Dotcom claims National killed Campbell Live

The Herald has an item previewing a John Campbell exclusive “I was devastated” due out in Metro today that gives Campbell’s views on the demise of Campbell Live earlier this year.

John Campbell breaks his silence: I was devastated we couldn’t make show work

John Campbell has finally spoken of the dramatic cancellation of his show Campbell Live and his subsequent departure from TV3, saying his axing came as a shock and left him grieving.

“I still feel sad about it,” he said. “It wasn’t about me or my career or anything, because what I believe we created was a model of constructive, illuminating, empathetic television that also had enough going for it to commercially be sustainable. And I was devastated by our inability to make that work.”

There’s no mention in the Herald article about Kim Dotcom but he refers to it in a tweet:

Kim Dotcom Retweeted nzherald

Your brave investigative journalism about my case killed your show. National killed it. I’m so sorry .

So Dotcom is claiming his story killed Campbell Live, and somehow National is responsible. I’ve seen this claimed on the activist left but I’ve never seen it substantiated close to adequately.

Dotcom could claim his story mortally wounded the Mana Party election chances but somehow I doubt he was responsible for all the ratings problems of Campbell Live and TV3 (Story is a similar story with no stories done on Dotcom).

1. kittycatkin

/  22nd October 2015

Oh, for goodness’ sake; all shows come to an end eventually.

Why and how could National kill Campbell Live ? If the ratings had been good, it would have gone on. They weren’t, so it didn’t..

Dotcom put the fat in fatuous.

(watches Mike C go green because he didn’t think of this first)

• Mike C

@Kitty

Yeap … I am so jealous 🙂

• kittycatkin

Nyeh, nyeh, I knew you would be 😀 😀 😀

• traveller

/  23rd October 2015

This week’s beer to kittycatkin! 🙂

• traveller

/  23rd October 2015

Dotcom and John Campbell both see themselves in the middle of the universe. It shows the measure of Campbell that he saw fit to not only entertain this crook, but promote his aspirations and fight his corner. Any good he may have done in his advocacy journalism was neutralised by his ridiculous line on the GCSB and the self-serving common criminal Dotcom.
          My favourite moment in the last decade if NZ politics was when Campbell was owned by Key.

2. Mike C

John Campbell is yet another one who visited DotCom at the Mansion 🙂

Anyone that has a relationship with DotCom ends up having bad shit happen to them … because DotCom is poison. LOL.

• kittycatkin

/  22nd October 2015

He seems to have no loyalty to anyone but himself. Other people seem to be expendable.

It must have been a blow to his ego when he saw the pictures of his wife and Max Key who is young enough to be his son-but in the unlikely event of Mona D and Max Key having enough in common to go out with each other, the age gap wouldn’t be wide enough to make them look like an odd couple.

3. Ahhhh John Campbell… man of principle… a principle so BIG he went and took a cushy job at Radio NZ which has now turned into Checkpoint with pictures…..coming to your electromagnetic spectrum soon

If JC was a real crusader he would have formed his own enterprise and asked for subscriptions a la PBS in the USofA then he would have had full ambit to crusade to his hearts content… I have said this on a number of blogs including the Standard…. but typical sponge he took the soft route and will now be on the State payroll crusading on tax payers coin…. John you truly aren’t my hero….

• Sponge

Pardon?

• Not sure what “Pardon?” means Sponge?

Campbell has a big I was shafted article positioned just as he moves into a nice enhanced role at Nat Radio on Checkpoint as per the link.

If he really thinks that pollies knobbled him – he could have formed a private venture beyond politican reach and been funded by those who think he is the greatest journo going in NZ right now.

My view of him is somewhat different

• Sponge

/  22nd October 2015

I was being facetious about this “but typical sponge he took the soft route”.

I don’t disagree with anything in your post. Campbell is a sanctimonious prick.

4. kittycatkin

/  22nd October 2015

I think that his show had run its course and it was time for something new (not that Story is that great if the few bits that I have seen are typical)

It had become rather sentimental and self-admiring, also he could be very confrontational, I think. I seldom watched it, for those reasons. I did see the story of the Bartletts who had let their insurance lapse several years before disaster struck and some of the one about the family of five in a two bedroom house, but who had refused a three bedroom one because the mother wanted her sons to have a bedroom each.

• jaspa

/  23rd October 2015

It was the empty fridge series that did it for me. Featuring a family with an empty fridge, but forgetting to edit out the shot of the recycling bin overflowing with empty alco-pop bottles – it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out why the fridge is empty. And John Campbell hysterically blaming John Key, pffft.

• kittycatkin

/  23rd October 2015

I didn’t see that, but I heard similar stories about another poverty-stricken family whose bin was full of such things as beer tins and KFC boxes. He also didn’t mention or glossed over the fact that the woman who was in a two-bedroom state house with her four sons had refused a three bedroom one because she wanted her boys to have a bedroom each when she died.

5. Mike C

/  22nd October 2015

I am so glad Campbell Live is gone.

It was old and tired.

Viewers and Listeners and Readers need to be stimulated entertained and challenged.

Campbell was no longer achieving that.

/  22nd October 2015

Actually CL killed TV3 for me after years of preferring it to TVNZ 6-7:30. It got so sanctimonious and one-eyed it was unwatchable for its last couple of years and Hosking created an alternative.

• kittycatkin

/  23rd October 2015

I liked CL when it began, but stopped watching it when it became a sentimentalist tear-jerker. This and the increasingly hectoring tone of the ‘interviews’ was a real turn-off. It wasn’t current affairs, it was tabloid style would-be journalism.

6. John Schmidt

/  22nd October 2015

Campbells program that outlined Dotcoms version of events was absolute nonsense. Taking a series of unrelated events and inventing a story line to try and link the events into a cocktail and bull story was always going to end in tears. Credibility goes out the window when you follow untrue story lines. It’s not as if Dotcom did not have form. His past convictions for fraud etc is not the hallmark of a honest man. Campbell should have known this and been much more careful in providing support to Dotcom.

• DaveG

/  23rd October 2015

@John. If I recall correctly, little Johnny’s interviewing of KDC was very similar to the Len Brown love in. Neither were interviewing, but JC making a series of support statements, and bringing their opponents or opponents tactics into disrepute.

7. Robby

/  22nd October 2015

Personalities, and whatever opinions you have of our fuller figured german permanent resident, should be put aside. Take a step back, and a deep breath, and ask yourself if it is right that someone who has every right to be here, and has never threatened anyone in NZ with violence, gets his home invaded by armed cops on the whim of an overseas ‘Authority’…….

• No deep breath required. That helicopter heist was straight off the Hollywood movies. Maybe that’s the way the US does things but it has no place in New Zealand. Having seen many AOS callouts, our cops just don’t act that way.
      That said, the charges Dotcom is up for need to be addressed and the sooner the better. Take another step back and you’d have to agree his conduct throughout the election campaign did nothing to enhance his public image or suggest in any way he might be a valuable New Zealand citizen.

• Robby

/  23rd October 2015

To put it very crudely Duncan, he shat in his own bed. But that happens easily, when the whole world is watching you, and eagerly awaiting the first time you fuck up. So lets get some perspective on this, he organised a server where people could store data, and people decided to store copyrighted data on this server, then posted links to it from other sites. What a criminal, lets let him be extradited to face a Kangaroo court….

• I agree that the raid was over the top and seemed disproportionate to the alleged crimes. I also think that is fair to address the proliferation of blatant downloading of copyright material.

And a third agreement, on the expensive and futile election stunt. And now Dotcom says he has insufficient funds to defend himself – did he bet his bank on winning the election as a defence?

• DaveG

/  23rd October 2015

just to put that into perspective. A man of means, a known criminal, a man with access to helicopters, planes, trains and automobiles. A man who had had armed guards, and a man who had a large panic room. Was the drama necessary, no. But, the police still needed to act, and be armed and cautious. As it was, they had to break into the Panic Room as the fat German had locked himself in there.

Now, can any other readers please identify if they have a need for a panic room….. no!

• Mike C

@DaveG

LOL … you have just written almost exactly what I wrote on this subject about a month ago 🙂

8. DaveG

/  23rd October 2015

Campbell killed off Campbell live all by himself, a steady decline in ratings and viewers, which means revenue for his employers, who were trying to run a commercial enterprise. But Campbell ran ran the show his way, and the way his producer, Pip Keane also wanted, Pimping the Poor, attacking the government, and running socialist propaganda.

Let’s not forget a few key events that in my opinion hastened his decline, firstly his terrible interview with John key, the hatred and ranting from Campbell should be taught to all Churnalist students as a classic case of how not to conduct an interview, Key owned him, and reduced Campbell to a raving venom filled idiot, even B Edwards (that’s Dr Brian Edwards) a strong Labour man stated of the interview: “Raving is not interviewing, John. A graceless and embarrassing performance. This from your greatest fan. Brian”

And the crunch, Campbell was offered another contract but declined to accept it, so he RESIGNED. They did not shut his show down, they sought CHANGE, he refused to accept.

Now just for good measure…… Campbells qualifications, an arts degree, then after Share Trading (perhaps thats why he hates JK, as he was not the best at share trading) a business reporter BUT he had no journalism training, apart from being a screaming lefty.

Finally, and here he and KDC are, surprise surprise trying to rewrite history, leaving out key facts, and claiming the Martians stole his show. Dream on John and KDC, thanks for proving neither of you have learnt a damn thing!!

• Robby

/  23rd October 2015

Thanks for being clear on who ‘B Edwards’ was, I read a review on Amazon a few days ago, and got a little confused……

9. Budgieboy

/  23rd October 2015

In regards to dotcom, I just wish John Key was the all knowing all powerful mongrel (with the machiavellian tendencies) that the loons on the left attribute to him.

If he was that guy he would have ran dotcom out of town long ago. And I would have cheered from the sidelines.

10. Loki

/  23rd October 2015

Campbell wasn’t sacked. He was offered a new deal and declined it.

• insider

/  23rd October 2015

I understand he initially declined to be part of a two person format, thinking he could hold out due to his fan club. Management weren’t moved and Campbell eventually caved and said he’d do whatever management wanted, however the offer was no longer on the table.