Duff versus Harawira

In a Herald column Alan Duff writes that Maoridom needs Hone Harawira back in politics like a hole in a waka (he said head but I like waka in it’s place).

The bone-headed fighter? No thanks

Oh dear. Maoridom needs Hone Harawira back in politics like the proverbial hole in the head. He couldn’t get on with the Maori Party, founded the Mana Party, had a bromance with the gifted but flawed German, Kim Dotcom. And when the admirable Kelvin Davis thrashed him in the last election, who does he turn on? Dotcom. But of course others, too.

A man with a hero-complex is not what Maoridom needs. They – our people – do not need someone pandering to our lowest common denominator, telling them their failures are not their fault but the fault of rich white people, greedy capitalists, a stacked system, government, all on the assumption these people are incapable of helping themselves.

Not once have we heard offered a solution to “poor” people’s woes, to “poverty.” He came up with no ideas on creating employment. Nor use of Northland Maori land.

No ideas on instilling an education ethos in the outlook of the very culture of those he claims to be fighting for. His ideas were and still are zilch.

He hasn’t demonstrated by a single gesture that maybe he should take a less hardline stance. Oh, no. Not Hone. He’s the self-described “fighter.” Whoopee, that’s gonna put a lot of Maori into their own homes and give them jobs, lift us up to the educated, aspiring middle class, a scrapper representing us.

Duff continues to pile into Harawira, then continues:

The last thing we need are bloody bone-headed fighters. Sure, genetically, we’ve all got the warrior in us. But for God’s sake know when to apply it and certainly not to advancing the Maori race.

We need our woman elevated to absolutely equal status. Not this outdated model of assigning women seats behind the front row because – yeah, sure – they need the males to protect them. Yes, women do need protecting – from too many of our Maori males. Too many of our kids need protecting from adult Maori males.

That’s a valid point but is on a much wider Maori issue than Harawira.

Maoridom doesn’t need tough-guy rhetoric, or protest for its own sake, a ceaseless outpour of negativity and blame-laying. In case you’re not aware, Hone, we’ve long used role models at our schools to give positive messages like: “It’s cool to read. It’s cool to aspire.” That’s all. Pretty simple, isn’t it?

Not for Hone. He wants to make it a scrap, a brawl, a war of insults and sarcasm. The man who thought Helen Clark getting “the bash” when she was mobbed by protesters at Te Tii Marae was not so bad.

Protest is useful if used wisely and sparingly – it’s important to pick fights that can be won rather than be a perpetual scrapper.

We knew he’d be back because he loves a scrap and loves being a heroic warrior figure.

He could try sitting down with people who are reasonable and come up with solutions to end Maori poverty and all our other problems.

This half-Maori columnist certainly believes Maori have a bright future, if only we could shut down the negative messages.

Or at least get the positive and constructive messages out there louder and more often so there is more prominence than the victim movement.

Not surprisngly the Bradbury promotion is giving Harawira an airing – Exclusive to Waatea 5th Estate 7pm tonight – Hone Harawira & Marama Fox

/  22nd June 2016

Bomber’s Bouncearound will be worth a watch, or at least a listen. Cheers PG.

Duff gets it right again. Te Tai Tokerau must be chocker with resources & opportunities. Where the heck are the people who know how to find & utilise them to the benefit of all its population, and why aren’t they doing it?

/  22nd June 2016

Bright kids have dud role models and resources are all roped off by tribal and bureaucratic hierarchies that have absolutely no interest in or tolerance for change but a huge vested interest in the status quo. Add drugs and alcohol to stupefy the masses and pakeha to take the blame.

I can’t imagine. :-/

I know that ordinary Joe Tainui hasn’t had a brass farthing from the settlement. A Tainui friend told them, more or less, where they could put their university scholarship when he heard how much it was-an insulting amount.

/  22nd June 2016

Gezza-you’re doing what you accused me of doing !!!

A Tainui man to whom I was talking said that his daughter worked out in the time that they’d kept her hanging around to find out the generous amount that she would be given, she could have earned more and not had a boring time sitting around waiting to be told what a piddling amount she was going to get. We agreed that had her surname been (ahem) or (ahem again) or (ditto) , it would have been a different story.

/  22nd June 2016

Gezza-you’re doing what you accused me of doing !!!

I made no claim to sainthood. We are all sinners dear. And, as with bj, in this case a PhD-holder from that area, who is excellent at observation and analysis, provided relevant information and got an uptick from me for it.

/  22nd June 2016

You are very quick to accuse me of imagined sins and then do what you accused me of doing-when I wasn’t doing it at all.

2. Kitty Catkin

/  22nd June 2016

A hole in a waka is a wonderful image. It’s much more powerful than the old hole in the head cliche.It evokes people paddling away to no avail. It’s as good as Alan Duff’s own ‘all hui and no do-ey.’ The only problem with that one is that it can only be used in NZ. 🙂

/  22nd June 2016

I can’t even begin to think why three sad sacks downvoted that. Spite because it was I who said it ? How childish.

• And we could all sing “There’s a hole in the Waka dear Hone Dear Hone theres a hole! Then Fixit says Hone, dear Hone. With what shall I fix it …etc

3. PDB

/  22nd June 2016

Annette King was scathing of Hone today on the radio………even if Hone did return to parliament he’d have no friends in which to advance any of his causes, except his personal one of living off the taxpayer.

/  22nd June 2016

His smart-arse smirk does him no favours-nobody likes a smart-arse. I had a pupil like that, a most objectionable boy who was disliked by everyone, as far as I remember, because of this attitude.. He seems to have had the sense to realise that in the big wide world this doesn’t go down well and has changed his ways, unlike dear Hone and his chum Herr Dotcom. Well done, H———-, you had the nous to work out that being a smart alec does not win friends and influence people. Hone would do well to learn this.

• PDB

/  22nd June 2016

From his inactive twitter account: “Hone draws his inspiration from people like Muhammad Ali, Syd Jackson, Nelson Mandela, Maori Marsden, his mum and his wife Hilda”.

Hone has more in common with Tom Metzger than Nelson Mandela.

/  22nd June 2016

hey you draw inspiration from…Len Brown!

/  22nd June 2016

I love the way your ellipses set whoever you’re replying to up for the…punch, B.

/  22nd June 2016

I can’t imagine Nelson Mandela being very flattered by this.

nobody likes a smart-arse
        I quite like some smart-arses. It depends how smart & how much of an arse they are.

/  22nd June 2016

I can’t think of any whom I like. Being a conceited show-off isn’t something I admire. Johnny Depp comes across as a smart-arse par excellence. Having one in a classroom is a pain IN the arse. That superior smirk is unbelievably annoying. I can’t understand why nobody’s ever landed P(at)rick Gower one across his smirking, nyah nyah face. I will always regret that when I had the chance to make him fall off a chair on live television I refrained from doing so. Why ? I will if I have the chance again.

/  22nd June 2016

Garn, do it. Something different to see and read about in the media than just political bollocks & Naz, & Kim Kardashian’s buttocks.

/  22nd June 2016

I wouldn’t have seen it, of course, but it would have been worth it. It would have been worth it whether it went out or not. They were spongy chairs, not wooden ones so he was wobbling a bit at first….what a wasted chance.

4. Pete Kane

/  22nd June 2016

Tell Alan to pay his own bills. Can one bill the Herald?

Que, amigo? o_O

• Pete Kane

/  22nd June 2016

one time darling of the ACT Party. Wonder if a couple of well known contributors (of that faith) here at YNZ, might like, now, to contribute (tangibly).

/  22nd June 2016

Dreadfully embarrassing. 2011. Wonder if he’s solvent now?
          Just as well it hasn’t stopped him from publishing wise words that need to be said.

/  22nd June 2016

hope he gets paid for them…3.6mil is a chunk of change.

/  22nd June 2016

Certainly is. Poor Teina Pora did 21 years in the pokey for less, and that was for telling stories too.

/  22nd June 2016

I gather it was another GFC property development crash?

Not sure why you think that was an ACT party responsibility, Peter. Is that to be a general policy that political parties are responsible for all their supporters’ debts or does it only apply to ACT?

• Pete Kane

/  22nd June 2016

Isn’t responsibility, well, responsibility, Doctor?

/  22nd June 2016

Yes, so why on earth is your responsibility my responsibility?

/  22nd June 2016

As he’s been out of the country for many years, he won’t be voting for ACT or anyone else, I imagine. As an ACT member since the party began, I don’t ever remember him being the ‘party darling’ or even hearing about him as a member, but I don’t know all of them so can’t say that he wasn’t one. I can’t see why any party should be legally or morally responsible for the debts of former or current members. Don’t I wish !

I don’t know if I am ‘one of the well-known contributors of that faith’, but, alas, I am not well-known. Nor am I one of the party’s big contributors, I am not in a position to be-and I won’t be giving Alan Duff anything,

5. Pete Kane

$$$$$$ Please!

How much do you need?

• Pete Kane

/  22nd June 2016

Um, need to speak with my advisor, Donald. (Given up on the other one, but still annoys.)

/  22nd June 2016

The Donald? Think he’s more likely to hit you up for money Pete, & his advice would probably be to rent his surname.

• Pete Kane

/  22nd June 2016

(The other one – Accounts Alan.)

All right, Pete.$$$$$$. 😀

6. Oh dear Alan Duff. How can you say such a thing about Hone the saint from the far North? I’m personally gutted – I hope this doesn’t impede the return of the Mana Movement to our political scene. No circus is complete with out a clown like Hone…