Police investigating voting paper thefts

The police are investigating the alleged theft of hundreds of flag referendum voting papers after claims were made on Twitter.

If the claims are true this is a serious breach of democracy and law. If untrue it’s a seriously irresponsible claim.

Radio NZ: Alleged flag voting paper theft investigated

The Electoral Commission is investigating claims an Auckland man stole hundreds of flag voting papers and voted in favour of the new design

Several people alerted the commission to the comment he made on a Facebook page five days ago.

The man said he had collected the voting papers from people 'who couldn't care less'.The man said he had collected the voting papers from people ‘who couldn’t care less’.

The man wrote that he had collected nearly 300 voting papers from neighbours and friends that he believed “couldn’t care less”.

He had ticked the new flag option on all of them – but it was not known if the papers have been cast.

The number sounds suspect to me, that’s a lot of papers to either be stolen or given to someone – who would willingly give him their voting papers?

And if stolen as suggested surely someone would have noticed something, that’s a lot of letter boxes or houses raided.

Whether true or not this is very stupid and highly irresponsible.

If the vote ends up being close can we expect a long and costly process of checking the votes?

1. Klik Bate

/  10th March 2016

Probably a safer gig than being deployed to Kawerau 🙂

2. Zedd

/  10th March 2016

… desperate measures… from the ‘pro-change’ side ? :/

3. kittycatkin

/  10th March 2016

I think that we’ve heard this claim before-I am highly suspicious. Someone, surely, would notice a person opening letterboxes and taking out the contents which is a reasonably serious offence as my family discovered when a piece of mail containing a cheque for the previous owner of the house went astray-it was horrible, the police came to the house. 300 houses is a streetful. If the police find this moron and take them at their word, serve them right.

I’m sure that I have read a claim from someone that they collected the election letters from vast numbers of people and used their votes. This would only work if the person was the same sex and race, of course. I doubt whether any returning officer would believe that I was Mohammed Hussain, George Wong or Tamati Patea. Or that an obviously Somali or Chinese man was Sarah Jones 😀

4. Kitty Catkin

/  10th March 2016

What kind of bonehead advertises the fact that they’ve committed a crime ?

• Kevin

/  10th March 2016

You’d be surprised. I would say that the majority of solved crimes are solved because someone blabbed. In fact the police are trained to get people to talk and the first advice to anyone arrested is keep your mouth shut.

/  10th March 2016

Yes, but to advertise it on Facebook shows a high level of stupidity-although it must save the cops a lot of trouble. I didn’t mean the usual blabbing, I meant putting it online for all to see ! This fool hasn’t made a video of himself as some fools do and then post it on Facebook. Here’s me stealing a car. Here’s me driving like a maniac in it. Go directly to jail. do not pass go, do not collect $200.

5. jamie

/  10th March 2016

“He has claimed he has ticked them, that doesn’t mean he has collected the voting papers or doing anything with them.”

Um, he says “So far iv collected nearly 300 voting papers…” so I’m not sure what you mean there.

/  10th March 2016

He says that he collected them from friends and neighbours. Who has 300 friends and neigbours ? If he stole them, it’s a crime. If he uses someone else’s voting paper, I would imagine that that’s one as well. He seems not to have thought that the boys in blue look at Facebook-he’s not the first idiot who’s advertised the fact that he’s committed a crime there.

I don’t know what you mean by saying that he has ticked them, but that this doesn’t mean that he has collected them in one sentence and that so far he’s collected nearly 300 in the next. He either has or he hasn’t-and he says that he has. It would be a bit difficult to tick them without collecting them, anyway-this would have been understood even if he hadn’t said it.

/  10th March 2016

Two years and/or a $40,000 fine for filling out someone else’s voting paper. That’s as well as whatever you get for stealing mail.

/  10th March 2016

Tampering with or unlawfully opening someone else’s mail can result in 6 months prison and/or a $5000 fine-as well as theft charges, so this idiot is going to wish that he’d never joined Facebook. The laugh that he mentions will be on him.

• jamie

/  10th March 2016

“I don’t know what you mean by saying that he has ticked them, but that this doesn’t mean that he has collected them in one sentence and that so far he’s collected nearly 300 in the next. ”

It’s not me saying that kitty, the first sentence is Pete in the post, the second is what the guy said.

I’m as confused as you are as to what that means, that’s why I quoted those two sentences 😀

/  11th March 2016

Oh-I see-Pete was saying that there’s no evidence that it’s true. The penny has dropped :-/

What a mistake-a to make-a.

6. Nate

/  16th March 2016

Well, I know that my first referendum letter “never turned up” in the mailbox… I live in an apartment complex with an unlocked mailbox. The mailbox door is broken and impossible to lock….

I am sure that there are many other shared mailboxes like this in apartment complexes in Auckland CBD…..

• Nate

/  16th March 2016

Note that I requested a second ballot, and made sure to check it first thing every morning. I got the second ballot; which clearly had a note stating it was (in fact) the replacement….

So they had my address, the first ballot was sent, and I never received it!?!