Wise words from Winston 0n Waitangi

Some wise words from Winston Peters on the Waitangi mess:

Winston Peters: The reality is that it’s very sad that regardless of who the Prime Minister is we are not as a country treating them with the dignity of their office on a national occasion like this, and it’s seriously disappointing from both a Maori perspective and also a New Zealand wide perspective.

Guyon Espiner: You think it has been handled in a way that’s disrespectful already?

Winston Peters: Well the reality is that Ngāpuhi is there as hosts on behalf of the whole nation in a sense that this is where the setting is established.

And you know you’ve got three hundred sixty four other days a year to argue these things on your national day to turn it into a major complaint, maybe rightfully so but not on that occasion, with the Government, is disappointing in terms of our international perspective, our image internationally, and also the growing of a culture where we actually treat similar things that have resulted from the unity of people over a long period of time.

Guyon Espiner: What’s the solution because you’ll remember well Helen Clark as Prime Minister, she stayed away didn’t she from Te Tii Marae for exactly this reason. I guess she was concerned that the Ngāpuhi elders who were organising it couldn’t get their act together was her view on it so she stayed away. Do you think that is the approach that should be taken?

Winston Peters: Well it’s actually worse than that. Before she became the Prime Minister there was the disgraceful incidence inside the meeting house at the lower marae where Titiwhai Harawira attacked her right to speak on behalf of the Labour Party. And you know things just descended from there.

So frankly, how shall I put it, I would have thought that this from a Ngāpuhi point of view is most unacceptable.

You will not see this happening down in Ngai Tahu in the South Island.  You will not see it happening in Ngāti Porou in Gisborne. You won’t see it happening in Rotorua.

So why on earth is Ngāpuhi putting up with this in Northland?

That’s the real issue and sooner or later they are going to have to address that question.

Guyon Espiner: It’s a little confusing isn’t it because they’re saying “look we’re inviting the Prime Minister to Te Tii Marae but we’ll try to block him from getting there and we’re in doubt about whether to let him speak and if he does speak we don’t want him to speak about politics”. It’s a bit of a mess.

Winston Peters: Well I don’t know how I could add anything more to it. It is a total utter mess and it’s been a mess for a long time. Sometimes it’s gone more smoothly than others but for over thirty five years that’s what we’ve put up with up north

And one of these days Ngāpuhi leaders are going to have to come to their senses and say this is not the image we want, we’re the biggest iwi in the country, this is not good for either Maoridom or any economic or social advancements or opportunities we might have, and it’s not good for our country.

But that day sadly in 2016 may not have arrived.

I, and I think a lot of Maori and Pakeha, will agree with Peters what Peters says here, and are as saddened as he sounds about the mess that Waitangi too often becomes.

And today it got even messier with John Key eventually pulling out of any visit to Waitangi this year.

Transcript from Radio NZ Winston Peters backs Key’s decision to attend Waitangi.

I wonder if Peters now backs Key’s decision to withdraw from a Waitangi visit.

1. Robby

/  4th February 2016

I’d be very interested to hear David Rankins’ thoughts on this.

2. Nelly Smickers

/  4th February 2016

They just need to get rid of old Scribble Face! 🙂

/  4th February 2016

I just got this email in Maori and thought it must be from my wrinkly MP. But sadly it turned out to be spam (with a Japanese name from a German address) …

Here te Ariki / Madam,

Ko toku ingoa Hira Akoni. i whakapā i mua i ahau wiki whakamutunga, kahore tetahi whakautu i koutou. I roto i toku pou o mua, korerotia e ahau ki a koutou e pā ana ki toku kiritaki pohe e faaite i te taua ingoa ano koutou.

Kua ui te pēke ahau ki te tapaea tana muri o te whanaunga no te utu pea o kotahi tekau Miriona rima rau mano US Tara, i mahue ia i muri i te aroaro o tona mate materoto.

Na reira, rapu ahau tou whakaae ki te tapaea koutou rite te muri o te whanaunga o toku mate hoki ki kia hanga te utu ki runga ki a koutou i runga i mo o toku kiritaki mate.

Heoi, tūtohu matou e whakarato koe te mōhiohio e whai ake nei ki te whakahaere i utu:

Ingoa …………………
      Ingoa whānau: …………..
      Country o takenga: …….

Mauruuru koe.
      Hira.

• Nelly Smickers

/  4th February 2016

Aha, DID you now 🙂

• Robby

/  4th February 2016

I didn’t know that ‘singlish’ had a maori equivalent. 😉

• kittycatkin

/  5th February 2016

I had one from Westpac to say that there had been a lot of withdrawals from my account (I didn’t open it, but know that that’s what it says) and they want to up my security-no doubt by asking for my pin number. I don’t bank with them, so this was rather odd 🙂

Lucky Alan ! When you get the money, will you take us all on a world cruise ? Can my dog come ? He won’t be any trouble, he can sleep in my stateroom and, er, do what dogs do over the side of the ship.

• Timoti

/  5th February 2016

Second paragraph, second line. Get it right Kitty. Otherwise, you are a HYPOCRITE.
            I’m quite enjoying the lessons, though.
            However, any repeat of this slackness will result in me calling you KittySlack.
            Like me, you are on notice. Although I can never be called a hypocrite.

• Robby

/  4th February 2016

LOL, this is what google translate thinks of your email Alan…..

Here Sir / Madam ,

My name is Silas Akoni . contact me before last week without any response from you . In my previous post , I told you about my client died share the same name as you .

The bank has asked me to present his next of kin for the price of one and ten million five hundred thousand US dollars, left behind before his death prematurely.

Therefore , I seek your consent to present you as the next of kin of my life to make the payment to you on behalf of my clients died .

However, we recommend that you provide the following information to the control price:

Better get in quick, in order to claim your moneys….

3. artcroft

/  4th February 2016

Well I never .. an intelligent and to the point comment from Winston. Must be a blue moon out tonight.

• kittycatkin

/  5th February 2016

It shows what he can do when he’s not trying to be funny and amuse the braying sycophants at Grey Power who think that he’s the wittiest thing since Oscar Wilde and laugh their heads at old, meaningless ‘jokes’ just because he’s telling them. They’d laugh at anything he said, and applaud it.. He’s no fool, but he certainly comes across as one at those times.

4. Brown

/  4th February 2016

Key should have told this rabble of losers to get stuffed years ago and that he hasn’t shows his lack of mettle. Maori don’t respect people that don’t stand up for themselves. At last, one thing i can support them in.

• kittycatkin

/  5th February 2016

You try standing up against a hostile crowd and then tell me how easy it is.

‘Not all Maori people think alike, surely, they’re not clones.

5. Peters makes a very good point – this wouldn’t have happened with Ngai Tahu, Ngati Porou or Arawa. It is notable that Nga Puhi still haven’t arrived at a Treaty settlement yet, though the Crown has been wanting to negotiate for decades. Nga Puhi is a basket case. It is a shame that leaders like Shane Jones have not stepped up to leadership in Nga Puhi.

/  4th February 2016

Yes, Nga Puhi well demonstrate the futility of the collective absent its dictator with enough guns to enforce submission.

6. kittycatkin

/  5th February 2016

I agree with Winston Peters (who said that ??? Oh, dear, it was me-alpha and omega, I suspect)

I was unimpressed when Helen Clark was treated so rudely that she ended up in tears, and I didn’t vote for her as PM, It’s the office, not the person. It was incredibly discourteous to the PM, no matter who they were.