Futile fulmination on Slater hate

I posted Slater: “The only solution is to kill them…” on Thursday and that was well discussed here. I think it was a stupid thing of Cameron Slater to post but pretty much par for the Whale Oil course.

But criticism has built up elsewhere, I’ve seen it on Twitter.

And this morning The Standard posted: Petition on Slater’s hate speech. Petitions are becoming more common for all sorts of things and are usually just futile fulmination.

You can sign the petition to the Human Rights Commission here.

WhaleOil has gone too far. We need to stand up to Slater.

In comments Psycho Milt puts a reality check on things.

Complaints can be lodged, but anyone lodging one will need to figure out how to get them over this hurdle:

6a. This standard is not intended to prevent the publication of material that is … the expression of genuinely held opinion…

Good luck with that.

And…

I certainly wouldn’t sign this petition, because the Human Rights Commission has no place in this. If Slater’s comments are incitement to violence they open him up to prosecution, and if they aren’t incitement to violence then they’re free speech that ought to be protected under NZ law. In neither case does the Human Rights Commission have a role to play.

Seems like a sensible call.

There’s no reliable proof that it was even Slater who wrote it, it just happens to have him as author but that doesn’t mean much.

Disagreeing, criticising, ridiculing are all valid responses. There’s plenty of ways of standing up to crap from Whale Oil without racing off to petition the Human Rights Commission.

UPDATE: Naturesong responded to Psycho Milt:

I am not accusing anyone of bullying.
I am not suggesting that hate speech laws or in fact any using any legal means to silence him or his blog.

The point I’ve obviously not articulated well enough, is that the blog WO is a member of OMSA.
As a member the blog agrees to a minimum set of standards.
I’m suggesting that the blog be held to them.

It’s a personal responsibility argument.

That’s a good point and a sensible approach to holding Slater to account. Has Slater breached minimum standards at Whale Oil?

1. Kevin

/  31st October 2015

I say bring it. Let them take it to the HRC where they’d be made to look like the idiots that they are.

2. Hmmm. This has been over egged.

Slater has been very clever with that post to make it some what ambiguous in the “who” he is referring in terms of wiping out.

It could be construed as wiping out ISIS and HAMAS and other organisations who use children as weapons, it could be construed as wiping out Palestinians or even as wiping out all Muslims….

It would be hard to make a definitive case on that post as hate speech given the ambiguity, if it is then we have a loss of freedom of speech looming.

What is clear is he has got everyone’s eye again in the Blog-o-sphere. Methinks it is a cunning post along the lines of the West Coast Feral’s post to draw attention.

The problem of Islamic Fundamentalism is real however, the Palestinian v Israel problem is real as well…. And I don’t know that any of us know how to solve it

• Ambiguity should always be interpreted against the interests of the party who first introduced the ambiguous language (eg contra proferentem).

One solution is to compare the philosophy of the Quran with the actual practices of militant Islamist groups so as to make an informed distinction between authentic Muslims and political organizations which use Islam as a cover for their operations.

The misuse of religion for political purposes is particularly relevant in this country, as the head of the secular state is also the “Supreme Governor” of the Church of England. Here the state uses religion ceremonially and as a means of securing the allegiance of some groups of Crown employees, but its atheistic description of sovereignty and of the common law defrauds the people of New Zealand of their natural rights. Ignorance of the law is no excuse: taxpayers and voters are implicated in the fraud even if they believe that the Crown is operating lawfully.

3. Pete Kane

/  31st October 2015

I can’t say that as a general principle I’m that comfortable running off to the HRC (and similar Bodies) for these things really does much for me. (Part of my prejudice towards such bodies I think stems from the fact they seem a repository for the ‘Party’ people from which ever side happens to be occupying the Treasury Benches at the time.)

/  31st October 2015

Oh dear. Someone said something I didn’t like. Call the cops.

Time for the men in white coats.

5. Mike C

/  31st October 2015

Who cares about whether or not Slater&Co are using hate speech over in their blog … because probably only a couple of hundred people bother to read it each day now 🙂

Their hate speech is only going to be read by the tiniest number of people … and I doubt that it’s going to incite a New Zealand version of the Klu Klux Klan. LOL.

6. Naturesong

/  31st October 2015

The comment you quoted by Psycho Milt is not in response to the petition to the HRC.

It was in my response to my suggestion that a complaint be laid to http://www.omsa.co.nz.
    The Online Media Standards Authority is the self-regulartory body of which WO blog is a member.

To give it some context, you may wish to include my reply in response to Milt and Redbaiter:

I am not accusing anyone of bullying.

As a member the blog agrees to a minimum set of standards.
    I’m suggesting that the blog be held to them.

It’s a personal responsibility argument.

/  31st October 2015

These self-regulatory bodies are full of pompous, hypocritical b.s. The proper safeguard is free and unfettered right of reply and not bureaucratic fiats.

• Mike C

@NatureSong

I just googled the OMSA Membership … and Whale Oil are members … alongside others such as Media Works KiwiBlog and TelevisionNZ.

This throws a different light upon this hate speech situation … and I now believe that Slater&Co should be taken to task for their actions.

Thank you for bringing that to our attention in here 🙂

7. Robby

/  31st October 2015

Bit of an over reaction really and not a very well thought out one. Since when has Islam been a race? Slater was out of line, but doing this is playing right into his hands.

8. Naturesong

In reply to Mike C

Well, in this instance “taken to task” would involve possibly revoking his membership from the body, or more likely, a strongly worded letter for being a naughty boy.

It seems reasonable to assert that WO blog joined the self-regulatory body to help bolster its legitimacy as an online news publisher for when he’s in court. Hell, he may even have had good intentions at the time,

The blog should adhere to the standards it agreed to, or stop pretending.

/  31st October 2015

.. or preferably allow free and open debate and return to being a real blog rather than a mouthpiece.

9. Naturesong

Oh, I probably should note, I agree with Milt here:

… If Slater’s comments are incitement to violence they open him up to prosecution, and if they aren’t incitement to violence then they’re free speech that ought to be protected under NZ law …

10. jamie

/  31st October 2015

“There’s no reliable proof that it was even Slater who wrote it,…”

None is required. He put his name to it and is thus responsible for any consequences whether he really wrote it or not.

1. OMSA and Whale Oil Muslim bashing | Your NZ