Social Media – Tuesday

10 November 2015

Social Media Watch is an open forum similar to Open Forum where any topic can be introduced, but with a focus on New Zealand blogs and social media.

This expands on the aim for Your NZ to be a joint project with the more people contributing and the more variety the better.

A general guideline – post opinion on or excerpts from and links to blog posts or comments of interest, whether they are praise, criticism, pointing out issues or sharing useful information.

If being critical address the issues and don’t do personal abuse. Constructive and reasonably balanced criticism is more effective than general moans.

As usual avoid anything that could cause any legal issues such as potential defamation or breaching suppression orders.

Whale Oil started calling Your NZ the ‘Blog of the Damned’  – this is the blog of the damned well determined to express opinions and hold to account regardless of attempts to shut us up.

Also remember that keeping things civil, legal and factual is more effective and harder to argue against or discredit.

If you want to display screen shots the images will need to be saved on the Internet and a link put in the comment. Sometimes full links don’t work, if I see any like this I will try to repair them in the comment when I get time. Note that image links should normally end something like .jpg .jpeg .png etc.

Note that sometimes other blogs get irate if their material is highlighted elsewhere but the Internet is specifically designed to share and repeat information and anyone who comments or puts anything into a public forum should be aware that it could be republished elsewhere (but attribution is essential).

If comments raise issues deserving of a full post I may use content to do a post, and may expand on it.

If anyone has information worthy of a full post you can contact me, details in About.

1. Klik Bate

Sounds like more of a ‘nervous’ laugh to me 🙂

2. The latest posting on https://networkonnet.wordpress.com runs the risk of presenting so much complex information as to be not understood. The critical points need to be understood and spread.
    “21st century education has come to mean an education system organised for success on the basis of widespread cheating.”

3. Michelle

/  10th November 2015

Now this is fairly interesting. Using social media to sell houses. Pretty good productions values too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01NHNa_4-Vs

• Mike C

@Michelle

What a great idea.

That woman sounded very articulate and intelligent and easy on the eye too 🙂

4. Rod

/  10th November 2015

Spanish Bride has just written a post about John Keys Son. She tells readers that she doesnt agree with the Prime Ministers sons photos being splashed across the media and then put about a dozen photos of Max Key in her post. SB doesn’t have any scruples.

• Spelling mistake: ‘brain’ is not spelt ‘scruples.’

• tealeaves

/  10th November 2015

Someone get out “Eats, shoots, and leaves” out, we need to find out if “Politicians’s children” is a misplaced apostrophe, or if the apostrophe is ok but the 2nd s should be omitted on style considerations. I see a hanging participle further down. I’m extremely grateful that my English teachers at high school had a feel for language, not just a fear of putting stuff in the wrong place. She’s got a very hesitant style here. Doesn’t want to make any mistakes. Interrupts the flow, ergo, it’s not good writing. I feel sorry for her, actually. I think she’s scared of you fullas.

• tealeaves

/  10th November 2015

Oh, fuck, own goal. Dammit. It was the computer.

• Mike C

@TeaLeafs

Sure it was 😉

You’ve been on the turps already tonight haven’t you. LOL.

I can spell … but I have had much of a clue about where to put apostrophes and punctuate and stuff.

Thank God for the options that get thrown up at me when I write … because otherwise I’d be fucked.

• tealeaves

/  10th November 2015

They don’t let people who can’t draw become art teachers. It pisses me off that “anyone” can teach English.

• Kevin

/  10th November 2015

It’s a misplaced apostrophe because there’s a “z” sound.

• Maggy Wassilieff

@Tealeaves

Politicians’ children is the correct punctuation for a possessive plural noun ending in an s.

SB’s punctuation of “John Key’s son’s involvement.”….demonstrates that she has mastered the apostrophe.

wrt her writing style, I’d employ a few more commas, but I’m old.

• Mike C

@Duperez

Based upon SpanishBrides desperado style of writing recently … I seriously doubt she has much of either. LOL.

Most of the posts over there of late seem purely and simply for gathering click bait revenue for Slater&Co 🙂

5. tealeaves

/  10th November 2015

I just got back from A&E with a broken arm part, suspected broken nose, and some welts courtesy of the pavement. Those kick-scooter things should really come with warning labels. Like, go slow at first, you twat, or you’ll end up with one of these….

• Robby

/  10th November 2015

Best leaving that sort of thing to the youngsters’, I strapped on my rollerblades a couple of months back, and that ended badly too LOL

• Get well Paddy – but how the hell to you fall off a scooter????

• tealeaves

/  11th November 2015

Hit curb, over handlebars. I do not reccommend this “alternative mode of transport.

• Mike C

/  11th November 2015

@TeaLeafs

That’s no good 😦

Did you just fall over … or did you bang into something?

We have a scooter out in our shed that I sometimes think would be a cheap mode of transport of nipping into town instead of the Wagon … but now that I have heard your story of pain and suffering … I think we will sell it on Trade Me instead. LOL.

• tealeaves

/  11th November 2015

to be honest, I’d be very careful with it if you do decide to go for a stroll. It was my first time and they’re faster than you think. Small wheels. Wheel hit the lip of a driveway and I was over the handle bars in an instant, and hit the ground with my face fucking hard, Not pleasant. As in, how did my head not just smash open hard, because I was going fast. It all happened in under a minute, you can build up quite a lot of speed really quickly – I think that’s the surpise element. Definitely be careful, or sell it to a teenage boy. 🙂

6. Flexicurity: A term that Grant Robertson is trying to introduce into NZ political life….. Michael Riddell does a backgrounder on the topic here

A little bit of a heavy read…. but interesting..