Dotcom not John Doe

I didn’t think the John Doe who claims to have hacked the Panama papers would be Kim Dotcom, but it seems that some do. It’s certainly being talked about.

Both & are speculating this morning that “John Doe” may be . Interesting theory. would know.

Theories have been circulating suggesting the mysterious figure behind the Panama Papers leaks may in fact be the NZ-based internet entrepreneur. The Spiniff begins its fearless mission to unmask John Doe by asking, is it you, Kim Dotcom?

Rare is the day when the two most voluble and entertaining thought leaders of the New Zealand blogosphere agree, but so it is on the matter of the identity of the Panama Papers’ “John Doe”, the name adopted by the person behind the massive information leak.

Both Cameron ‘Whaleoil’ Slater and Martyn ‘Daily Blog’ Bradbury – along with various other novice online sleuths – have been speculating that John Doe is Kim Dotcom, the Mega-founder being sought for extradition from New Zealand by the US Justice Department.

But Bradbury responded that “I’m not speculating it is Kim” but ” oh I certainly believe it’s political”. The last two sentences Hooton referred to :

I wonder who had the skills to hack and desire for vengeance against Key?

I’ve always believed that vengeance is a dish best served 18months into the election cycle.

That’s quite vague. Incidentally Bradbury does seem to think that this could, at last, be what what triggers the revolution (John Doe had saiD that the next revolution would be digital):

This week is looking very difficult for John Key and his right wing rich mates. Mass surveillance lies didn’t wake sleepy hobbits up. Dirty Politics didn’t wake sleepy hobbits up. Looks like Key building Tax Havens and getting caught might just wake them up.

He might be right one day, but his accuracy average won’t be flash.

Meanwhile Slater didn’t actually come out and say it was Dotcom but he did all but. He posted a ‘comment of the day’ and bolded these words.

illegally hacked

paymaster
German

It’s a whole lot easier for the hacker, the paymaster and the intermediaries to be close so what is discovered can be discussed and assimilated.

“John Doe” appears to have a better knowledge of NZ politics than a lot of kiwis

Am I joining the dots or do I just need to loosen the tinfoil ?

Slater accusing Dotcom is nothing new. He might be right once too and might actually front up with evidence to prove it. But then he posted:

I suspect Key will have second thoughts about cutting me adrift and feeding me to the wolves at the same time as doing absolutely nothing to try and identify the criminal hackers, the complicit media working with criminals, and the people in the Labour Party that are funding, facilitating and abusing the fruits of crime.

Sorry to say, I don’t have a lot of sympathy for Key over this.  He threw me under the bus.  He threw Ede under the bus.  He’s thrown Whitney under the bus.  None of us broke the law.

Key threw Slater and Ede under a bus? Or did he just distance himself from a train wreck?

Nevertheless it sounds like Slater has more on his mind than who John Doe is. His comment is full of irony, self-sorriness, and some trepidation.

Oh, and Manhire asked Dotcom if he was the Panamanian John Doe and Dotcom denied it, saying “I’m not John Doe, Satoshi Nakamoto or Rawshark.” Of course he doesn’t have to be them.

Conclusion: I’m suspicious of Manhire trying to deflect attention onto everyone but him. I don’t think he is John Doe either but which journalist writes about Slater and Bradbury these days. And in the same post!

/  8th May 2016

It’s ridiculous to believe Dotcom would hack a Panama lawyer in order to create a hit on Key. It’s not ridiculous to believe that Hager would convert anything he is involved in into a hit on Key. The is an opportunistic hit, not a pre-planned one.

• David

/  8th May 2016

I’m guessing he’s spent the last year trying to hammer what little he has got into a narrative that somehow gets close to Key.

/  8th May 2016

Yes, little doubt that was his agenda.

/  9th May 2016

If it was Dotcom he probably would’ve called himself Johannes Damhirschkuh to throw everybody off the scent …

• Kevin

/  9th May 2016

Dotcom doesn’t have the skills to do the hack.

It’s not beyond the realms of possibility in my opinion to say that Dotcom has been paying Hager to investigate the hack and dig up dirt.

/  9th May 2016

THAT is credible ! I don’t know if he has the skills to be John Dough, but suspect that he wouldn’t have the gut. Er, guts.

2. duperez

/  8th May 2016

I’m slowly learning about having credibility. I mean Matthew Hooton and WhaleOil speculate about something and they have credibility enough for what they say for it to be put up as possibly credible.
    If I say that they both posture and postulate with sinister purpose enough for me to speculate that it is incredble that they are given any credibility am I to be accorded credibility.?

/  8th May 2016

Speculating John Doe is Kim has no credibility with me whoever does it.

Speculating Hooten, Slater, Bradbury and Manhire share a common sinister political purpose also has no credibility with me whoever does it.

• Pantsdownbrown

/  8th May 2016

Well not Dotcom personally Alan – but he would know plenty of hackers capable of doing the deed…..he may not have even ordered it to be done but through his hacking networks was able to ascertain and contact whoever did.

/  8th May 2016

My point again is that it is completely ridiculous to commission a hack on a Panama lawyer in order to attack John Key. As for post event contacting the hacker it seems one heck of a lot easier for Hager to have done that than Dotcom.

/  9th May 2016

Yes, that does stretch one’s credulity a leetle too far.

3. Ray

/  8th May 2016

Dotcom has plenty of problems without setting the Worlds rich tax evaders on his tail
    Interesting that so far the US has not been involved

• Pantsdownbrown

/  8th May 2016

Yes – which would suggest it isn’t Dotcom considering his beef with them……..

/  9th May 2016

Unless that’s what he means people to think….

Tax avoidance is NOT tax evasion. One is legal, one isn’t.

/  10th May 2016

‘In the US, tax evasion could not be fixed, the source argued, while politicians relied on the super-rich for campaign funding’

/  9th May 2016

His stockpile of pitchforks, scarves, knitting gear, guillotines and tumbrils has been gathering dust & physically deteriorating for so long now they’re no longer even saleable, so he’s gonna be shit out of luck cashing in when the revolution finally does come. 😎

5. Brown

/  9th May 2016

When ever the hackers name gets revealed (and I hope it does because I don’t much like hackers or leftie activists) he / she will be more nervous than a Christian in Syria.

6. Zedd

I think Mr. Doe is Santa Claus ! 😀

/  9th May 2016

You had another whole bloody spliff last night didn’t you Zedd? Two tokes mate. That should be enough for a good sleep and still keep it real the next morning e hoa.

• Zedd

@gezza
        I only drank beer last evening 🙂 😀

btw; cool viking avatar.. like it 🙂

/  9th May 2016

He’s Rangi, my celtic warrior. And he reckons you should switch to mid (mead) Zedd.

/  9th May 2016

I sat up late the night before my wedding with two monks, one of whom helped with some little last-minute touches to my wedding dress, and we all drank mead.

Now the groom, one of the monks and one of the groomsmen are dead before their time. Only one of the three clergy is still alive.

/  9th May 2016

Please don’t tell me next he’s the one who had only a half-glass of mead … 😕 …

/  9th May 2016

No 😀 But the one who helped with the dress came out later and set up home with the postman. Alas, he died too young, also. No, not of THAT.

• Zedd

/  9th May 2016

“… he knows if you’ve been BAD or good.. so be good, for goodness sake…” ho ho ho.. hum 😀