Height of hypocrisy and bull

Hypocrisy and falsity abounds still at Whale Oil in a post by Cameron Slater – FREEDOM OF SPEECH AND THE SHOUTING DOWN OF OPPOSING VOICES

Nathan Smith has a brilliant opinion piece at NBR on freedom of speech, but more importantly the proclivity of people, mostly the left-wing to shout down or wanting to ban those who they disagree with.

Anyone who has observed or exerienced the shutting down of opposing voices, and the ban machine Pete Belt at Whale Oil over the last eighteen months will see the hypocrisy in accusing others of ‘shouting down’ or ‘wanting to ban’.

The media proved fickle guardians of free speech then, and they remain fickle guardians of free speech today…unless it is their free speech being impinged…then they are very vocal.

Same with Slater. He has been moaning about Nicky Hager since being out Dirtied by him in July last year. Like…

We saw this last year with Nicky Hager’s Dirty Politics. An attempt by the left wing, and enabled by their fellow travellers in the media to shut down debate and people and political discourse because they didn’t agree with them.

It was about much more than “didn’t agree with them”. It was about politicians using a blogger to throw mud while bragging about being the dirtiest of political dirtbags.

We see the campaigns continue to this day, with the beige badger stating that he thinks we’d be better off without this blog.

UPDATE: jaspa says ” I am pretty sure I have seen you state that you would not want WO shut down.”

The hate is palpable, the anti-democratic and anti-freedom attitudes prevail, all egged on by the baying of their quite mad and narcissistic microscopic audiences.

I’ve never said or hate Slater or anyone or any website for that matter. He is making up ‘poor me’ stuff to give himself an excuse to whine.

The martyr moans.

I’m not trying to beat anyone, and certainly not Slater. I don’t want to be anything like him and I don’t want Your NZ to be anything like Whale Oil.

What is particularly hypocritical about this from Slater is that he was involved with friends in trying to gag me and gag you here by slapping a court order on this site, and that was done illegally, or at least without any legal basis. When the judge realised he’d been conned he discharged to order.

Again, I don’t hate Slater nor want Whale Oil shut down.

I just find it sad that a blogger and a blog tyhat once had potential is now resorting to posting such hypocritical bull.

1. Pickled Possum

/  12th December 2015

Hypocrisy is strong in that one

/  12th December 2015

Put your money where your mouth is then, Whaleoil, and terminate Belt’s harmful censorship. You might then have a chance of regaining some respect after you face up to the inevitable criticism that would permit.

3. Loki

/  12th December 2015

He was trying to shut down me.
    Sorry about the grief you have suffered in the last week or so Pete.
    Reports from the Whaleoil panic room are that they think they have frightened the ex insiders away.
    The truth is, it is summer.
    We will be back in the new year to talk more about the mouth breather, mr five families and exposing more of his nonsense.

• kittycatkin

/  12th December 2015

But even if you’d said, for argument’s sake. that you wished that WO would shut down (or something like that) it’s not like saying that you want to shut it down, surely. He must have analysed everything you say more than I have and seen things in it that weren’t there or misinterpreted casual remarks. He’s another one with too much time on his hands and not enough happening in his real life. poor obsessed man.

• Urban Redneck

“mr five families”

You’re very cryptic aren’t you? Care to elaborate !

4. “I just find it sad that a blogger and a blog…”

When you’re an adult and see little children doing the things that little children do and hear their logic and their perspectives on the world, you smile, sometimes chortle but know they’ll grow up. Sometimes you have to be patient because they’re you’re own kids.

The surprise is that there is even a need to note hypocritical bull on the Whale Oil blog. The consistency of it being crap in the crepes cannot be denied.

If it were a child you would say “Go to your room until you grow up, can get on with people and have a better outlook on life.”

Sad as a feeling about it? Not for me. It is at once baffling, dismaying and tragic that a place so palpably flawed has regard in some quarters.

Apparently they seek funds to carry out their good work. They should seek sponsorship from 3M. I’m sure they could present a sound case for a signal, significant deal – Malevolent, Malignant, Malcontent.

5. unitedtribes2

/  12th December 2015

The trouble is with Cameron Slater is one never really knows were his at. Many were astounded at his attitude during the “loosing your religion” period where at least 5 anti Key posts on any one day were common. And now the sun shines out of his (Keys’) arse
    “The fundamental point about all politicians being bastards, however, is the main one. I think the exact phrase is, “All politicians are bastards, but our bastard is a good bastard.”
    And, at the moment, Key is still our bastard to most of New Zealand.”
    Nothing seemed to have happened to nudge this reversal. It was a short period of time between the opposing attitudes. The negative stance on Key really pissed off many of his followers. Cameron really dose seem to to take “hypocrisy and bull” to a different level so much so it makes you wonder if hypocrisy is the right diagnosis.

• John Schmidt

/  12th December 2015

In criticising JK and National there is a fine line between constructive criticism and destructive criticism. There is no point pushing destructive criticism unless you have a viable alternative otherwise what is the point. At times it seemed to me that Slater was following the destructive version of criticism with no alternative offered so in absense of an alternative he is in effect offering Labour Green as the alternative which makes offering destructive criticism crazy.

6. Kevin

/  12th December 2015

“I don’t recall stating anything like that and I doubt Slater could find any quotes to back it up. I’ve reported on and even praised achievements at Whale Oil. He just can’t handle being criticised, and he’s given plenty of opportunity to be criticised.”

Over the past month or so this blog has been on a bit of a anti-WO campaign so I wouldn’t be surprised if there is or has been a bit of backlash.

As for banning one thing Prentice said which I think is very true is that those who match the politics of a blog will find a much easier time than those whose politics are opposed. And WO, and The Standard being for the most part private enterprises, have the right to ban anyone they like for any reason. Of course in the name of procedural justice you like to think that when banned it was for a reason to do with breaking some kind of rule or such but the point is blogs can ban who they like for any reason. Nothing to do with freedom of speech.

/  12th December 2015

“Nothing to do with freedom of speech”

Until the blogger writes posts proclaiming to defend it thereby showing himself to be a liar.

• Kevin

/  12th December 2015

I took the post to be more about other people wanting to shut WO down. I don’t know about this blog but Prentice certainly does and has said so and if my memory is correct, believes that Slater is a dangerous criminal. I’m sure if he could Prentice would use the law to get Slater thrown in jail.

Likewise if Prentice did the same type of post about people trying to shut down The Standard I wouldn’t call him a hypocrite even though he bans people for the most of inane of reasons and with the most uneven of approaches.

• I’ve probably had as much experience as anyone at being on the receiving end of Prentice’s ‘moderation’ and banning and have been quite critical of him and The Standard. But at least does his lecturing and banning out in th eopen as far as I’ve seen. I’d far rather that than secret censorship.

You simply can’t trust any discussion at Whale Oil (same for The Daily Blog) as a fair, balanced or undoctored debate.

• The blog has become everything it railed against in other blogs such as Lyn’s sandpit. Their right and choice, but there’s probably more freedom of speech in North Korea.

• Of course any blog can ban anyone they like. But when they ban people who simple say things contrary to posts then it is an attack on free speech.

While Slater has stood by while all the banning has been going on he apparently isn’t too happy about it, someone reported that he said this on WO recently “.. you’ve already wrecked the blog, pushed away all the commenters and reduced the traffic to a shadow of what it was … the experiment is coming to an end …” – but his freedom to speak on his own blog appears to have been Belted.

• Kevin

/  12th December 2015

Are you sure it was Slater who said this and not a commentator? I’d be very surprised if it was.

• I’m not sure, I didn’t see it. But this is what I’ve been given:

Slater: Do want to be fired?

Belt: You can try. But it isn’t spelled fired. Its spelled buy-out.

Slater: Oh you are going to buy me out? Sure, you’ve got all my money anyway. You’ve already wrecked the blog, pushed away all the commenters and reduced the traffic to a shadow of what it was. The experiment is coming to an end.

Belt: Cam, I know its been a rough day. But can we take this off-line please?

Slater: You already did that this morning, remember?

Did anyone else see this?

• Kevin

I did a search of WO:

And found this page:

But I can’t see the relevant comments on that page so they may have been removed.

• Google cache, 19 November Backchat.
            Disclaimer: just providing a service, I am more disappointed than angry that I got blocked from commenting. Still a regular reader.
            WO is in some ways a sad shadow of what it once was, but as I’ve mentioned before, there are commenters there who actively engage to create quite a unique community.

• You got blocked too? Good grief. Belt really has rogered that blog right up the clacker. What was your offense, breathing?

• Last month Pete wrote a lovely piece about photography, one of my passions having been in the trade for 30 years. It wasn’t until I got to the bottom that it became an advertorial, and worse, the comments were unusually closed. I made a comment in WO General Debate – see below – and also on YourNZ blog watch which I suspect was the clincher. I guess I got angry cos of WO’s constant harping about apparent lack of journalisic independence of the MSM and NZH who are my employer. The hypocrisy finally got to me.

/  12th December 2015

Belt definitely has some serious psychological pathology.

• jaspa

/  13th December 2015

The clincher for me was when they banned conwaycaptain. What a useful and knowledgeable commenter that guy was. And never impolite. And then everyone who asked where he had gone (some worrying whether he was OK, as he was elderly) had their comments deleted. 😦

• That doesn’t surprise me. All the loyal long time readers purged. The moderator chimp is as thick as pig shit. But then Cam can’t be much brighter either, giving full control then standing by watching a muppet sending his blog down the shitter. I could see it coming long before.

• MaureenW

/  13th December 2015

I wonder if the Chimp was too lazy to moderate the comments, and got rid of anyone likely to challenge the spin on different posts? Also, I could never get my head around the “strategy”??? off bulk-banning commenters, and then having “amnesties”? Who does that? Try it in any business and they would find themselves where WO is today.

/  12th December 2015

It was Slater. He asked if Belt was going to buy him out too. The comment has been deleted but the wayback machine and google’s cache show some of it:

“Whaleoil Backchat – Whale Oil Beef Hooked
          Nov 19, 2015 – Sure, you’ve got all my money anyway…you’ve already wrecked the blog, pushed away all the commenters and reduced the traffic to a shadow ..”

/  12th December 2015

Here it is from the text version of Google’s cache:

http://www.whaleoil.co.nz/ Cam Slater
            Do want to be fired?

http://www.whaleoil.co.nz/ Pete
            You can try. But it isn’t spelled fired, it’s spelled buy-out.

http://www.whaleoil.co.nz/ Cam Slater
            Oh you are going to buy me out? Sure, you’ve got all my money anyway…you’ve already wrecked the blog, pushed away all the commenters and reduced the traffic to a shadow of what it was…the experiment is coming to an end….

http://www.whaleoil.co.nz/ Pete
            Cam, I know it’s been a rough day, but can we take this off-line please?

http://www.whaleoil.co.nz/ Cam Slater
            You already did that this morning…remember?

[This comment went into moderation because of the number of links. I approved it and then a duplicate also came up so I’ve deleetd that. PG]

• Ok, that’s pretty much identical to what I was given.

/  12th December 2015

Yes, it’s correct. I copied and pasted it from Google’s cache just now.

• If you see that in the context of what Hamish Price posted a couple of days ago and it looks like Slater has lost control of WO and it’s largely being used by others. If so then his apparent loss of significant input isn’t surprising.

• GOTCHA! 😉

• Bob

/  12th December 2015

Wow that’s a telling exchange. WO has lost its way for me, rarely bother reading it much these days, though some of the videos are good.

• “…you’ve already wrecked the blog, pushed away all the commenters and reduced the traffic to a shadow of what it was…the experiment is coming to an end….”

Now, what was it I said when I left…….

• Mike C

/  13th December 2015

@AlanW

Good going … getting that stuff from Google cache 🙂

About a year ago … I wrote a comment in here where I wondered out loud if Belt “had some skin in the game”.

Guess that interaction between Slater and Belt confirms my suspicions.

I wonder what the circumstances were that brought Slater to the point where he took money from Belt for a share in the business?

Perhaps Belt paid for some of Slaters legal bills in exchange for more than just Editorial privilege?

It’s hilarious that Slater only now has decided that Belts methods were just an experiment … and yet when Belt was managing to give Slater and his Wife a very comfortable life style … Slaters voice was nowhere to be heard. LOL.

• Kevin

Colour me surprised.

• jaspa

/  13th December 2015

You just need to stop drinking that Kool-aid, Kevin. Your colour will return. 🙂

7. Ratty

/  12th December 2015

Have now got to the stage where Slater isnt even important to talk about, irrelevent, a complete parody of himself and his attacks on people and the narcissist response when people actually call him up on it…

I am happy with the Judge and Cactus Kate saying he is a dreamer..

8. MaureenW

/  12th December 2015

..”The bottom line is that they are threatened, they are jealous and they can’t or won’t do what is required to try and beat me, so they must try to silence me. They won’t.”

The most toxic influence on the WO blog, sits within the WO tent, not outside.

• Mike C

@Maureen

Spanish Bride ??? 🙂

• MaureenW

/  12th December 2015

No, she’s probably doing the best she can in filling space. Don’t care for those posts myself, but others possibly do.

9. Its just sad…. self destruction.

10. Slater must be even more stressed these last few days with Peter Aranyi’s ( thepaepae) obtaining 6cms of papers from the Chisholm report under the OIA. His comprehensive piece on the debacle is the start in a series, This revisits the whole pay-for-opinion reality that WO actually was and is. It highlights the toxicity of Carrick Graham, Odgers and covers their testimony and their campaign against Feeley on behalf of Hotchins.

Pete, you might like to follow and analyse this.

As journalists at the Herald – O’Sullivan and Savage are immersed in the whole hateful Dirty Politics business, don’t expect them to be picking this up in a hurry.

• Rawshark for Prime Minister

/  12th December 2015

Whoah! More truth [deleted one phrase – PG] with some actual journalistic analysis. Thanks for that link. traveller. After reading through the post and grabbing some of the material to see for myself and evaluate context, I have to agree with this . . .

Inside Cameron Slater’s bitter and toxic fantasy world

The record of Cameron Slater’s time on the witness stand is more confirmation, as if any were needed, that the guy really is quite detached from reality. Clearly under pressure and unhappy to be there, Slater hissed and fizzed to the inquiry about the ‘dirty media’ and a ‘criminal hacker’ and moaned and grizzled about Nicky Hager invading his privacy, and the media revelling in his (Slater Jnr’s) private information blah blah …

Reprising the vacuous doubletalk of his previous court appearances and police interviews (“evasive and naive”, Judge Harvey described his performance, if I recall) Slater Jnr tried to bluster his way past inconvenient facts and documents. He really is a piece of work. (Chisholm himself said in his report: [272] “…While I believe that Mr Slater was genuinely trying to assist the inquiry, I decided that his evidence should be approached with great caution, especially where it conflicted with other evidence or the documentary record. …” Nuff said, right?)

This interchange, where he fatuously tried once again to spin his shallow sophistry and tissue-thin claim that he “wasn’t paid for the posts” he “was paid for strategy”. Classic horsemeat lasagne…

(Note: the “Jnr” is reference to the fact that, like Carrick Graham, Cameron is the son of a leading light in the National Party. In Cameron’s case, his father, John, is still deeply mired.)

I don’t know whether Cameron Slater is full-on crazy or or plays up to the crazy angle in an effort to garner sympathy. One thing is clear, though, avoid this man as much as you can. Even posts like this only feed into his skewed world of aggrieved victimhood. AVOID.
      [Last part deleted as inadvertently or not plays into the hands of certain people. Rawshark for Prime Minister – in order to protect this website please contact me to verify your identity. PG]

11. jaspa

/  13th December 2015

I note that “Sally” and her usual encouragement to donate money is absent from that thread.