The biggest left wing blog?

A few days ago The Daily Blog posted a fund raising drive – July Contributions drive – last days

Brothers and Sisters, if you think The Daily Blog is an important voice in the NZ media landscape, then we need your contribution.

The Daily Blog is the largest left wing blog in NZ and you know how dire the mainstream media has become so these few platforms left to fight back at the Government and corporate power are more essential than ever before.

Asking for pocket money from brothers and sisters aside, the largest left wing blog in New Zealand?

Yesterday The Standard made a slightly different claim in Offer to NZLP candidates:

Whether the largest or most widely read blog doesn’t really matter, a lot of political discussion happens on other types of forums anyway, especially Facebook.But the two posts highlight the different niches that the blogs are trying to cater for.

The Daily Blog:

Putting together a 5 night a week 7pm current affairs show and co-ordinating 40 of the best left wing progressive voices each month don’t come cheap.

A lot of Bradbury’s and The Daily Blog’s focus is now on Waatea Fifth Estate streamed talk show. It is quite a commitment and a big task rounding up participants for that every week day. It can sometimes be interesting but I doubt whether it makes impact beyond a fairly small audience.

Meanwhile The Standard and Labour have both moved in new directions – more openly campaigning for local body elections.

We think that offers candidates for Labour Party positions a great platform to get their ideas out to members and to debate them. Which is why, with nominations for various significant party positions closing soon, we’re offering candidates the opportunity to provide guest posts ahead of the conference in Auckland this year.

We’ll make sure that your post is at the top of the site for at least half a day and will moderate comments.

In the past The Standard has been adamant it represents the ‘labour left’ and not the ‘Labour Party’. Despite this they have dabbled in party politics at times, but is the most hard out Labour campaign approach I have seen there. This looks to be a significant change for both the party and the blog.

Will The Standard offer similar campaign support for Green candidates, especially now that Labour and Greens are promoting themselves as a joint election deal? Or are Greens not labour left enough for them?

There’s an opportunity for attracting more Green blog discussion now that Frog Blog has shut down comments.

1. PDB

/  30th July 2016

The Strandard: “Democracy works best when people know who they’re voting for and the Standard is about democracy”.

They actually speak of ‘selective democracy’ whereby it is fine as long as the left are in power and make all the rules.

2. Kevin

/  30th July 2016

“Democracy works best when people know who they’re voting for and the Standard is about democracy. So if you’re planning to stand for a Labour role and you want to speak to thousands of Labour members, contact us via thestandard@gmail.com

Ah, what about National and Act candidates? In the interests of democracy shouldn’t they be given space?

This proves The Standard is lying when they say they don’t present the Labour Party. But then again we all knew that already.

3. Kevin

/  30th July 2016

“As the most widely read left blog in New Zealand, the Standard is a regular stop for most Labour Party members who spend time online.”

I wouldn’t vote for any politician who spends time on and contributes to The Standard as it shows they lack both judgement and intelligence.

/  30th July 2016

Well Key has ‘spent time’ on it…so there goes another vote.!

• Kevin

/  30th July 2016

But has he contributed to it? Maybe he’s disguised himself as a KDS-sufferer to make TS look even more ridiculous?

4. The Standard has never claimed to represent the “Labour left”, Pete. You’ve mistaken that term for the actual original positioning, which was to be a voice from the “Labour movement”. That’s a much wider concept than the Labour left. As you know, we have authors who cover the spectrum of politics, from actual labour lefties like me to Trump luvin’ loonies.

As to which blog is bigger, there are various metrics, but TS has a huge readership and a very active commentariat. Most posts are read by thousands and regularly, tens of thousands, and most usually generate 50-100 comments. In recent weeks, comments on some posts have exceeded the 300 mark, so the engagement level is obviously extremely high.The Daily Blog doesn’t come close on those fundamental measures, but has once or twice exceeded our page views on the open parachute monthly stats. I suspect Bomber has his tongue firmly in his cheek when he claims TDB is the leading left blog.

For all that, both blogs are coming very close to matching Kiwiblogs numbers. It’s possible all three are more popular than WO, but there is no way to know what that joints real engagement is because of their overuse of clickbait.

• Kevin

/  30th July 2016

“As you know, we have authors who cover the spectrum of politics, from actual labour lefties like me to Trump luvin’ loonies.”

Trump luvin’ loonies? Like who? CV? And remember we’re talking authors here. I can’t imagine TS ever publishing a thread by any author supporting Trump.

• You’ve kinda answered your own question, Kevin! Those posts already exist, which is a shame, and a sad reflection on that author’s personal issues with the left in particular and the rest of the world in general.

/  30th July 2016

When I compare all the others mentioned, I have to say that I think this blog certainly has the best music. 😐

• Conspiratoor

Yes, and we’re only getting started G 😉

• Russell at Public Address may be a bit miffed at that claim.

/  30th July 2016

Well, I was only speaking about the other blogs mentioned up until now, when you suddenly introduced that particular ‘bum note’ into my song, PG. :/

• I’m sure I’ve seem labour left referred to at TS.

What’s the difference between the labour movement and the labour left? I’d have thought the labour movement was fairly left.

Wasn’t the Labour Party formed out of the labour movement?

Both the labour movement and the labour left have shrunk somewhat over the last few decades. As has the Labour Party.

• Hi, Pete. The Labour movement is a broad church. The term used to refer primarily to the union movement, which used to mean the majority of working people back in the days of compulsory unionism. Nowadays it covers unions members, political parties, beneficiaries, independent and dependent contractors, greenies and anybody else who chooses to align with those groups.

The term labour left is far narrower, and really only means the part of the political labour movement that identifies as left wing. To be clear, there are unions and Labour MP’s who wouldn’t regard themselves as Labour left, but would see themselves as part of the wider Labour movement.

The Standard set out to reflect voices in the labour movement. That is still recorded in the ‘about’ section on the sites front page. However, nowadays, some of the authors are not from the labour movement at all, which generally speaking, is fine for the purpose of raising discussion.

• “The Labour movement is a broad church. ”

Was.

• Still is. The labour movement is huge and includes the largest democratic organisations in NZ. The latter point is significant because unions are entirely voluntary, yet they continue to exist despite demographic, economic and political changes.

• Unions are far smaller and necessary for far fewer people now than they were fifty years ago.

They are still significant but more now as a niche rather than as a ‘workers movement’. Most of the movement has already occurred, and what is left is organised tweaking for some while many others are happy to deal with things themselves.

I have been in compulsory unions last century but even then had and felt no connection with them.

/  31st July 2016

It really is time the NZ Labour Party recognised that it no longer appeals to large numbers of blue collar worker employees, a huge number of whom are now independent contractors and small businesses.

The way is open for a new Party with a different name, different leader, more effective PR, & policies with wider appeal to the current electorate, to launch itself onto the scene & compete with National. Probably this won’t happen unless, and until after, National wins a fourth term.

• ” this is now the most interesting conservative blog in NZ”

I guess you’re trying to have a wee poke with that. I don’t think there’s much that’s conservative about what I’ve been doing here. I’ve established a niche by being different and providing something different, not being conservative and certainly not promoting conservatism.

/  30th July 2016

I agree, Pete. This isn’t a conservative blog in my opinion. Hence my question to TPK.

5. Corky

/  30th July 2016

“I look forward to Your NZ getting up there too. As I’ve said on more than one occasion, this is now the most interesting conservative blog in NZ and a fair better representation of where ‘middle NZ’ is at than the alternatives on the right.”

Can I ask how you have come to this conclusion?

• Well, I think ‘middle NZ’ has leant to the right for a decade or more and Your NZ reflects the shifted centre. Kiwblog is the voice of the National Party and WO used to be the paid voice of anyone from the right who would write a cheque till Slater blew it. The ground closest to the middle is pretty reasonably covered here so I generally take more notice of what is written here (both posts and comments) because I think they genuinely reflect a section of the voting public that Labour needs to appeal to if it is to lead the next government.

That’s not saying I want centrist or right wing policies from Labour, but I believe we have to find ways to sell left wing ideas to people like those who read and write on Your NZ. That starts with understanding where people are at, not where we’d like to pretend they’re at, if you get my drift.

Thanks.

• Kevin

/  30th July 2016

YourNZ is a centrist blog. Most people are centre-right. However in the blogosphere most blogs are either Left or Right and I think by being a centrist blog that’s where YourNZ fulfils an important role.

I mean where else would you find Oilers and Standardistas in the same place? 🙂

6. swordfish

/  30th July 2016

Pete, I think that post on The Standard was referring to candidates in Labour Party INTERNAL elections (General Secretary and so on) rather than Labour Local Body candidates.

7. PDB

/  30th July 2016

It is very interesting that the two stories Pete has posted today are “the biggest left wing blog” & ‘the biggest dinosaur footprint”…………..sounds like the exact same discussion to me?

/  30th July 2016

Just realised I mis-read the post title. I thought it said the biggest left wing bog. Soz. o_O

• Conspiratoor

/  30th July 2016

G, when you first joined us I picked you for a rabid lefty, okay maybe not rabid but far enough to be misguided. What happened. Did Al get to you. Explain…

/  30th July 2016

You made incorrect assumptions.

/  30th July 2016

I must say you had fooled too. Still, it was good you stepped into the breech as Pati posted less. I mean, he is so highbrow sometimes I had to ask my neighbour what some of his posts meant. You get your point across in a way everyone can understand.

I hope you stay as you are…..I fear a Labour win could have you visiting those old socialists beliefs again and turning on decent Righties like Al and I.

Edit- me

/  30th July 2016

Certainly. Which parts of you would you like edited Corky? o_O

(PS: Ok, if you won’t give me a cent, & you don’t to give me your credit card number, how about a one-off payment via online banking direct to my bank account?) 😀

Heh!!

PS: *want 😉

/  30th July 2016

‘upcommance ‘….really!…as for any self appointed individual who yearns to be the ‘house detective’….v.

/  30th July 2016

I have certain embedded values I try not to shift from Corky. But otherwise I review my opinions on everything on a regular basis, based on whatever new information or observations have come to light.

I’m an introvert. For me one of the most annoying aspects of my personality is my overriding tendency to assume that everyone I encounter is a fair & reasonable person until the sheer, overwhelming amount of evidence to the contrary forces me to realise that was a stupid assumption to make with some people.

/  30th July 2016

Fine ethical sentiments. And its great you are finally giving Blazer his upcommance after giving him a fair chance to redeem himself.

• Conspiratoor

/  30th July 2016

G, im curious to know. When you reach that point how does your interaction with that person change. Is it possible for them to salvage the situation or is there no redemption

/  30th July 2016

1. When you reach that point how does your interaction with that person change.
              It ceases.

2.Is it possible for them to salvage the situation or is there no redemption

• Conspiratoor

/  30th July 2016

I have met a number of folks who are basically introverts but who are able to function quite well as extraverts in short durations. This tends to take a lot out if them and they need extended time alone to recharge the batteries

9. Iceberg

/  30th July 2016

The thing that they don’t get is that for a candidate to appear on either of the lefty blogs is demonstrably the kiss of death.

Lefties gonna vote left. Don’t waste time and energy in an echo chamber. Especially not one that’s also used as a sewer.

/  30th July 2016

can you provide any examples of your assertion?

• Iceberg

David Cunliffe

/  30th July 2016

Cunliffe is the John Howard of the Labour Party.When Nat scrape home next year he will be ready for 2020.

• Iceberg

/  30th July 2016

The public can’t stand him, Caucus can’t stand him. Nope he’s Kevin Rudd.

Hope he stands again.

10. I really really hope that David C does not stand again. He should encourage someone with a broader appeal to take his place in Labour. Preferably someone with a blend of good humour, intelligence, a capacity to not get too full of themselves, a listener not a didactic soul and someone who has a welcoming smile to conceal the large stick she carries. Oh and a thick skin is an imperative. Should not be a Union member.

/  31st July 2016

He can improve on many of the things you suggest Colonel.Biggest letdown for me was in the debate when Keys handlers had him ask the tax question re trusts and Cunny was…stumped.Labour needs to smarten up..Key is vulnerable to the same hits,done properly.Winston is the master at firing them and deflecting.