Liberal versus Conservative

Jamie posted this in comments, I thought it was worth it’s own post.

Liberal vs Conservative (from Louis CK’s “Horace and Pete”)

We could all learn something from this.

1. There are way more important things to argue about than where someone fits on the liberal-conservative political spectrum.

“A house divided against itself cannot stand” ~ Abraham Lincoln, paraphrasing Mark 3:25

• Iceberg

/  12th April 2016

Like whether the Moon is faked or not?

/  12th April 2016

The moon’s definitely fake. Half the time when I look for it, it’s not even there. 😎

• Iceberg

/  12th April 2016

They turn the power off. Even the CIA has a budget.

/  12th April 2016

Bastards. Somebody’s making money out of that I’ll bet.

/  12th April 2016

Some miserable sod’s just turned the sun off and the water on-water must be cheaper than sunlight.

2. Brown

/  12th April 2016

There’s not enough background to the characters to make this useful. I hate the fat guy already.

/  12th April 2016

So do I and I’m a liberal.

• jamie

/  12th April 2016

The stereotype characters really aren’t important in this instance, they don’t have any background or context, it is just what it is.

3. Iceberg

/  12th April 2016

Martyn Martin’s post today about National voters is a classic from NZ’s biggest blowhard Liberal.

Boils down to “Agree with me or you are worth nothing but my disgust and derision.”

He’s one of those on the left that more or less guaranteed Nationals victory in 2014. There should be nothing but disgust and derision towards him from the left.

/  12th April 2016

I don’t think he has a monopoly on the attitude. I don’t visit his site regularly because he doesn’t allow competition of views in his comments. Do you have a link to the post you mean?

4. Kitty Catkin

/  12th April 2016

‘Every little boy or girl, who’s born into this world alive/Is either a little Liberal/Or else a little ConservaTIVE..’

Gilbert and Sullivan having a groan-groan moment.

5. Kitty Catkin

/  12th April 2016

Iceberg, that’s like the ‘I wouldn’t believe it if it wasn’t true, so it must be true.’ argument.

6. Conspiratoor

/  12th April 2016

The lines are blurred. It is possible and highly likely a person is liberal in some respects and conservative in others
    I’m a minarchist so does that make me an L or a C?

/  12th April 2016

I hate it when Lefties steal and misappropriate the word liberal when they are not liberal at all and they hate and fear freedom which is the essence of liberalism.

• @ Alan – I might say the same thing about people who call themselves liberal when they are actually libertarian and/or conservative defenders of the status quo, the current orthodoxy?

@ Conspiratoor – If you are a minarchist you are technically a libertarian I think, not a liberal. A liberal might want government intervention for a perceived ‘common good’ or to protect rights and freedoms?

/  12th April 2016

Your “liberals” want government intervention for everything. Real liberals believe preserving freedoms and protecting life and property is the primary duty of government.

/  13th April 2016

I don’t. At least I don’t think I want government intervention for everything. An all-powerful intrusive coercive state like the USSR or China is an appalling creature. I want a government that legislates only when it needs to for the social good, by consent and with general support, and without damaging the interests of minorities who don’t actually have much “property”.

Interested to read something someone posted yesterday about how the sustained burst of economic development in China happened under Deng Xiaoping and the current president Xi has been assuming a dictatorial range of powers and a more Mao-style personality cult with an increasingly more aggressive international stance. That’s not good. Nobody in New Zealand, whatever their political colours, wants that.

• jamie

/  12th April 2016

It’s fantastic that you took this post as an opportunity to define other people’s views for them Alan.

Well done mate, well done.

/  12th April 2016

If the cap fits, wear it, jamie.

• jamie

Disappointing.

• Gezza.

/  13th April 2016

Well, I thought that all went pretty well considering it could have gone much worse. I think on the political spectrum I might actually be a vegetarian.
            ^^’

• Pickled Possum

/  13th April 2016

Heheheh Gerry that geeza was just doing my head in 🙂
              I am a vegetarian also on the political side dish of the great Hakari-feast.
              Pretty much all went well, with all participants having a rest up today?

/  13th April 2016

If they are having a rest up I needed one yesterday so I understand. This is a great site and I appreciate your viewpoints because while I’m pakeha and think like one I’m from Parihaka country I want to understand better the different completely different perspective from which your people approach issues. It’s not all about historical grievances and Maori wanting to screw over the Pakeha as its their time for it now, is it?

I wish more people would read up on things like this.

That was a viable functioning community that operated successfully and our history there is shameful. I didn’t used to see why I (my Pakeha government negotiators) should have to apologise for the actions of my ancestors when treaty settlements are reached but I understand why Maori do and I now think it’s appropriate. People here defend their property rights voraciously. They are lucky they don’t have this happen to them.

Your views are invaluable and I think you defend them intelligently and respectfully. I wish there were more of you here. Kia kaha e hoa. 🐱