Barmy beach

I don’t know how balmy the weather is at the beach at Awaroa Inlet but the attempt to buy the property there and gift it to the public has taken a barmy turn with Gareth Morgan offering to provide a big dollop of cash – providing he and his family get exclusive use of part of the property for 10 or fifteen years or as long as they want to use it for.

I wonder if I offered a hundred dollars I could get some exclusive use? But that wouldn’t be much use to me, I can’t afford a launch or a helicopter to get there and use it.

And also barmy is Morgan’s suggestion that they need to work out a deal with the owner  that ensures they will win the tender.

Morgan is concerned that the $2 million being raised won’t be anywhere near enough to win the tender. He may be right. But I don’t think a tender process usually allows one party to be guaranteed to win the tender.

While the aim is to gift the property to the public there’s only going to be a very small number of the public who get to use it, if Morgan allows them to.

Previous post on this: Awaroa Beach – public, not political

I hope politicians have backed off thinking about Government funding for this. Buying a beach that a hundred people a year might get to use is also barmy.

1. Mike C

/  9th February 2016

I honestly didn’t think that it was possible to dislike Gareth Morgan more than I already did … but he has managed to do it 🙂

/  9th February 2016

It’s a bit of a Clayton’s gift, isn’t it ? I wouldn’t mind if he had a wee bit for a bach, but I somehow think that that’s not what he has in mind.

/  9th February 2016

(blushing face) I not only gave you a downvote by mistake, I somehow took away one of your upvotes to do it. How embarrassing :-/

• Mike C

@Mitty

No worries 🙂

I will just take away a couple of the up votes I have given you to even things out.

/  9th February 2016

Kitty, usually if you click on the opposite vote a few times it will reverse for you

• Mike C

@Kitty

Yeap … Gareth Morgan’s definition of a Bach would be 30,000 square feet at a minimum. LOL.

By the way … you and me are the same person according to Timoti.

Any ideas as to how we should go about debunking his fantasy 🙂

/  9th February 2016

Well, we don’t look alike, do we ? Where did he say THAT ? Our styles are quite different. If one person was doing us both, they’d be going to an awful lot of trouble to make the two personae sound so different, and really, I can’t think what they’d gain from it. They’d have to check every sentence to make sure that it was credible as whoever it was supposed to be; who would bother ? Que c’est ridicule ! Je ne suis pas si bete, et toi aussi, tu n’es pas si bete non plus. Quel blague ! Je ris. Non compos mentis est. Das ist nicht sehr nett, nein ? Je ne peux pas y penser en les langues autres maintenant. Merde alors !

/  9th February 2016

Our punctuation styles are quite different; I use ;s all the time and you never do. I have never said ‘yeap’, You always use @ and I don’t. I throw in Latin words and quotes and you don’t. It’s absurd.

/  9th February 2016

too much information…as they say the lady doth protest …too much’!

30,000 square metres, you mean 😀 Or is that hectares ? 😀

/  10th February 2016

No, but seriously-how could any remotely sane person think that we are the same person ?

2. Barmy or balmy? Nope, I think we sould make the point that to want exclusive rights of access to our coast-line is not part of the Kiwi ethic.

3. mrMan

/  9th February 2016

If he pays the full 2 million and then gifts it to the country on his death then fine, but if he’s just looking to pay the 600 grand left from the crowdfunding then tell him he’s dreaming. Sadly it’s the second option.

/  9th February 2016

It would be too maddening if it was take his offer or lose the deal. What would happen then ? Horrors !

• Klik Bate

/  9th February 2016

Doubt it will even be a competition for the local bidders. There’s no doubt a couple of cunning chinamen already sitting in the wings with a few million hot yuan just waiting to pounce

4. Nelly Smickers

/  9th February 2016

My huzband has always said Gareth Morgan would do and say anything just to get his ugly bonce in the paper 🙂

/  9th February 2016

The ladies above have dealt to this clown as he deserves. I only hope he doesn’t derail the public campaign.

• Mike C

@AlanW

Well … you have absolutely no doubt at all that I am a female.

But do you have proof that “Kitty” “Nelly” and “MrMan” are? 🙂

/  9th February 2016

Quite right, Mike. We should ask for matching photos like yours!

And apologies for omitting MrMan. His contribution was indeed worthy.

• Mike C

@AlanW

Thank you for noticing that my avatar photo is such a very good likeness of me prior to my substantial plastic surgery 🙂

/  9th February 2016

I’ll have you know that this is a painting of me.

/  9th February 2016

I hope that he doesn’t stuff up the campaign by his egotistical posturing,Alan. And doesn’t it make him look mean and unwillingly to do something for nothing ? My mother left a really large legacy to Hospice-and I mean really, really large, five figures-but she didn’t leave instructions that they were to name a room after her and it didn’t occur to me to insist upon it !

/  9th February 2016

I could have sworn you were born later than October 1877, Kitty.

/  10th February 2016

I look exactly like my ancestor in the Tissot original, so an identical one was done of me. (gazes innocently at Alan)

• Klik Bate

/  9th February 2016

You can’t help but have noticed over the last little while, that there may be the odd person here suffering from what is commonly known as, ‘Generalized Anxiety Disorder,’ (or GAD for short).

This unfortunate condition manifests itself in that some individuals seem to be continually worried about what other people (usually complete strangers), are doing, in the sad belief it somehow affects them personally.

It was Steve Jobs that said, “Your time is limited, don’t waste it living someone else’s life”

• Mike C

/  10th February 2016

@AlanW

Just realized that you were probably talking about the photos of me published on another blog … and not my favorite cow avatar 🙂

/  10th February 2016

I thought that he was being very rude indeed-but in a caring way, as Dame Edna says.

• alanw45

/  10th February 2016

I don’t think you are an old cow now, Mike. Plastic surgery or not. And Kitty’s ancestor in 1877 looks a bit flighty don’t you think? Standing into danger as the flag signals?

6. Don’t donate money – let Rio Tinto buy it as an investment. They have the money.

7. Maggy Wassilieff

/  9th February 2016

This erodible piece of coast is not worth $2million. Who is talking the price up? who benefits if it sells for way above its GV?

8. David

/  9th February 2016

I can’t get my head around the price tag given how tricky it is to access, the way the beach would move and wonder if there is not a bit more to this story. The public has access to the beach anyway under the foreshore and seabed legislation…if they have a boat.

• Brown

/  10th February 2016

Access to private beaches is at owner’s discretion. Relatives owned a farm in bordering Tauranga harbour and that included a beautiful secluded beach where ownership rights extended to the high tide line (at least). At mid to high tide the beach was isolated by water against cliffs for quite some distance either side. It was consistently amusing to see people appear around the point at low tide, having walked at least a couple of K’s along the public beach from the nearest public access, to have to turn around when they saw the owners and guests enjoying the beach they owned. On occasion trespassers needed to be told they were trespassing. Govt legislation won’t remove the property rights already existing.

/  10th February 2016

Why was it amusing for unsuspecting people to have a fruitless walk of 4+km on a hot day ? You have a very odd sense of humour.

9. insider

/  10th February 2016

Has anyone bothered to ask DoC whether they even want this isolated piece of land? They might have better ideas on how to spend $2 m. Who will pay the rates on it if DoC don’t want it?