Most annoying people at work

As many workplaces wind down for the year Colmar Brunton has published a poll on the top 10 most annoying types of people at work.

ColmarTop10AtWork

Time to escape the most annoying people at work

When offices close for the festive season this year, Kiwi workers will be looking forward to a break from dominators, untidy people, megaphones, lingerers and intruders.

They are the most annoying types of people at work according to a newly released survey from Colmar Brunton.

Dominators – those people who talk over others – were rated as the most annoying workmates this year with 36% of those surveyed including them in their top three. Women (42%) and those in the 30-49 year age group (46%) most disliked being talked over.

Colmar Brunton Account Manager Jessica Balbas says the types of people identified in the survey reflect a number or traits common to offices and other workplaces throughout the country.

“Every workplace has these types of people, but what the survey shows is that while we are quick to recognise faults and annoying habits among our workmates, we may be lacking a little bit of self awareness or honesty about our own behaviours.”

The 1000 Kiwis surveyed were asked what the most annoying types of people at work are and which of the types best describes themselves.

In the most annoying stakes, people who leave their desk or common areas untidy (26%), megaphones (loud talkers who have exaggerated conversations), people who hang around and talk even though you have work to do and intruders (people who butt into conversations) rounded out the five most annoying types.

Others to get up the noses of their fellow workers include the black hole (someone who doesn’t respond to emails), the photocopier bandit (someone who leaves the photocopier jammed and the wanderer (someone who wanders around aimlessly).

The Dominator (someone who talks over others) 36%
The Untidy One (someone who leaves their desk or common areas untidy) 26%
The Megaphone (a loud talker who has exaggerated conversations) 25%
The Lingerer (someone who lingers to talk, even though you have work to do) 25%
The Intruder (someone who butts in to conversations) 23%
The Sniffer (a person who constantly sniffs) 21%
The Borrower (someone who borrows stuff without asking) 20%
The Black Hole (someone who doesn’t respond to emails) 18%
The Noisy Eater (a person who chews loudly while eating at his or her desk) 16%
The Wanderer (someone who wanders around aimlessly) 14%

And how people describe themselves at work:

ColmarTop5TypesAtWork

But when it came to looking in the mirror, the greatest number described themselves as pen clickers (20%). A total of 14% identified themselves as backseat workers (someone who answers questions intended for someone else), 12% said they are untidy (slightly more men than women) or lingerers, while 10% fessed up to being intruders.

However just 5% admitted to fitting the dominator persona, 4% described themselves as megaphones and a mere 3% said they leave the photocopier jammed.

“Everybody will be able to relate to these types of people in the workplace but the test is whether they take an honest look at themselves. Then, whether they can change their own behavior when they return to work in the New Year for the good of their fellow workers,” Ms Balbas says.

1. Philip C

/  18th December 2015

My pet-hate worker is the “doom cloud” who can’t resist continually sharing every dreary episode of their depression / anxiety / hypochondria / personal meltdown / drama-du-jour with anyone who comes within earshot. Please! Save the tales of your personal demons for your therapist.

• kittycatkin

/  19th December 2015

I tried to upvote but couldn’t. I agree. I once had to work with a girl who went into too much tedious detail about her marriage and ex-husband.None of us knew him, he was in England, we were not that interested.

I assume that you would include gory details of illnesses, births and operations in yours. :-/

2. Rob

/  18th December 2015

Most annoying guy I ever worked with had the nick name ‘I Know’. Couldn’t say anything to him without getting the reply, I know, and he actually reckoned he did. Only ever read page 7 of the Herald and that made him an eggspurt on world affairs. Didn’t need to read anything about NZ or anything else because he was the (self annointed) eggspurt on everything. Actually, now that I think of it, kind of reminds me of someone who posts in here.

3. Maggy Wassilieff

/  18th December 2015

In my last job I was in an open plan office (for the first time in my life). The silence of the busy workers used to drive me nuts…… so I wandered about, chatting to all & sundry in my megaphone voice; made copious cups of tea (and slurped it loudly); always disagreed with everyone……. happy days.

4. Robby

/  18th December 2015

‘Touchy feely guy’ is the most annoying individual in my workplace. My kids get told at school to “keep hands, feet, & objects to themselves”. I don’t understand how a 40 year old man has yet to grasp this concept….

• kittycatkin

/  19th December 2015

Touchy feely woman is as bad and much harder to deal with. I once worked in a building with a woman who flirted with every man in sight-or should that be flirted AT ? The men disliked it heartily (she even used to sit on their knees) and while she meant nothing by it, they still didn’t like it. Her ears should have been red hot. It’s much harder to deal with Mr or Mrs Touchy-Feely when they DON’T mean it in a creepy way, I think. How can one say anything without looking ,er, touchy ?

• Robby

/  19th December 2015

Touchy feely guy likes to walk up behind people, and put his hand on their shoulder. Last time he did it to me, I quickly unzipped my overalls, then looked over my shoulder & blew him a kiss. He looked very embarrassed, and hasn’t done it to me since 😀

5. Timoti

/  19th December 2015

The nasty prick. You can always tell how things are at home by the mood he is in. Being in a bad mood means his colleagues must tread on egg shells. In a blue collar job it is not unusual for physical confrontations to ensue.

6. kittycatkin

/  19th December 2015

The person who leaves the photocopier EMPTY (and other things like staplers empty)

The person who repeats all the marvellous things that their boring, bratty children say and do and talks about when WE were pregnant (so you both had one, then ?)

The person who comes in at the one moment when someone’s stopped work for a few seconds and asks sarcastically if they haven’t enough to do.

The person who slides out for a smoke NB, someone who spends 10 minutes a a day smoking on work time has 40 hours a year off-a whole week more off work than everyone who doesn’t

The sneak-the person who tells that you made a lot of personal calls (one, an urgent one) on work time or that you ‘were seen in town’ when you were supposedly on sick leave. This happened to me when someone kindly took me to the doctor and then to the chemist and the office sneak saw me propping up a wall as I waited to be picked up and taken home from the chemist.

• MaureenW

/  19th December 2015

@KC
      ..”The person who always says ‘Greetings, peoples/Sit ye down/another day, another dollar etc etc etc”

Made me spill my coffee:)

• kittycatkin

/  19th December 2015

Sorry ! But we have all known someone like this. They think in cliches and bring them out as if they were original witticisms that nobody’s ever heard before 😀

They call water Adam’s Ale.

Often, but not always, they’re cheerful all the time and say ‘Cheer up, it may never happen !’ if you aren’t grinning like an idiot.

• MaureenW

/  19th December 2015

Tragically, I used to work with someone like this who just also happened to be my brother. He used to call his 150kg business partner “robbity-bob” Bob was a really nice guy, he used to just stare my brother in the eyes with no other expression as a means of silently communicating he wasn’t in to being called that. Didn’t stop him though.

7. kittycatkin

/  19th December 2015

Most annoying person who was a flatmate, not a workmate…one who borrowed a flatmate’s car and returned it with about a teaspoonful of petrol in the previously full tank. This happened twice, but the car owner didn’t let it happen a third time.