Open Forum – Monday

7 December 2015

NOTE: On Friday 4 December 2015 this website received from the  Auckland District Court an order to “introduce a fulltime moderator systems” until “further order of the court”. Therefore until further notice all comments will automatically be held in moderation until released. I will release all comments that don’t legally threaten this site and are not considered malicious as soon as possible. This will vary from almost immediately to several hours.

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is to encourage you to raise topics that interest you.

Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts.

Your NZ is a mostly political and social issues blog but not limited to that, and views from anywhere on the political spectrum are welcome. Some basic ground rules:

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.
  • Debate hard if you like but respect people’s right to have varying views and to not be personally be attacked.
  • Don’t say to a stranger online anything you wouldn’t say to their face.

Moderation will be minimal if these guidelines are followed. Should they ever be necessary any moderator edits, deletes or bans will be clearly and openly advised.

1. Should be an interesting morning for The National party with the cabinet reshuffle in particular Judith Collins , I hope she is left out in the cold were she belongs with her toxic campaign manager.

• Timoti

/  7th December 2015

I was informed the National Party had cut Collins loose. Today I will find out if that information was credible. That said, Corrections needs someone like Collins to tell Serco how it is, and how it will be.

• Mike C

@Timoti

I think David Seymour would make a great Corrections Minister 🙂

• Timoti

/  7th December 2015

That would be interesting. One things for sure, if Seymour was given that portfolio and he delivered,he would be a made man.

• Missy

/  7th December 2015

Judith Collins is back in – and in the case of the worst kept politics secret of the year, Tim Groser is off to Washington as the next Ambassador.

Having Collins back with Police and Corrections portfolios must be worrying for the opposition, I think she will be a bit more effective than her predecessors have been. But time will tell.

2. Interesting article in the Herald by Audrey Young….. adds to the discussion had here some weeks back about the Speaker and the Oppositions frustrations.

3. Zedd

@PG
    You subtitled this ‘Blog of the Damned’ for a while (which I thought was cool)

Maybe you should add ‘Blog of the JAMMED’ (or jammed up with legislative B-S) ? :/

4. Zedd

/  7th December 2015

I see on the news.. the Far-right ‘National Front party’ of Marine LePenn is rising in the polls in France.. ‘sign of the times’ ??

• Pickled Possum

/  7th December 2015

Yes Zedd I read that yesterday and thought Pauline Hanson and Colin Ansell will be pleased.

• kittycatkin

/  7th December 2015

That’s been coming for a while, I seem to remember. Did anyone see the Listener article about the French massacre of Algerians in Paris ?

• Pickled Possum

/  7th December 2015

OMGosh I was to young for it to have a huge impact on my memory but just reading about it on wiki
          now I know why my Mum always said don’t trust those bloody Frenchies well before they blew up the boat, and all my life Mum has indoctrinated us to boycottt anything french, which we sometimes bucked at cos’ beautiful parfum wine etc
          as Listener online is subscription reading only do you think you could give a concise version of the article. 🙂

• Timoti

/  7th December 2015

Unfortunately, yes. When mainstream political parties refuse to address the urgent issues facing them, extremism rises. What is different is this party could go all the way as western
      structures of doing thing disintegrate.

• And exactly the same rationale can be used to justify a conspiracy theory. Just work the same scenario in reverse: Far-right extremist party really wants to get into power. What do they need to do so? Ahhh, yes … a terrorist event ….?
        Even if 9/11 was all Osama bin Laden and Al Queda, as alleged, and the fabulous U.S. surveillance system didn’t know anything about it, what you say above still holds exactly true. America’s refusal “to address the urgent issues facing them” – that is, their own foreign policy – and “extremism rises” – in the form of terrorism.

5. Mike C

/  7th December 2015

The Salvation Army are set to buy up lots of State Houses.

I think it has a good chance of successful implementation 🙂

6. kittycatkin

/  7th December 2015

Heather DPA still has admirers who think that she did a good thing by exposing a loophole and seem unable to see that she broke the law-and think that the police should thank her and send her on her way. Did anyone read her article in the Sunday paper (I forget which one) ? She still seems to expect special treatment from the police and doesn’t see that anyone breaking the gun laws will be investigated, no matter who they are and what their alleged motive.

• Count me among them. It’s not that the police should thank her, from what I heard on RNZ, the police apparently DID THANK HER. I skim read the article, which was linked on here, and I didn’t get the impression she wanted special treatment. I got the impression she wanted reasonable treatment like, “if you’d like a sample of my handwriting please just ask and I’ll provide it”.
      Investigated, fine; intimidated …. not such a good look for the police.

/  7th December 2015

I see the MSM has managed to make NZ the most misinformed nation about inequality in the world: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11557000

Our Lefty journalists have convinced the sheeple that the richest 1% own more than three times as much wealth as they do and they actually own only two thirds as much wealth as the sheeple think they should.

8. Timoti

/  7th December 2015

Obama has just delivered his speech.

1) He refused to use the term ” Islamic terrorism.”

2) He talked of gun control.

3) He called on Americans not to take it out on the wider Islamic community. Huh????
    Here’s another man who had the same objective.

4) He has refused to stop Islamic immigration.

In my opinion, Obama should be impeached and tried for treason. That applies to Key, too.

• The other Timoti? ‘Timoti the Worse’? [and I must have a hankering after wasting my f*cking time tonight]
      1) Obama talked about ISIL terrorism, which is correctly what it is.
      2) He talked about gun control – OMG, who wouldn’t! He mentioned preventing these terrorists obtaining weapons.
      3) You want Americans to take it out on the wider Islamic community? HUHHHH????
      4) Immigration. Freedom of religion. Feel very jealous Timoti. The Americans have a written Declaration of Independence and Constitution about such things, including this.
      Take the next step Timoti, go on, it’s not a big step, and you can be tried for “hate speech”.

• Listened to it. Went to the same school. Reckon he’s right on the button as far as the experience of many Maori and Polynesians are concerned. Interesting take on Polynesian players as “professional slaves”. As Timoti keeps pointing out, if you don’t listen to urgent issues or even extreme viewpoints, counter-extremism grows.

9. Police investigating a well known Auckland based Restaurant chain…… ill gotten gains in the Millions, so this could be interesting….

• Missy

Very interesting.

i gather from the article it is not a case that the name is suppressed, but just that police are not naming them, but coming so soon after the issues with the [precautionary delete – PG] I think many may jump to conclusions here…

• No name suppression was my read as well… but who knows. And my mind went straight two different companies. Will be interesting to see where it lands

• Missy

/  7th December 2015

Sorry, Pete, I thought that would be okay because it was publicised – but will refrain from making the link again.

Dave, I have been out of Auckland for years so really don’t know much about the restaurant scene there now – just what I have heard about in the media.

10. Timoti

/  7th December 2015

Tv3 blew it with the the ” Story” report. And again with their main news item.
    Poor Heather really should listen to the lady interviewed, and her response again.

Epic fail TV 3. For example when the young dude said he could understand how some
    parts of the Koran are taken out of context, the reporter should have said, “give me an example?”

Then he could have asked, how would this have been taken out of context”

“O you who have believed, do not take the Jews and the Christians as allies. They are [in fact] allies of one another. And whoever is an ally to them among you – then indeed, he is [one] of them. Indeed, Allah guides not the wrongdoing people.”

Which again backs up the clip I posted about the ex Canadian Muslim telling you how it is.

• I must find out what the ‘appearance money’ for being the subject of such ‘news’ items is? (By God I use the term “news” loosely too). Such ‘stories’ are so transparently ‘scripted’, perhaps constrained by legalities of libel, defamation or slander? Perhaps in deference to the fools the subjects are making of themselves; along with the potential danger of ‘reporting’ on your own family or community. I’d wanna get well paid for doing that shit!

Certainly something makes the words emanating from the subject’s mouth “vague” and, as you say, it goes unchallenged anyhow. Dumb-dumb news. It serves the purpose of instilling fear in the population, in Alan’s sheeple.

I could sure do with the dosh though … and I have some acting skills ….