Jan Logie on Key’s rape comments

Green MP Jan Logie was interviewed on Breakfast this morning.

Initial Twitter coverage:

“I’ve spent a huge number of years fighting against rape culture and have experienced sexual violence myself” – @janlogie

“I really hope the Prime Minister listened… and thinks twice about the impact of those comments”

“The Prime Minister’s comments were knowingly offensive and provocative.. he was using it to distract from a very real concern”

She made some odd comments about rapists, appearing to defend them. According to feedback some people are incensed by her comments.

It’s not online yet.

Video of a brief part: John Key’s rape comment was ‘deeply personally offensive’ – MP

1. David

1 they support kiwis in detention
    2 detainees turn out to include rapists, wife beaters, pea do,s
    3 labour too stupid to realize how this looks to the public because they think they have Key
    4 reality kicks in when Key points out they are defending men they normally despise
    5 oops, lucky the media are really really stupid….public has seen through the whole thing from the start and don’t care anyway.
    Upshot is Kelvin Davis career is over, Little is finished and the bonkers Meteria Turei is back front and centre and all of James Shaws work has been for nothing.

• Joe Bloggs

/  12th November 2015

See I’m confused now, because the Australian Government has said that there are no murderers or rapists among the Kiwi detainees on Christmas Island.

Perhaps you could explain how the information that you have is different to the information that the Australian Government has provided to New Zealand’s Justice Minister.

• Pete Kane

/  12th November 2015

Joe, likewise, you would think it isn’t that much more complicated than matching a court (or even standard police criminal) record to a name?

• Rod

/  12th November 2015

Joe, it has been reported over the past few days that the larger percentage of the NZ detainees are very bad criminals just like David said. Why else would the Australian Government not want these people outside on the street?

• Joe Bloggs

/  12th November 2015

But if you label someone as a rapist or murderer then don’t you need evidence?

And as far as media reportage goes, I understand what’s being reported but the media also have their own agenda.

• John Schmidt

/  12th November 2015

Christmas Island is not the only detention centre. The numbers referred to those in detention not just Christmas Island. That’s how JK worded it. The link of those words to Christmas Island came from the left not from JK. His careful choice of words is why he is the PM and not someone from the left.

2. Robbers Dog

/  12th November 2015

Logie went full retard on The Mike Hosking Breakfast this morning. Her logic is so skewed she is either mentally incompetent or criminally disingenuous. When she raised the argument against Australia’s bid for the UN Humans Right Committee that was the final nail in her credibility coffin. I don’t recall Logie or her Green/Labour colleagues’ outcry over the appointment to said committee of Saudi Arabia, that international bastion of the rights of women and sexual abuse victims.

3. Brown

/  12th November 2015

My wife came home from work yesterday and asked if I’d seen the walk out. I hadn’t so she proceeded to tell me the leftie ladies looked like a bunch of dowdy losers that a man would be hard pressed to look at let alone contemplate touching. There’s nowt so fierce as an intelligent, competent, confident and attractive woman paid more than her male colleagues when it comes to dealing with those fragile left wing loser women that seek to reduce other woman to less than the wonderful beings they are.

• You have my deepest sympathy in having a wife like that. And she has mine for her choice of husband. Having been uncharitable enough to say that, I am overjoyed that you have each found the perfect soulmate.

• Duperez, your comment was offensive, not even funny

• Ah, like me you have probably learned from David Carter this week that the notion of what is offensive is a finely graded thing. It wisps and wavers in ways so hard to define.
          I thought for a moment that someone getting up in public for the first time, in front of the nation, to say they had been sexually assaulted and found offensive something pertaining to it that had been said, would have had grounds for their offence.

Silly me, simple me, silly them.

Arise Sir David Carter. Now that’s what I find offensive.

• Joe Bloggs

/  12th November 2015

Message from Cameron Slater: he misses you, please go home…

• kittycatkin

/  12th November 2015

That is incredibly sexist and uncharitable. I was under the impression that Brown was a Christian, but must have been mistaken, as these are not the words of a Christian.

• kittycatkin

/  13th November 2015

I meant that Brown’s remarks were sexist and uncharitable, not Joe Bloggs’ remark. The pacement was unfortunate and not my doing, I stand by the statement that these are not the words of a Christian.

• tealeaves

/  12th November 2015

ha ha ha ha ha! Fragile left wing losers, love it. Better than being one of those Atilla the Hun style kiwi ladies who wouldn’t know a sensitive moment if they had one. lolz, love those biches.

4. Klik Bate

/  12th November 2015

I wonder if JK does stand and say, “I withdraw and apologize”, that a lot of these women may well find that to be a sexist term and stage another walk-out?

• traveller

/  12th November 2015

Jan doesn’t sound offended to my ear. She sounds insincere. Any chance the Green Party might have used their Parliamentary mandate to advance the aims of refugee seekers was lost to them by preferring to get involved in petty political posturing. Where they could have used the opportunity to highlight the desperation of the refugees and get some statesman into the issue, preferred joining in with Labour’s theatrics.
      What is important to the Greens about Christmas Islands? Strangely I thought it might be the refugees. Silly me .

5. tealeaves

/  12th November 2015

I don’t think it’s going to wash well with the people, unfortunately. It’s, yet again, not looking good for the left. Would they have had access ti infirmayion about the types of offences the CI people have committed? As far as ugly politics go, it’s like this was a long-volley game of volleyball and Key really spiked it over the net on this one. It’s sort of turned the debate from uncaring, useless Nats to, hey, look, we actually know what some of these people have done and we need to move slowly to prepare the ground. The fact that they’ve not said that, but waited for an opportune moment to slur the left on the line it’s been pushing, in my view, whoever these crosby texter guys are, that was fucking masterful politics. I’m disgusted, obviously, but, by crikey, looks well played from where I’m sitting.

6. Klik Bate

/  12th November 2015

Great to hear the MSM are leading their noon News Bulletin with…….. PANDAS !!

🙂

7. Jeeves

Yep.
    That’s where these filth have driven us.

8. Zedd

/  12th November 2015

Ms Logie & several Green & Labour female MPs may just be ‘politicking’ BUT having watched part of the debate & seeing some of them on TV3 ‘Story’ program.. I actually think these women are seriously offended by Key’s callous statements that they ‘Support Rapists’

Apparently Ms Logie & others have either been ‘sexually assaulted’ OR worked in the field of support for victims.. seen it first hand.
    IF anyone is just ‘politicking’ here; it is the ‘Ponytail puller’ himself & what does it really say about ‘his character’ ?! 😦

/  12th November 2015

As I said before, if they don’t support rapists, what do they propose to do with those returning to NZ? It’s easy to work yourself up into righteous indignation but actually it’s not all about them. They’ve lost the debate already in their Key derangement syndrome response.

• Zedd

/  12th November 2015

Geez only one thumbs down sofar.. I thought you ‘Team Key cultists’ would be all over the thumbs down button.. by now ! LOL 🙂

9. Joe Bloggs

/  12th November 2015

Lets’ be clear about this. There are exactly zero of the people our Prime Minister was talking about in parliament the other day actually in these detention centres.

None of them are there for rape, and none for murder, which is simply contrary to what John Key claimed in parliament.

And when women MPs who had been sexually assaulted stood up to seek an apology, the Speaker of the House silenced their microphones.

I appreciate that some of these people might yet prove to be unsavoury but that doesn’t give Key or Carter free rein to do what they did.

/  12th November 2015

Well, evidently there were some pretty nasty ones: http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/73942724/Seven-Kiwis-flown-off-Christmas-Island-to-Perth

And how do you know none of the rapists/murderer/pedophiles have passed or will pass through the detention camps Key was referring to?

• Joe Bloggs

/  12th November 2015

How do I know? I don’t. Nor do you. Nor do any of us. Not even Key evidently.

But according to the Australian government briefing they gave to Amy Adams none of those kiwis in detention centres are guilty of rape or murder… just sayin’ so’s we don’t get sidetracked again…

• Jeeves

/  12th November 2015

And lets also be clear about this- our Parliamentarians are advocating for OUR rights and how WE may be treated- all the while Alan here and his mate the PM suck themselves into oblivion – because they don’t think it could ever happen to them….

/  12th November 2015

Just what are they advocating, Jeeves? They seem to want the Speaker sacked which I guess will achieve exactly nothing for OUR rights.

10. Mike C

/  12th November 2015

When is the court hearing between Jan Logies friend Tania Billingsley … and the Malaysia Diplomat?

Logie seems to look for any excuse to bring up her “Rape Culture Pet Project” … and flaunt it out in the political arena.

The woman is a nut-job 🙂

11. Zedd

/  12th November 2015

I noted Key’s absence from Q-time today.. perhaps ‘in hiding.. under his bed’ ? 🙂 LOL

12. Got to say it’s weird that it’s John Key who wants these people, whatever their crimes, unleashed on the NZ public. Wouldn’t we all be safer if they stayed in their homes in Australia?

• Mike C

@TRP

Sadly … John Key is not in charge of Australia’s legislation 😦

Because if he was … those ex-pat kiwis wouldn’t set foot back in our fine country ever again. LOL.

• But Key controls our borders. If they weren’t allowed off the plane, it’s Aussie’s problem to sort, not ours. If it’s needed, they could put some legislation through Parliament under urgency. They did for the RWC bar opening hours, so why not do it to protect NZ?

/  12th November 2015

On this, I entirely agree. However, I see it rather as a private negotiating lever for individual cases which would need to be carefully chosen or it would flare up into a confrontation that would end easy movement between our two countries.

• Missy

/  12th November 2015

“But Key controls our borders. If they weren’t allowed off the plane, it’s Aussie’s problem to sort, not ours.”

ayou advocating that NZ Immigration stop NZ citizens from entering NZ? If so, that is a dangerous road to travel. These people do not have Australian citizenship or Permanent Residency (hence the reason they are being deported after their special category visa’s have been revoked), you are essentially suggesting that the NZ Govt pass legislation to deny NZ citizens the right to come into NZ if they don’t like them, that is an appalling suggestion. I may not want these people back in NZ but I would never suggest that the Govt pass a law to deny NZ citizens the right to enter NZ.

• I’m advocating that people who have no substantial relationship with NZ and whose legal arguments are with the Commonwealth of Australia should stay there.

• Missy

/  12th November 2015

I agree in principle with what you say, but the reality is, these people whilst having no substantial relationship with NZ, have been either too lazy or too stupid to obtain Australian citizenship, and therefore remain citizens of NZ, so to say they should be stopped from entering NZ you are essentially saying the Govt should be allowed to stop any NZ citizen from returning to NZ, and essentially make them stateless – which is (as far as I am aware) against International Law, not to mention a breach of their human rights, if they have no substantial relationship with NZ.

Do you think that it is right for any Government to turn away people who are citizens of its country? Do you think that it is right for any Government to be forced to allow non-citizens or non permanent residents to stay in their country that act in contrary to their laws?

• traveller

/  13th November 2015

It’s not about how you feel about the situation it’s how it is. Australia is exercising it’s sovereign rights to exclude people who are officially aliens. These citizens have chosen to fight this decision and are awaiting appeals.

Evidence?

• Key was saying last week that the detainees should just go to NZ and fight their legal battles from here. It was during the Turnbull visit. He wasn’t calling them rapists and murderers then 😉

/  12th November 2015

My view is there are very different situations: those who have been in Australia almost all their lives with no links here; those whose offences if any are minor; those who present a real danger to others. Combinations of all of the above. There are no one-size-fits-all solutions and the current politicking pretends otherwise.

• Don’t forget the one guy who has committed no offence at all, Alan!

This whole situation has come about because the Abbott Govt changed the laws so it had a retrospective aspect. The majority of the people trapped by the change had done their time, gone back to their jobs and families and moved on with their lives. It’s kind of a double jeopardy to punish them again.

/  12th November 2015

I didn’t. Note my “if any”.

I agree with the double jeopardy view and injustice in making it retrospective. I think both are relevant to making individual cases.

• Sorry, Alan, missed the “if any”. D’oh!

13. kittycatkin

/  12th November 2015

If so many of the walkers-out have experienced sexual assautls, they should be more specific. Some people class any unwanted attention as that, which trivialises the suffering of real victims. I find it hard to believe that Meteria Turei was raped in a taxi-who would do nothing about that ? Was her assailant the driver or the person she was with ? If the ‘experienced sexual violence’ refers to working with people who have, that is very misleading. It’s like a friend who works with cases of domestic violence saying ‘I have experienced domestic violence.’ which would sound as if she was the victim of the violence.

To me, something like having one’s boobs groped is distasteful and inexcusable if it’s gratuitous, but it’s not in the same league as rape.

• How they deal with the abuse is entirely up to them. Like most victims, it appears these women have chosen to keep quiet about it publicly. And I don’t think they have as loose an understanding of the word ‘experienced’ as you do. I’m gonna take them at their word that it’s real.

What we know for sure is untrue is Key’s claim about there being “rapists and murderers”. If you want to have a go at people telling porkies, Dunnokeyo’s your man.

• tealeaves

/  12th November 2015

Perhaps none of them actually want to say, I was in the garden, minding my own business, when a young man stumbled onto the property and asked to use the phone….or, I was in a relationship, he drank heavily, several times he also…fill in the blanks as you wish.

• jaspa

/  12th November 2015

I agree , kitty. I don’t particularly want to know the details, but if it’s something like having her boob grabbed, well, … Yes, it is unpleasant, but I think it has happened to most, if not all, women. Most don’t remain traumatised for decades. Of course, if it happens while being held down with undue force one is really scared, that is a different matter, and in these cases we just don’t know what some of them mean.

14. tealeaves

/  12th November 2015

And I guess most guys have their penis and scrotums grabbed at some stage too, and they wisely put it into perspective.

• tealeaves

/  12th November 2015

But we all know the balls is sacred.

• kittycatkin

/  15th November 2015

I don’t think that any unwanted groping of either sex is all right, but it’s still nothing like rape; a friend was gang-raped at a party when she was about 14, and I think that she would confirm that a grope was not remotely in the same league.

• kittycatkin

/  15th November 2015

I thoughtt that I read somewhere that they were including working with victims as ‘experience’ of sexual violence.

15. The main point is that in the beginning, Davis accused Key of not doing anything about the detainees. I read articles in the Sydney Morning Herald commenting on the strong representations made by Key to the Australian PM, it was headline news. So the Aussies got the point. Next, Key was making a valid point to Labour et al that they ran the risk of being seen to be supporters of murderers, rapists, kiddie fiddlers etc. Which is a reasonable point to make. He didn’t point out the publicity received in Australia about his strong representations to the Aust Government because that was obvious to those watching the developments in Australia. The subsequent behaviour in Parliament by the Opposition and the storm of commentary by the biased media has not advanced the cause of human rights one inch. We should continue to say to the Aussies that the principle of reciprocity is now a guiding principle of NZ Foreign Affairs, so that if the Aussies legislate draconian treatment for Kiwis, we will do the same. In my view, the ANZAC free trade accord is a fiction, and we should require all Banks in NZ to be New Zealand banks, and it should be illegal to repatriate profits to foreign banking institutions unless they can demonstrate profitability from external investments. This means Kiwi earnings should remain in NZ.

• ” and we should require all Banks in NZ to be New Zealand banks, and it should be illegal to repatriate profits to foreign banking institutions unless they can demonstrate profitability from external investments. This means Kiwi earnings should remain in NZ.”

Really? How about BJ we all vote with our feet and take our business to the NZ bank concerns out there namely:

Kiwibank
      TSB
      SBS
      Heartland
      Co-operative

All NZ owned. All happy to take your deposits, open transaction accounts for you and make loans & mortgages available to you..

Foreign Banks risk their shareholders capital here in NZ, they provide services which they charge fees and interest for. The profits of their operations benefit their shareholders and should flow to their shareholders regardless of location. Also I would much rather have a Bank holding my cash or giving me a loan that makes a good healthy profit every year…. mush safer place for my funds o be.

i would also note that ANZ and Westpac have reasonable numbers of Kiwi shareholders and are dual listed on the NZX and ASZ, so some of those filthy profits are retained in NZ by virtue of the Kiwi shareholders.

/  12th November 2015

Splendid and all too rare common sense.

• Thanks Alan… we don’t agree on flags ; )

But this is pretty straight forward stuff for me – there is heaps of choice if people bother to have a look around and healthy banks are better than failed ones anyday

16. This is a low tweet…

Te Reo Putake ‏@tereoputake

Word of the day: Keydophile. A psychiatric disorder in which an adult experiences a primary or exclusive attraction to the Prime Minister

…tending towards nasty.