Open Forum – Thursday

14 April 2016

Facebook: NZ politics/media+

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is to encourage you to raise topics that interest you.

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts.

Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts.

Your NZ is a mostly political and social issues blog but not limited to that, and views from anywhere on the political spectrum are welcome. Some basic ground rules:

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.
  • Debate hard if you like but respect people’s right to have varying views and to not be personally be attacked.
  • Don’t say to a stranger online anything you wouldn’t say to their face.

Moderation will be minimal if these guidelines are followed. Should they ever be necessary any moderator edits, deletes or bans will be clearly and openly advised.

1. Corky

/  14th April 2016

It would seem many in the west are hard learners when coming to understand Muslims 101.

Take the Australian 60 Minutes TV Crew doing hard time in Lebanon ( possibly lots more time in future). One of their other crew- Lizzy Hayes- had already had a warm welcome from nice Muslims in Sweden. The tv cameraman had his leg run over. Another member was punched.

So not learning their lesson they troop off to a predominately Muslim country to film a group of Infidels trying to kidnap two kids from their family. The children’s grandmother was allegedly pistol whipped in the blotched raid.

This lack of perception from westerners is costing us our civilisation.

Check out the brave mobility scooter hero in this clip. Our light may be fading, but a flicker still exists.

• Klik Bate

/  14th April 2016

Be afraid. Be very afraid….

/  14th April 2016

YES. NO MORE WELFARE SYSTEM. SHARIA WILL SEE TO THAT. EVEN FOOD VOUCHERS ARE OUT.( for Infidels).

• This lack of perception from westerners is costing us our civilisation.

Civilization itself has a history of barbarity. To be able to cope with the problem you’ve got to first understand it.

/  14th April 2016

Children have two parents. Both have rights. This is not a new situation-whether it’s a grab/kidnap or a rescue/restoration depends upon who’s doing it.

If our civilisation can be so easily destroyed, it’s not worth keeping.

2. From the Press today:

3. Does anyone have a screenshot of Mallard’s tweet yesterday?

Or can anyone tell us the content please???

4. if it’s merely a screen grab of the man’s tweet, how can that do. any harm.

If it’s as bad as people are saying then he should be stood down and investigated.

/  14th April 2016

If he’s been smart enough to work out it was totally stupid thing to do and pull it I’d just let it go. Haven’t we got enough stupid shenanigans going on?

5. Bob

/  14th April 2016

Well what a surprise, NZ First walk out of Parliment in a huff right when the house is going into recess, looks like they are keen to catch the early flights home!

6. I realised I put my posts on Cannabis issues, on yesterdays forum.. OOOPS :/

• Nelly Smickers

No wurries Zedd. Completely understandable 😎

Studies show that the mental functions of people who smoke cannabis tend to be diminished

• Zedd

oh really ?

Which studies.. the same ones that say it causes Mass Insanity, Blood lust & turns ALL users into Heroin Addicts ?? :/ 😀

/  14th April 2016

There seems to be very little substantive real research around on MJ long and short term health effects and conclusions are contradictory. I’ve googled this in the past and one of the studies that keeps coming up and referred to overseas is one done in Dunedin, but there’s not actually very much out there on it IMO. I think there are probably bad effects on brain development, triggering latent schizophrenia etc that are getting glossed over by some and maybe overstated by others.

• @Gezza

I think your comment says it all..
            1) in the 1940-50s there were reports commissioned to PROVE that cannabis (aka ‘marijuana’) is harmful, regardless of the truth.
            2) in the 1960-70s Nixon formed the ‘Shafer Commission’ to do likewise.. they came back & said the opposite & said ‘decrim.’ it. Nixon had the reports burned apparently.. with the next big bust ?
            3) ongoing prohibition has effectively blocked any BALANCED studies into the drug.. in the hysterical zeal to maintain the status quo !

Even today it is still listed in USA as a schedule 1 ‘narcotic’ : most open to abuse & no known medicinal value. There are at least 2 things wrong there.. many recent studies show it relieves the symptoms of several illnesses/conditions: epilepsy, M-S, chemotherapy side effects etc.
            BUT; Cannabis is not actually a ‘narcotic’ which according to the British Medical journal refers spec. to OPIATES.. but has been used generically to refer to all ‘illegal drugs’ in more recent times 😦

/  14th April 2016

Yeah it’s ludicrous to class it as a high risk or even gateway drug. It’s a mild euphoric with no physical addictive properties at all.

• Nelly Smickers

Sorry Zedd, didn’t realise you were up to speed :mrgreen:

/  14th April 2016

I have heard that today’s dope is stronger & more addictive than the dope of my undergraduate days, but can’t see how. It can be addictive, that can’t be denied, but that doesn’t mean that all smokers of dope will become addicted.

The gateway idea has a kernel of truth, but isn’t it like saying that all (or most) alcoholics begin by drinking beer (which I bet they do) so that beer leads to alcoholism ? How many alcoholics begin by drinking spirits ?

• @kck

oh no.. we almost agree again (faint)

(passes smelling salts)

• @ Miss Kitty [& Zedd] – Aside from the view alcoholism is a latent disease, alcoholics begin by drinking alcohol, surely?

How many people who draw a benefit at one time or another become long-term dependents of the state or ‘bludgers’? How many people who commit crime and belong to one particular ethnic group are representative of that whole entire ethnic group? This kind of thinking utterly pervades Western and New Zealand society.

/  14th April 2016

You used to get Bhudda sticks from Thailand or somewhere from the port when I first encountered it. That was strong. I haven’t come across anything much stronger but it’s been years since I last indulged. If there’s any addictive element to it I think it’s probably psychological and the odd toke doesn’t make you an addict. The research on this is so minimal it’s amazing given it’s been such a big issue for decades.

I’m an ex-smoker. I found that almost impossible to stop. The withdrawal effects of coming off tobacco drive me crazy. I still feel like smoking at times and it’s both a physical and psychological craving. I sometimes even have one but I have to be really careful to do very slowly & not smoke a whole cigarette. Tobacco/nicotine is so toxic it rocks me, and I end up dizzy with the sweats and yawning down the great white telephone. I can quickly go back up to a packet every two days though. That’s the difference addiction -wise.

/  14th April 2016

I think popping pills of one sort or another is just as much likely to be a gateway Kitty. Some people just like to experiment with mood enhancing or stimulating drugs. The problem is lovely folk like the gangs corner the market on them all and then establish the supermarket.

/  14th April 2016

I gave up smoking ahem years ago and have never regretted it-I did it by telling myself that I could do it for 24 hours, and as the nearest dairy kept ridiculously short hours, it would have been totally humiliating to have had to go quite a long way to wherever the next place was because I needed a cigarette that badly. You can go without anything for 24 hours. Then the 24 hours becomes a week, a month, a year…the last time I tried a cigarette, it tasted disgusting-remember how horrible the first ever one was ? It was like that.

The ones that I missed were those like the first one in the morning with a coffee-or relaxing in a bath with a book and a packet of smokes.

I loathe the smell of it now-smokers’ clothes, smokers’ breath…but even now, I occasionally remember that first draw when I lit up when I someone doing it-it’s a physical memory that will probably never leave me.

7. Further to a written Constitution for New Zealand, add to the growing list of previous investigations the 2005 Constitutional Arrangements Committe chaired by Peter Dunne –

http://www.parliament.nz/en-nz/pb/sc/documents/reports/47DBSCH_SCR3229_1/inquiry-to-review-new-zealands-existing-constitutional – where the pdf report is available

and the converge.org.nz viewpoint – http://www.converge.org.nz/pma/conrev1.htm

8. Kitty Catkin

/  14th April 2016

Has anyone else been sent an email that invites them to invest in CNN stock and ‘make money’ ? I have-how kind of someone to send a stranger that-but while I do believe that it will make money, my nasty, suspicious mind tells me that the money will be made from me, not by me.

9. @NS

no I dont use ‘speed’ either 🙂

/  14th April 2016

I suppose that enough mugs believe that some kind stranger wants them to make money with this particular stock to make it worthwhile, but I don’t-if I was onto a sure and certain thing, I’d be investing in it myself, not telling all and sundry about it. Nobody’s that generous.

10. Kitty Catkin

/  14th April 2016

The UBI is being promoted in the UK. Needless to say that the ones who want it have simplistic ideas about where the money’s coming from, as they did here. One idea-employers will put up wages as a result. Highly likely, I’m sure. The only thing that hasn’t been suggested is to plant money trees.

/  14th April 2016

Only thing is, it loses its leaves in financial storms and every Autumn & it often produces lemons.