is nothing like Beijing and anyone comparing the two or thinking it is doesn’t have a clue! 😀

6. I’m really starting to wonder where Minister Dunne’s head is at.. he has said he will watch to see what is occurring in USA & Aust. with Medicinal cannabis & likely ‘follow suit’. It is common knowledge that 23 USA states (& likely due to increase soon) are already allowing ‘natural herb’ & extracts to be prescribed. Now I read that Aust. is considering law changes to also allow, research & use in several states.. BUT it would seem that minister Dunne is just ‘watching’ only those states that are currently sticking with the status quo. 😦

OR does Dunne still have pharmaceutical Synthetics, squarely at the top of HIS priority list.. ie “NO to ‘natural leaf’ ” ? :/

• jaspa

/  17th October 2015

I think Dunne is going to the way the pharmaceutical companies want it to go – Sativex etc. will be available, but a big fat NO to the natural product.

On a (hopefully) positive note, I see Kelly van Gaalen’s appeal is set for next week. I really wish her all the best.

• The devil is in the details on this one. Hes not the bad guy you make him out to be.

• ‘Hes not the bad guy…’
        SO why did he give the thumbs up to Synthetic cannabis, BUT not the natural herb (claiming it was more harmful: B-S) ?
        Then stated ‘no conflict of interest’ when the media reported, his son worked in the Synthetic highs industry !

• Rob

/  18th October 2015

I agree with Zedd. There has been far more than enough time gone by and discussion on the matter. I don’t think his hands are tied by national more he ties them himself and then pumps out a few platitudes whilst listening to big pharma rather than than the people. The thing that got me was that anyone with half a brain knew the legal highs industry really had no effective oversite and he pushed for that over a natural product which has been used for thousands of years, is virtually impossible to overdose on and does the job for many.
          Good vid on the subject

Although not the be all to end all, very interesting.
          Legalize it.

7. Mike C

/  17th October 2015

Me and my Uncle just bet a dollar on the All Blacks versus France game tomorrow.

He reckons that New Zealand will score at least 30 points in the game and that they will win.

I was not as confident as him … and I told him that France have bowled us out of the Cup before … and that means that they can do it again.

If we win tomorrow morning … then I will happily pay my Uncle a dollar 🙂

And if France lose … then I won’t take my Uncles dollar. LOL.

8. Firstly – Go the AB’s, two more matches to go!
    Next, I see that the ravers are going once again supporting palestinian radicals in their current “stab a Jew” programme. Having listened to and watched the rantings of the so-called Muslim cleric, I would dearly love to see and hear condemnation from all NZ resident Muslims about the hatred being expressed by that sort of person. In my view, to be filmed calling for the youth of the region you are living in to form gangs to isolate, hold and stab people who are Jewish -or Kiwi for that matter- as part of their attempt to annihilate a whole people puts them in the same category as the Nazis who tried the “final solution”. It is time for our Politicians to once again re-emphasise to these criminal palestinians that their current policies are abhorrent and have no merit whatsoever.

• Rob

/  18th October 2015

It always amuses me to see people calling for all muslims to condemn the actions of the few. Funny how you don’t see the same calling for all christians to condemn the actions of the christian crackpots some of whom openly advocate death to gays or the need to invade muslim countries and whip a little christianity on them among other things. A good proportion of muslims are not overly religious so why should they be told to apologize or condemn the actions of those who are.

• jaspa

/  18th October 2015

I think the difference is that the christian crackpots who openly advocate death to gays aren’t actually actively throwing them off buildings. I imagine if they were there would be a certain amount of condemnation from more moderate christians.

• Rob

/  18th October 2015

Would all christians be out there pounding the keyboard or taking to the streets to condemn it? Doubt it. There is a already condemnation from moderate Muslims.

• jaspa

/  18th October 2015

You are right, Rob. I am not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that there is a difference. Hopefully, though, we will never find out what the christians would do as we don’t need more gays thrown off buildings.

Anyway, if all the more moderate muslims did come out and express condemnation would the radical ones even listen to them? Or would it make them even more angry and determined?

9. My heart was uplifted by the ABs result. I was referring to the specific racial hatred exemplified by the ravings of the Mad Mullah in palestine against Israeli citizens. I fail to see the connection between Christians and Gays and what I have said, but Rob seems to get his entertainment in a strange way.

10. Have a look at the news from Germany where apparently a supporter of Muslim”Refugees” (if there is such a thing) was stabbed while waiting for a feed after being to the pub. He didn’t know why he was picked out. Obviously he was regarded as being a haram idolater. But a gang of Muslim refugees were responsible for the stabbing. We need to be very careful about those refugees we allow here in NZ.

1. Overdose on irony | Your NZ