Favourite movies

After saying that Hunt for the Wilderpeople is probably the best New Zealand movie I’ve seen and one of the best movies I’ve seen – see Wilderblog – Clemgeopin asked “can you name about 5 of the very good movies that you have seen in your life please”.

I’ve had to give that a bit of thought. here are the movies that came to mind.

The first movie that I think impressed me significantly was Easy Rider, controversial, had a number of messages and had some great music.

Two other movies with a strong musical component that have left a lasting impression were Jesus Christ Superstar and Hair, although I was familiar with the music before the movies came out in both cases. I’ve since watched repeats and will watch both again.

Other movies that I remember liking more than usual were or leaving a lasting impression were A Clockwork Orange, Deliverance, Forrest Gump and Shakespeare in Love.

Gloomy Sunday also left a big impression.

Chicken Run is memorable for me, as a movie it was ok but more for other reasons.

Older New Zealand movies I particularly liked were Smash Palace and Goodbye Pork Pie (I wonder what the remake will be like).

I’m not a fan of Lord of the Rings and The Hobbitt sort of movies, and King Kong was too corny for my liking, but I thought Peter Jackson’s Heavenly Creatures was a top movie.

I thought Whale Rider and Boy were very good, and I also enjoyed the quirky Eagle vs Shark.

Taika Waititi directed both Boy and Eagle vs Shark, but I rate Hunt for the Wilderpeople above them and most other movies.

I don’t know what Wilderpeople will be like for people who aren’t familiar with Crump’s writing but I think there’s enough current content and straight out entertainment to satisfy most people. And it’s just a very well written, well paced, funny and at times emotional movie.

Watch it and judge for yourself.

I’ve just checked the top all time 100 movies on Box Office Mojo and of my picks only Forrest Gump features, at #85. I’ve watched maybe 20 of the others but none have impressed me particularly and certainly not much as those I’ve mentioned above.

1. Missy

/  3rd April 2016

I thought it would be difficult to come up with 5 movies that stand out for me, but find I have come up with a few more!

In no particular order mine are:

Gallipoli – the documentary that was on cinematic release, it was made by a turkish documentary maker, but he targeted it very well at the NZ/Aus, Turkish, British markets having three versions, one narrated by Sam Neill, one narrated by Jeremy Irons and one narrated in Turkish by a Turkish actor.

Joyeaux Noel, a movie about the Christmas Truce in WWI, it is a fictional story but illustrates the truce really well, one thing I liked about it is that the soldiers were played by actors of the nationalities they were and spoke in their own languages (i.e.: German for German, French for French, British for British). A lovely feel good Christmas movie, despite the horrificness (is that a word?) of the history and story around it.

Goodbye Pork Pie – Kiwi classic, need I say more.

Dirty Dancing – I was a girl of a certain age when it came out, I can’t explain what it is about this movie, but it is one I love, despite it being rather corny – maybe that is what I like about it, and the dancing, and Patrick Swayze with his shirt off – a lot! 🙂

But Always – this is a Chinese romantic tragedy, it is in Chinese with English subtitles, but also has some parts in English, which are not there as pandering to the west, but part of the narrative. A lovely movie

Black Book – this is a Dutch movie set during WWII, it is about a young women who works with the resistance in Holland. For any GoT fans, Carice van Houten (Melisandre) is in it.

The Artist, I saw this at the Embassy Theatre in Wellington, it seemed appropriate a silent black and white film set in the 1930’s be seen in such a beautiful theatre. For those who don’t know this one, it is a modern silent movie (if that makes any sense), it is filmed in Black and White, what is good is it is actually made by a French Film maker, so because it is silent it doesn’t matter what language the film is in.

I also really enjoyed Les Miserables, I know a lot of people had issues with it, and Russel Crowe aside, I found it enjoyable, what I liked is that it moved the narrative of the musical around to bring in more of the scenes from the book, and follow the narrative of the book more. It was fun to watch – but now it is quite fun to watch it and pick out the buildings from Greenwich where they filmed some of it. 🙂

I didn’t do too bad! I am sure there are some others I haven’t thought of!

/  3rd April 2016

I loved The Artist, but found the new Les Mis annoying as it was quite different to the book, in ways that seemed unnecessary. I will never again go to a film of a book that I love. I didn’t mind Russell Crowe’s singing-it was a bit wooden, but it seemed to suit the character. It’s been too long for me to recognise the places, alas 😦

The rapport between dog and man in The Artist was brilliant, it was impossible to believe that they weren’t together as a family in real life.

It’s very difficult to choose five…

In no particular order-

The French film Bolero, in which the Ravel music was an important part, was one of my most-loved; I saw it over and over, and the same people turned up all the time, Boleroholics.

Gone With the Wind

I loved Superstar-I found the double album in an opshop a few years ago.

Some Like it Hot (possibly the best last line ever)

The Kenneth Branagh MacBeth. It was filmed on stage-it was brilliantly acted-it made a play that one has seen and read ? times seem as if it was brand new. The Derek Jacobi Lear was excellent, too. I have seen & read that more times than I could count-my ex-partner was in the best production imaginable, easily equal to the Jacobi one except for a weak Cordelia who was a poor choice-but the Jacobi one had the pwer to make it seem as if one had never seen it before, so I’ll put those two films as one, as I can’t leave any of the others off the list.

2. Oliver

2. Easy Rider
      3. Schindler’s List/Sophie’s Choice
      4. Star Wars
      5. Forest Gump

• Conspiratoor

/  3rd April 2016

You got me on easy rider G. A seminal movie for our generation. Swore one day I’d do R66 on a hog with a love interest riding shotgun. Had so much fun we did it twice! There is only one way to arrive in the city that never sleeps

/  3rd April 2016

I still remember how I felt walking out from Once Were Warriors, C. It was like being hit with a sledgehammer for me.

• Conspiratoor

/  3rd April 2016

you walked out g? should have stayed to the end!

/  3rd April 2016

I stayed to the end C. I meant when I walked out after if finished it had really shocked me.

/  3rd April 2016

I didn’t see Easy Rider when it was new, but I have often gone out of town on my motorbike singing ‘Get your motor running, head out on the highway/Looking for adventure, whatever comes my way/I believe we can make it happen……’

• One of my favourite songs is from it:

• I enjoyed both Amelie and Chocolat.

• Conspiratoor

/  3rd April 2016

I’m sure you’d also enjoy Betty Blue PG, one of the longest sex scenes you’ll ever see in a movie without the coy navel-up shots you would expect from Hollywood. As an added bonus it’s all in french. And for the best in french black comedy Delicatessan has no equal

4. Brown

/  3rd April 2016

And so the rehabilitation of Barry Crump begins. I see one of his wives wants recognition for the book.

5. In no particular order, a selection from the long-list …

– Pictures (NZ 1981) http://www.nzonscreen.com/title/pictures-1981

– The Detective (1968, Frank Sinatra, Lee Remick, Jacqui Bissett)

– Brainstorm (1983 Natalie Wood, Christopher Walken)

– FairyTale: A True Story (1997, Peter O’Toole, Harvey Keitel)
    (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FairyTale:_A_True_Story

– The Grey Zone (2001, David Arquette, Harvey Keitel, Mira Sorvino)

• Oliver

/  3rd April 2016

Never heard of them. I wonder why?

• Clemgeopin

/  3rd April 2016

I have nether seen nor heard of any of those. They seem interesting. I am making a list of the movies from all the writers here to see if I can get to watch ‘some’ of those….My half full bucket list!

6. Didn’t appear first time, posted again with only three links, now they’re both there. Doh!

• If there’s over a specified number of links comments go into auto moderation (standard spam protection) and I released it from there so have deleted your second comment.

7. Clemgeopin

/  3rd April 2016

Nice topic PG! Brings back many memories. Thanks for the post!

I prefer realistic movies and also good comedies. Two of the funniest classic movies I have watched are ‘The Russians are coming’ and ‘The Gods must be crazy!’

I enjoy musicals too. I liked the 2012 musical drama ‘Les Misérables’. Was quite impressed with Russell Crowe in that movie.

Interesting to read the widely varied tastes and interests that we all have!

What are the funny movies or musicals that you have liked?

• I named a few of the funny or musical movies I have liked in the post.

I also prefer some degree of realism in movies, and generally don’t like fantasy movies and grossly over the top action movies.

While parts of Wilderpeople were not very believable significant parts of it were quite believable and dealt with in a sensitive and at times humorous way.

Sadly there are kids who are virtually abandoned by one or both parents and have a hell of a time being handed from one home to an other and often become bad statistics.

• Clemgeopin

/  3rd April 2016

My question was not specifically to you but to all other readers too here.

I too do not like fantasy, crazy science fiction(even though I like Science) or too much of violence. I do like good suspense crime thrillers though.

I enjoyed ‘The life of Pi’ though the ending was a little bit of too much crazy crap I felt.

/  3rd April 2016

I am not a fan of fantasy & sci-fi, either in written or film form.

8. Nelly Smickers

/  3rd April 2016

Not necessarily in order of preference:

1. Blue Velvet
    2. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    3. The Motel
    4. Nightmare on Elm Street
    5. Saw 1 – 7

9. Science fiction – most of it seems to be fantasy stuff that is far from believable. I’m not interested in most of that so I tend to stay away from any sci-fi.

Can anyone recommend thought provoking and realistic sci-fi?

Planet of the Apes was along those lines and i enjoyed that. I saw a recent Apes movie though that was absurd with much of it’s action, which was disappointing.

• Conspiratoor

/  3rd April 2016

Believeable sci-fi sounds like an oxymoron but you could try the Martian. If you’re still not convinced the technology is possible, read the book

• David

/  3rd April 2016

“Believeable sci-fi sounds like an oxymoron but you could try the Martian.”

Only if you have a very narrow definition of sci-fi. Films like 2001 or Moon are very believable I think. Star Wars no so much, that that is really what they call space opera, not sci-fi.

• Robby

/  3rd April 2016

Can anyone recommend thought provoking and realistic sci-fi?

‘Strange Days’ (1995)
      ‘The Martian’ is worth watching too

• David

Brazil.

Without a shadow of doubt, the best movie ever made.

• Robby

/  3rd April 2016

Great film David, found it on youtube. It is interesting to watch how the future was envisioned thirty years ago, and compare it to our current reality.
        I posted this link on another thread late last night, but here it is again. It is pretty seldom that Mrs Robby & I both enjoy a movie, but we loved this one…

10. Pantsdownbrown

/  3rd April 2016

Off the top of my head and in no particular order….

*A Clockwork Orange (1971) (WAY ahead of its time, ultra-violent and in-your-face).
    *Five Easy Pieces (1970) (One of Nicholson’s best).
    *Taxi Driver (1976) (One of De Niro’s best).
    *The Swimmer (1968) (now considered a cult classic – gotta love the cheesy middle piece with Burt Lancaster racing the Stallion! The movie is not at all about what the storyline suggests……..).
    *American Beauty (1999)(A modern classic).

11. MaureenW

/  3rd April 2016

In no particular order ..
    The Crying Game
    American Beauty
    The Grinch
    The Deer Hunter
    Singing in the Rain

12. Kitty Catkin

/  3rd April 2016

I adored My Fair Lady when I was a child.

The one about the young Englishman who was Marilyn Monroe’s minder when she was filming in England was excellent. I forget its name-My Week/Ten Days With Marilyn or something like that.

There was once an Alfred Hitchcock festival in Wellington, and a friend and I went to all of them.

13. Kitty Catkin

/  3rd April 2016

Rocky is on again-the original 1976 one. Da-da-da da-da-DAH….

14. While The Ballad of Easy Rider was the theme I think the strongest Steppenwolf song was (god damn) The Pusher:

You know I’ve seen a lot of people
    Walking around with tombstones in their eyes
    But the pusher don’t care
    Ah if you live or if you die

God damn, the pusher, God damn, hey I say the pusher
    I say, “God damn, God damn the pusherman”

• Pantsdownbrown

/  3rd April 2016

‘Easy Rider’ is a great ‘cultural’ movie and the main reason director’s for a time won back creative rights/power from the studios & as a result some great movies were made in the late 1960s – mid 1970’s which wouldn’t even get past first base today.

However the movie itself is average at best, meanders along and loses impetus at the drug taking scenes (Mardi gras from memory?) – saved only by a great soundtrack and a show-stealing turn by Jack Nicholson which saved his career.

15. Comedy movies …

‘Airport’ with Lloyd Bridges saying, “Picked the wrong day to give up smoking” …
    Monty Python’s ‘Holy Grail’, ‘Life of Brian’ and ‘The Meaning of Life’.

Musicals … “Sound of Music” and “South Pacific”

“You’ve got to be taught to be afraid
    Of people who’s eyes are oddly made
    Of people whos’ skin’s a different shade …”

• ‘Catch 22’, ‘MASH’ and ‘Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb’ were al good.

• Pantsdownbrown

/  3rd April 2016

I liked ‘Blazing Saddles’ as a kid (not sure how it holds up today?)

16. hard for me too as a bit of a film buff…
    ‘American Beauty’ (Ricky Fitts a favourite character, Wes Bentley ditto)
    ‘Ashik Kerib’ (armenian fairy tale)
    ‘Night of the Hunter’ (apart from a lacklustre ending)
    ‘La Dolce Vita’
    ‘Wise Blood’

17. Nelly Smickers

/  3rd April 2016

Ever since Wayne got home from fishing this arvo and saw mine, he’s been on and on at me to post about his favorit movie as well……

‘The Creature from the Black Lagoon’

He even found this trailer to attach:

18. comedy