Brexit Towers

A cartoon from Warren Brown at Britain’s Daily Telegraph:

BrexitTowers

David Cameron has slapped himself, and Jeremy Corbyn appears to be in for a slapping from the Labour Party.

Time will tell whether slapping Europe will end up being self flagellation or not.

Chappatte (International New York Times):

BrexitChappate

That doesn’t show the Irish who want to amalgamate and separate, but the Scottish are seriously considering another look at splitting (a majority of Scots voted to stay with the EU).

BBC: Scotland independence vote ‘highly likely’

Scotland’s first minister says a second independence referendum is “highly likely” after the UK voted to leave the EU.

And from The result in maps and charts

The Remain campaign dominated in London, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

In contrast Wales strongly supported leaving the EU but I don’t know if they want to leave the United Queendom.

1. Missy

/  25th June 2016

Sturgeon appears to be already doing some backtracking, she was initially saying it had to happen within a few months, not it is before the UK exit – so 2+ years.

I think she was trying to bully and scare the rest of the UK into voting Remain, however, it didn’t work, but she has to save face and still try for a Referendum, but I think this is not going to come about. I could be wrong of course, I thought the Brits would bottle it and vote Remain.

• One thing in New Zealand’s favour is that we are nowhere near as reliant on the UK for trade as in the old days and our diversity will help us weather any financial reactions over there.

• Missy

/  25th June 2016

True. Though to be honest the financial fall out today hasn’t been as bad as reported, for starters the pound is increasing again, and while still closing low, it did gain. The FTSE closed stronger than the other european markets, and still didn’t drop as low as it has been.

in fact one guy tweeted today something along the lines of ‘the FTSE lowest it has been since… last week’, which shows that there really won’t be the long term impact many were thinking there would be.

/  25th June 2016

The Scots are British. Give them time. They just need time.

• Missy

/  25th June 2016

Sturgeon doesn’t have a majority, so I am not sure she will even be able to get a referendum passed in Scottish Parliament. She is a bully, and all mouth, she very rarely has carried through on her threats.

• The Scottish Greens are pro having a referendum though and SNP plus the greens have a majority in Holyrood. Its more a question of whether the leadership feel they can win it , if they lost a second independence referendum they would probably collapse in a heap !

• spanish_tudor

/  25th June 2016

The Scots are mendicants, those bludgers will take welfare over national pride every time.

/  25th June 2016

a terrible generalisation of a people that have made huge contributions to the development of civilisation.

/  25th June 2016

The British army would’ve been nothing without the Scots.

/  25th June 2016

They were nearly nothing in battles WITH them.

/  25th June 2016

Aye lassie, thae sassenachs ware eeasy tae kull wen wi ha’ thae noombers.

/  25th June 2016

I have Winnie the Pooh translated into Scots-and it’s the real thing, not cod-Scots. It was a wonderfu’ find at one o’ yon book fairs. Crivens ! Piglet is Wee Grumphie, Owl is Hoolet, 100 Acre Wood is 100 Aker Widd, Heehaw’s Dreich Place is Awfie Boggy and Sad….

I also have it in Latin (Winnie Ille Pu)

3. Blazer

/  25th June 2016

A snowball effect hopefully…i.e sovereignty and independent policy that will see off TTIP,the TTPA and counter insisidious globalisation for the benefit of corporations.

• Missy

/  25th June 2016

Well they are speculating on who is next…

Nexit? Dexit? Czexit? Swexit? Frexit? The bets are on. Reportedly there is already pressure being put on the Danish Government to hold a Referendum.

/  25th June 2016

If they did would that be Datsit?

• Missy

Dexit (Denmark Exit)

• Missy

/  25th June 2016

Though it doesn’t quite have the same ring as Brexit – or Grexit.

/  25th June 2016

Soz. I meant, if they left, that’d be: dat’s it. 😎

• Missy

/  26th June 2016

DOH! I am a little slow at the moment, must be the come down after the intenseness of the EU Referendum (and excitement of witnessing history). I imagine it is how a drug addict feels coming off a high…

• Nelly Smickers

/  25th June 2016

I know there’s probaly the *odd person* here that might think Wayne’s a bit of a dork, but as soon as the result was known yesterday, he texted me this…..

After Brexit;
          Departugal
          Grexit
          Italeave
          Oustria
          Finish
          Latervia
          Byegium
          etc etc….

Ya’ gotta luv him really, ‘eh? ❤ XD

/  25th June 2016

But your loyalty is touching.

Bulgoodbye
            Slotogobuteventuallyleftvakia
            S’painstayingsoweregone
            Czechcashedandoff
            Sweetoutahereden

• Iceberg

/  25th June 2016

Yeah, we should become independent. Maybe we could start with taking the Union Jack off the flag?

/  25th June 2016

That would be ok with me. There were designs with just the four stars on blue background that looked great to me. Instead we got served up something better used as a tea towel, a sarong or a tablecloth.

4. PDB

/  25th June 2016

PG: “In contrast Wales strongly supported leaving the EU but I don’t know if they want to leave the United Queendom”.

The Welsh are dirt poor and won’t be voting to leave the UK.

5. Zedd

/  25th June 2016

I hear Frexit & Nexit are next (France & Netherlands) ?

I’m sure King Edward (the long shanks) will be turning in his grave.. UK could break apart, with Scotland & Ireland (inc. Ulster) rejoining EU ??

interesting times.. btw; The Book of Daniel apparently says: the ‘divided Roman Empire’ will not ‘cleave’ (cling) one to another; will further break apart over time :/

/  25th June 2016

The Roman Empire did not exist at the time of Daniel.

• Zedd

@gezza

no; but the land did.. in Daniel it is referred to In Nebucadnezzer’s dream as ‘the legs of Iron’.. a ‘coming empire’ that was associated with Iron. The Legs were just the first division.. the toes of iron & Clay apparently represent the EU ? :/

all good discussion.. 🙂

/  25th June 2016

Bible “prophecies” can be interpreted to mean anything. Even back then armies fought and empires rose and fell—nothing to see here. The end of the world has been due next year ever since the time JC suddenly disappeared from the moonshine band he started.

• The book of job definitely predicted the advent of Sky tv and the rise of mike hosking ….just let me find the reference ….

/  25th June 2016

Never mind, it was probably all the terrible things that happened to Job-I know the part you mean, I think.

• Nebuchadnezzar’s dream represented the historical progression of his kingdom. The legs of iron represented the eastern and western Roman empires, the feet of iron and clay represented the introduction of a a culture which did not integrate with the pre-existent civil system of the empire.

How do you know that ?

/  25th June 2016

I know people who have interpreted all sorts of things from the letters* in Revelation which contain a secret code. I have long forgotten how it went and what it said, but as it wasn’t written in English, there would seem to be one tiny flaw in this reasoning. Well, as I remember it, there were many, but the writer not writing it in English was the main one.

* abc, not ‘Dear John’.

/  25th June 2016

It’s an oddity that cleave means both cling or adhere to and the opposite, more or less-to split, as one does with a cleaver.

/  25th June 2016

There’s a word for that I believe—can’t remember it at the moment—where over time a word acquires the opposite meaning to its original use. Words change meaning over time. Don’t know enough other language history to know if that applies to other languages but it certainly applies to English. You can see it happening with US & UK English all the time.

/  25th June 2016

same as cleavage…I guess!

/  25th June 2016

Yes, but cleave and cleave mean more or less the opposite now, although not quite-it’s the same word used to mean the two things. It’s not like awful, artificial and grotesque which are never used in the orginal way. Scat has two meanings, but it doesn’t mean both clear off and come here. I can’t think of another word offhand that are antonyms.

/  25th June 2016

Clicked too soon. I meant that can be an antonym of itself. Oh, to be able to edit.

As English has borrowed so much from other languages, that can be an explanation for one word having several unrelated meanings,.

/  25th June 2016

The Latin ‘Malo malo malo malo’ means ‘I’d rather be in a ship at sea than a naughty boy in an apple tree.’

I am not making this up.

And ‘in mari meri miri mori muri placet’. 😀

/  25th June 2016

It pleased the mouse to die in a sea of wonderful wine.

You looked it up 😀

What about this one ?

In auta spes
              Nomen cantari
              Tu starata scena
              Fabulus buti.

Or this (seen on a park bench)

Ventosa viri restabit. Fortis arare placet orestin.

You looked it up 😀
              I had to. You never provided he whakapākehā.

My favourite.

Todavi argona C. Julius Caesar
              Caesar cari dona miitari orgi versus Belgae,
              Brittannii, Alemannii, Aquitannii, Helvettii-iunemit.
              ‘Romas glorias.’ sed Caesar. ‘Nomen me impunit.’
              Meni traedit-Vercingetorix fore instans-
              Caesar noctem sili fors tican iis nec aut.
              Abludi nervi Gaius Caesar, iubet.

NB-these require a bit of lateral thinking.

/  25th June 2016

It would have spoiled it had I translated it.

How about the others ? 😀 😀 😀

/  25th June 2016

No, they require a translation. I abandoned Latin after one year on the grounds the Romans spoke backwards, could only count in I’s V’s, X’s C’s & M’s, and the teacher was an arse who reciprocated my sentiments.

/  25th June 2016

Read them aloud and you may not need a translation. Remember that V is pron. W and ae is pron. i (well, as near that as anyone who’s not a Classist need to go)

I once did a multiplication equation in Roman numerals to prove something to myself-I can’t remember what.

? Backwards spoke Romans the mean, you do what

/  25th June 2016

“Todavi argona C. Julius Caesar… etc.”

A, Ae C—VG. 😎

3x- = —.

/  25th June 2016

How I envy the wit who wrote it.

6. The Scots want out? Really and who is going to pay their bills for them? France is the natural ally as those two always ganged up on the English in times gone by.

If they want to go I would happily let them go if I was an Englishman born and bred. then I would put in place a hard passport restriction and ask all the Scots living and working in England to go home.

Frankly right now there is lots of hysteria about a position which will turn quiet and conciliatory once smart people have thought it through. UK and EU need each others economies to stay buoyant. The EU do anything to slow economic activity in the rump EU by way of “punishing” the UK and watch the far right spike in support as unemployment starts to ratchet up again…. and that is a bigger fear for the Socialists in Brussels than anything else apart from losing their pay packet, perks and mistresses

/  25th June 2016

Scotland + France are now ancient history. The Scots won’t leave. They may make a lot of noise but they’ll work it out somehow. That’s my bet. Jean-Claude Juncker is behaving like a total dork. And re the EU, you are right.

• Aye I agree the SNP will make noise, but if they called a referendum and lost a second time it would be the start of decline for them – and like all pollies they love POWER.

Juncker is a dick. He will backtrack quickly enough when the reality of diminishing power and the spectre of rising of Nationalist parties hits home…

/  25th June 2016

Oh, good, I can have a British passport again.

/  25th June 2016

Agreed. Seriously Dave, I think HM QE II has a role to play here and I expect she will play it. She’s a dual sovereign, and I don’t think she was asking visitors to the palace for 3 good reasons for leaving the EU for nothing. I think she may have been preparing herself for a massively important job.

/  26th June 2016

Small correction. HMQEII was asking dinner guests for 3 good reasons why Britain should remain in the EU.

/  25th June 2016

I was surprised that Mary, Queen of Scots, grew up speaking Scots, not English which was very much a 2nd language (or 3rd, but her French was excellent) So her mother must have learned Scots-I’ve just thought of that.

/  25th June 2016

I think Scotland had better ask the EU if it is willing to take it on (and pay for it) without England’s 10 billion pound annual contribution.

8. Blazer

/  25th June 2016

Uptick from me. I don’t agree with him about capitalism, but I do agree with him about financial capitalism.

9. Pete Kane

/  25th June 2016

Snap was about to post this. Great work Blazer – and a great result overall, I think.

• Pete Kane

/  25th June 2016

Second thoughts, I think this is a second part Mr Blazer?

10. Pete Kane

/  25th June 2016

And this is the one that really resonated with me.

/  25th June 2016

Speaking of backtracks, here is Germany reeling in a few EU political oafs that think they can give the UK a hard time: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/germany-warns-against-eu-revenge-following-uk-brexit-vote/

Wait for Obama to do the same on his “back of the queue” threat. As soon as the UK makes a few counter threats that will be history too. And more election fodder for Trump.

• Pete Kane

/  25th June 2016

Hillary may pay a little price here for Barrack’s misjudgement in all this. (Pre sorry for spelling this week. I’m on this stupid Apple, with a spell check I can’t find for the life of me, down here in rural Tasman. I find my flash Apple Tablet – an unrequested present – even worse. Ungrateful b………………, I know.)

/  25th June 2016

His wife clearly loves him. I love her for that.

/  25th June 2016

I should think that they’ll be glad to be out of it all.

/  25th June 2016

I’ve never seen that look, in her eyes for him, from Hillary for Bill.

/  25th June 2016

A simple reality check for the EU political bureaucracy: Britain buys almost twice as much from Europe as it sells. So who is going to be hit hardest by any trade barriers and EU playing hard to get on a trade agreement? Fools are demonstrating their ignorance and incompetence in spades. Many European people will note and not forget they are being ruled by idiots.

• Pete Kane

/  25th June 2016

Exactly Doctor. As an aside, and just reviewing things today, most of the MSM have behaved abominably through all this, in my view. Plenty of time for that review though.

/  25th June 2016

Spot on Alan. Wales vs All Blacks on Prime. CYa.

Go Wales, you good things. Make it a close loss. You deserve it. Wouldn’t even mind if you win tonight. 😎

All Blacks 46-6.
          What a magic team. They were unstoppable tonight.
          Wales played to the end.

Look forward to ABs vs Australia in August.

• Pete Kane

/  26th June 2016

Hope they don’t drop a match this season, given the Poms beat them 3 nil. (Saw their Under 20s won the world title also.)

• Pete Kane

/  26th June 2016

Sorry ‘they; meaning ABs. Bad weather down here G – no shooting this morning, sadly (for me).

/  26th June 2016

If it’s birds, may you shoot like Wayne—& if you still managed to hit one by accident—may you cook like Nelly, Pete. 😎

• Pete Kane

/  26th June 2016

Sorry, two of the only things I good at. Would something in Nelly and wayne’s direction appease.

/  26th June 2016

As long as you shoot like Wayne it shouldn’t do any harm.

It’s absolutely pissing down in North Welly, Pete. how about in Tazzy? I’m thinking of voting Green: the weather under National is crap today.

• Pete Kane

/  26th June 2016

I’m pretty sure when Values first stood Tasman (or maybe Nelson) was first or second. Living in Nelson at the time, 75 I think. AW will confirm hopefully.

PS have a brother and his family (Kiwis) living in Champagne for (the main) more than a decade. Missed his calls last night and Friday – but he sounds nervous. I don’t think its a problem – but he does have his youngest still at school in the State Froggy system.

13. patupaiarehe