Empathy in electorate offices

This sort of arrogant ‘Labour good, National bad’ claim continues to repel common sense people from Labour.

Te Reo Putake

It’s important to remember that local MP’s have a job to do in their communities and if you want an empathetic hearing in your local electorate office, that’ll only come from a Labour MP.

Or, if you live in the north, from your NZF MP, who I’m told has revitalised the electorate offices up there.

This not only disses David Seymour, Peter Dunne and Te Ururoa Flavell, it could be seen as a swipe at any Green ambitions of going for electorate seats

This was commenting on his own post Stick a Fork in Him, He’s Dunne in which he said:

The biggest loser is obviously Peter Dunne who is going to be an ex MP if the Green Party don’t stand a candidate in Ohariu.

…long time reliable sycophant Peter Dunne twist in the wind.

Dunne’s history is one of disloyalty and self serving behaviour.

If Labour need to talk to Dunne to get the last seat needed to form a coalition this sort of long standing abuse won’t help their case.

So how rattled is National? I reckon they’re shitting bricks myself. Not just because they are going to lose the ever reliable doormat Dunne, but because there’s every chance the Maori party will cease to be as well.

That’s not because of the Greens/Labour pact, but because interwebs/mana are no longer a credible party. Annette Sykes may well stand again in Wairiki, but she won’t get 5000 votes this time around and Te Ururoa  Flavell’s majority will suffer as a result.

No Flavell, no maori Tories.

Another coalition option burnt off. Do Labour Greens really think they won’t need anyone else?

And what’s to say the Greens won’t get the same treatment if Labour only need them and they are desperate – will Labour through them a few crumbs? It would be more than they’ve done before I suppose.

But back to “if you want an empathetic hearing in your local electorate office, that’ll only come from a Labour MP”.

On Paul Henry this morning  – Greens-Labour deal ‘nothing new’ – King – Nikki Kay said:

…as the MP for Auckland Central through my electorate office I’ve done quite a lot in terms of people being homeless in central Auckland.

I’ve gone down and visited Wynard Quarter people who have been in sort of caravans and things down there and it’s really complex, people have many different situations.

…I’ve literally had people in my office and they’ve said for various reasons that’s where they want to be. And sometimes there might be mental health issues, sometimes there might be a range of other reasons why the temporarily want to be somewhere.

Not good enough for TRP.

On that same Paul Henry segment Annette King also dissed ‘bland Peter Dunne”.

She’s deputy to Andrew Little. In contrast they must be as colourful as cooked cabbage who think they only need some Greens to go with them.

On the same Standard thread Colonial Viper:

Dunne ain’t ever supporting a Labour coalition government again. Not after the vitriol Labour has poured on Dunne for years now.

As if they can afford to be that selective. They seem to have thought dumping on Dunne and getting him out of parliament by any means was a pathway to power.

What does Dunne think about it?

Now has jumped on the bandwagon. She says is “bland”. Time to prove us wrong Peter.

Ha! Hardly worth replying to a wet bus ticket slap from someone of so little substance or consequence

I think it’s time hung up his bow tie..Your now just an angry little man with pretty good hair

TRP is not stupid, he knows that you can burn off all sorts of potentially useful people and the voters will still think you deserve to be in power on your own. So much empathy.

Or something.

Arrogance of fools.

/  3rd June 2016

Most electorate MPs say one of the most rewarding parts of their job is helping constituents. The comments in the Standard just show how abysmally ignorant of real politics these political wannabees are, and how unconcerned they are with the truth of what they are pontificating about.

• jamie

/  3rd June 2016

I agree Alan. I’m sure most MPs endeavour to help constituents whenever possible, if not for totally altruistic reasons then at least they must at least be aware that everyone they deal with can vote for or against them keeping their job.

/  3rd June 2016

Of course, jamie. And word of mouth is by far the best reference. Every business should know that helping a customer fix a problem is the best and most cost-effective marketing you can have. Politics is no different.

• jamie

/  3rd June 2016

And I’m sure the business maxim about unhappy customers telling many more people than happy ones also applies to MPs.

• David

/  3rd June 2016

I think the word is conceit.

/  3rd June 2016

Nikki Kaye: “…I’ve done quite a lot in terms of people being homeless in central Auckland.”

I see what you mean.

/  3rd June 2016

just as seriously though, they really are being stupid. I believe he’s a very good electorate MP. He takes care of the little stuff. I got a personally signed condolence letter from him when my wife died & I didn’t even vote for the man. I don’t know how common that is with other electorate MPs?

Electorate MP’s commonly see the plebs, or let their office staff see them and get details, and write off letters to Ministers on their behalves. Things probably haven’t changed much since I left the PS so those letters probably still end up getting draft replies prepared by departmental staffers would hold the policy line of the relevant Minister’s department, and, with maybe a few notable exceptions, Ministers have to be careful whether and how they might exercise any Ministerial discretions they may have in favour of the MP’s supplicant.

My experience was that writing to your MP if you were getting exasperated by a department, whichever party the MP belonged to, was worth doing, because on the whole Ministers receiving letters about deserving cases would generally be fair & impartial in how & whether they exercised any Ministerial discretion or bollocked the department in deserving cases, irrespective of the party of the MP.

/  3rd June 2016

Paul was a bit obvious about leaning a bit heavily on Nikki’s side in that interview with her & Annette.

I love the way he does that snorting thing in the back of his nasal passage when he giggles. Does he remind anybody else here of a chipmunk?

Whaddya reckon?

• jamie

/  3rd June 2016

I don’t see the resemblance but I have heard he likes nuts in his mouth.

/  3rd June 2016

I didn’t know how to add the black plastic framed glasses. When can visualise them on the resemblance is clearer jamie.

/  4th June 2016

precious pup…Hilary used to mimic him.

/  4th June 2016

Ya gotta give him some credit Blazer. There aren’t many that can giggle themselves into the sort of money he’s on.

/  4th June 2016

I am actually getting to at least tolerate him.He can laugh at himself,something Hosking can’t.My understanding is he is very wealthy regardless.

/  4th June 2016

Yep, he is wealthy anyway. Did you see him say he’s going to spend the weekend on his boat, & invite Annette to join him if she wanted?

I’ve said before the thing about Henners is he knows when he’s being a dick & it’s part of his act, whereas Hoskings doesn’t know when he’s being a dick & its no act.

5. PDB

/  3rd June 2016

PG: “TRP is not stupid” – Um………..yes he is…….proves it every time he posts.

• PDB

/  3rd June 2016

Only an idiot thinks that you are only an effective electorate MP if you are from a certain political party.

• They have very little to hold on to at present, so it’s best to let them have their little fantasies.

/  3rd June 2016

That’s such a stupid remark that it will be an embarrassment to Labour supporters-I hope.I would find it so if National or Act said it.

/  3rd June 2016

Good on you, Arty. Better the Left have false hope than slide into mental illness.

• jamie

/  3rd June 2016

I agree with Pete actually PDB. TRP is more dishonest than stupid.

• PDB

/  4th June 2016

You may be right – though it’s a close run thing……..

6. I so want some change in Govt, but like most, am exasperated at the alternatives, Greens are actually doing a better job than labour, and are held back more by past perceptions and bias than current performance.

7. Kevin

/  3rd June 2016

“Do Labour Greens really think they won’t need anyone else?”

Yes. Yes they do.

“@PeterDunneMP
    I happen to be one of calmest & relaxed people you could meet – I just have an intolerance of idiocy and stupidity”

Heh. He should volunteer as a TS moderator.

• As a constituent of Dunnes, I look forward to seeing him depart. He has caused a huge amount of long term harm to NZ due to his intransigence on changing the RMA, and his inability to understand the difference between medical palliative use of cannabinoids and recreational use of cannabis.