Plans for Waitangi Day

John Key doesn’t know what he will be doing on Waitangi Day. Newstalk ZB: Key’s Waitangi plans up in the air

John Key hasn’t decided what he will be doing on Waitangi day, now that he’s pulled out attending celebrations at Te Tii Marae.

He said he’d like to go “somewhere where there is hopefully a festive atmosphere, where we can celebrate with other New Zealanders.

“I mean that’s what most other people will be doing on Waitangi day,” he said.

I doubt that’s what most New Zealanders do on Waitangi Day. Many will do what they would normally do on a Saturday. Some will be taking advantage of having a long weekend now public holidays are Mondayised.

Andrew Little will be at Te Tii Marae today but isn’t sure what he will be able to do. NZ Herald reports:

Mr Little said he could understand the frustration Mr Key felt about the changing rules, saying it would be difficult to speak on such a day without veering near politics.

The letter that set out the request not to discuss politics said the same rule would apply to other parties – a rule that was confirmed by marae trustee Emma Gibbs.

However, Mr Little said no such rule had been communicated to him. He would assess for himself what he could say after talking to the marae elders today.

Winston Peters was planning to be at Waitangi but I don’t know what sort of reception he will get after being highly critical of Ngāpuhi – see Wise words from Winston 0n Waitangi, and the Herald:

New Zealand First leader Winston Peters said the Prime Minister’s non-attendance is highly regrettable for the north, for Ngapuhi, and for the country.

“I think Ngapuhi’s going to seriously regret the way it’s imaged itself, and its failure to make a stand on behalf of the protocols to the benefit of dialogue and discussion.”

“Really, when you are hosting a event for the nation in a specific place on the nation’s behalf, you’ve got to think bigger than yourselves.”

When hosting an annual national event, especially one that is the closest thing we have to being a national day, does have responsibilities to consider more than your own interests.

I don’t have to worry about that and can do whatever I want to. That will include my daily tasks here at Your NZ. I’ll also be interested in keeping an eye the cricket to see whether the Black Caps can back up their very good win over the Baggy Greens.

I also plan on attacking a pile of macrocarpa that needs to be cut to firewood and chipped.  I guess I’ll watch a bit of news too but that may depend on how interesting the cricket is.

What will you be doing on Waitangi Day?

Next Post

1. Missy

/  5th February 2016

Not sure if he could make it in time, but if he wants to celebrate with kiwis there is the Waitangi Day pub crawl in London! 😉

• Interesting that there seems to be more desire for celebration of New Zealand on Waitangi Day on the far side of the world.

• Missy

/  5th February 2016

I think it is just an excuse for getting drunk to be honest, as opposed to actually being a national celebration.

/  5th February 2016

Depending on the weather I’ll be trying to finish the roof on a horse shelter I’m building for my step-daughter or taking rubbish to the tip or catching up on bills and other maintenance, maybe website stuff too That’s after walking the dogs of course.

3. Patzcuaro

/  5th February 2016

Perhaps John Key should go to the cricket. Based on the last game there is a good chance there will be something to celebrate.

• @ Patzcuaro – there would be something to celebrate. The contest!!!

However, this is not applicable to real life, only to sport … (shite, even I can’t make sense of that one … and I am hyper-intelligent)

4. Blazer

/  5th February 2016

‘The Prime Minister said he will be taking advice from his office about what to do on the day.’…..or ask Crosby/Textor what to do…talk about leaders leading.

• jamie

/  5th February 2016

Or do whatever it is he planned two weeks ago when he decided he wasn’t going to Waitangi.

5. Blazer

/  5th February 2016

Fanboy Bjm……’ I congratulate our Prime Minister for exercising leadership ‘…too funny!

• I just talked to my family in Ahipara, and they say John Key is doing the right thing by not going to Waitangi to be insulted by the ratbags who never have done anything except moan. It is starting to rain up there which is a relief from the heat of the last few days. Blazer, I’m impressed you actually see something funny in my comments. What is strange about a leader taking advice before making a decision? It is called democratic leadership and not autocratic. When your thinking matures Blazer with experience and age, you will blush at the insults you are publishing here. It is tiresome and repetitive and does not add anything of merit.

/  5th February 2016

‘I just talked to my family in Ahipara, and they say John Key is doing the right thing by not going to Waitangi’….wunderbar…that settles it then,case closed!You’re on fire today old chap.

/  5th February 2016

Yes, it’s wet and settling in for the day. No show without Punch so the whanau can fight amongst themselves as usual. The Navy will eat well on the PM’s Breakfast provisions and the poor old cops will still be out in the weather dealing with the local wild life.

6. Brown

/  5th February 2016

I’d like to fly over with a load of Agent Orange. Splay and fry alay.

/  5th February 2016

thats a defoliant Einstein,maybe you mean …napalm.

• Alan & Brown – “Splay and fry … the local wild life”! Here’s the sort of attitude that’s gonna heal the nation’s soul eh? We’ll never get a decent flag with ‘souls’ like yours on display.

You guys are basically talking genocide and racist ethno-typology respectively.
        How very Christian and charitable of you Brown. How very “humanist” of you Alan.

Its so nice to have found a “free speech” forum to observe and challenge these cutting edge, contemporary, wholesome ideas.

Orhhh, didums, they’ve messed up your National delusion Day.
        Ever thought that maybe your supremacist delusions messed up their Nation?

/  5th February 2016

I think you are the one with delusions, PZ. Nothing racist about my reference – it’s entirely behavioural unlike your interpretation. And the comment is simply true.

7. Pickled Possum

/  5th February 2016

We will be going further far north to the beach bach to just lay back and rest
    to pamper our glorious mother and to give thanks that she is still alive after some major surgery.

As I seem to remember only a few Waitangi days where it hasn’t rained and it’s looking like another rainy Waitangi day there will be plenty of time to play scrabble.
    heh heh I have learnt some seriously rad words on this site and will be showing off my new huinga kupu to my mothers mokopuna who are part of the rising Maori intelligentsia and think their Aunti is the gardener, cook, laundry lady, chauffeur, after the paid mahi of course.
    To be seen and not heard yea right you say, just cook those eggs aunti and leave the hard stuff to us they make me laugh with their loving cheeky korero.
    The very ones who massage my tired feet legs and aching back with aroha.
    Yes Aunti is in the house today tamariki ma 🙂

May you all have a peaceful and productive weekend.

• Interesting that it frequently rains on Waitangi Day?
      Do you, or do Maori assign any meaning to this?

Ora roa , me te kake Possum. Live long and prosper.

8. Pantsdownbrown

/  5th February 2016

Good opportunity to rub there noses in it. If I was John Key I’d look at going to a different tribe’s marae for the day, I’m sure there is no shortage of Maori around the country treating the day with the respect it deserves.