Argentina 15 – Australia 29 (fulltime)

There’s more interest in the second semi final (for me anyway) now we know that New Zealand are through to the final.

I don’t care who wins this one. It would be good to come up against Australia, but it would be cool to see the quiet achiever Argentina make it as well.Only one can make it obviously.

Either will do, the important bit of this weekend is over, I can just get up and enjoy the game in the morning.

The game starts at 5 am tomorrow NZ time as England have just gone off daylight saving so we shift an hour from today’s time difference.

I really don’t know who will win this one. May the best team be not quite good enough next weekend.

UPDATE: So after a torrid game Australia held out a relentless Argentinian attack through the second half and are through to the final against New Zealand.

This will be the first time New Zealand and Australia have contested a word cup final. They’ve been the two best teams in the tournament so it should be a cracker of a final.

1. Mike C

/  25th October 2015

Psychologically, I think we will do better against Australia in the final.

Argentina often play like France … and if they get into the final … they will probably try to accidentally on purpose injure some of our important players … such as Dan Carter and Richie McCaw.

If we don’t have Carters boot and McCaws leadership on the field … then there is a big possibility that we may not win.

And I really want us to win.

So I want the Aussies to win against the Argies … 36 to 17 🙂

• Jock Strap

/  25th October 2015

Have no fear MC – irrespective of tomorrow’s outcome, the RWC will be safe back here for another four years.

And I know of an Aussie bookie that will be at least 5k lighter for the experience 🙂

2. Robby

/  25th October 2015

Sorry Mike, I suspect you are pretty close with your scores, but once again its’ the wrong way around. So here’s my uneducated guess: 27 to 22, with the Argies in front

3. Robby

/  26th October 2015

Jeez, good start by the Aussies

4. Robby

/  26th October 2015

I’ll be eating my my hat shortly Mike if it continues like this…

5. Robby

/  26th October 2015

Or maybe not…..

6. A good first half from Australia, a couple of very good tries plus an intercept try. The ABs will be working out how to deal with long wide passes this week.

Argentina have looked ok at times but have made a lot of mistakes and silly decisions. Then points behind at half time isn’t too bad considering.

7. Robby

/  26th October 2015

Would be very interesting to be a ‘fly on the wall’ in the Argies dressing room right now. 40 mins to go……………..I’m cautiously optimistic……

8. Robby

/  26th October 2015

About time you updated the score Pete…

9. Robby

/  26th October 2015

22-12 to Aussie ATM

10. Robby

/  26th October 2015

So it’s us vs aussie in the final? Good game Argentina

• Mike C

/  26th October 2015

@Robby

It was actually a good game to watch.

The Argies just missed out on a couple of well set up tries, which was the difference between winning and losing at the end of the day.

It was interesting to see how many Aussie players had “blood” injuries to their faces, which is one of the reasons that I didn’t want us to play Argentina in the final 🙂

Another reason I didn’t want us to play the Argies … is because Nicolas Sanchez is such a good kicker and had the highest point scoring in the World Cup. Sanchez is a better kicker than Dan Carter … whereas the Aussie kicker isn’t as good as Carter.

Australia used some really clever tactics in that game … so I hope that our All Blacks are on form on the day of the final.

• Robby

/  26th October 2015

Yup, saw the bloodied faces too, but no-one in the sin bin….

• It looked like a battle of attrition and the Wallabies looked like they were also getting tired. That’s their fourth hard game on the trot, and they have one day less than the ABs to recover. If we don’t let them get a substantial lead I think we have a good chance of wearing them down and finishing better.

Whether that will earn a win is another story.

• Mike C

/  26th October 2015

@Robby

Yeah … those Argies are very clever at making sure that they don’t get caught by the camera or referee when they smash their opponents faces 🙂

11. i hope the AB’s have a very long look at the Aussie tackle ball situation tactics…. to me they seem to not be trying very hard to move away after making a tackle, with the intent of slowing down the entry of the opposition clean out players. All designed to allow Hooper, Pocock and Fardy that extra split second to establish position over the ball for the turn over or penalty….

Defintiely need to target Pocock, Hooper and Foley for the initial AB carries. Put them on the ground and out of play in respect to the loosies and just wear out Foley as he is their attacking fulcrum…

Should be a good game next weekend..

• Mike C

/  26th October 2015

@dave1924

Agree.

Also … on one occasion I saw an Aussie player standing but straddling an Argie player he had tackled, even though play had moved on … which meant that Argie player was delayed in being able to get up and help his team with their attack.