RNZ beats commercial radio

The biggest surprise for me in this story is that Radio NZ (the now like to be called RNZ) hasn’t been included in ratings done for commercial radio before.

This makes some of Stuff’s stuff a bit strange in Bloody marvellous! John Campbell and Morning Report lead RNZ to a ratings resurgence

The “king of breakfast radio” Mike Hosking has been dethroned by state broadcaster RNZ’sMorning Report programme.

RNZ has attracted the highest national audience against commercial radio news rivals in all key time slots, results from a survey released this week show.

It was the first time in 17 years RNZ has been included in a radio survey with its commercial competitors.

How can they (Stuff) claim ‘a resurgence’ and that Hosking is ‘dethroned’ when there was no previous comparison?

Regardless of that, the survey GfK survey (conducted over 18 weeks and sampled nearly 11,00 people aged 10 years and over) shows that RNZ is a major player on the pictureless airwaves.

Total New Zealand Commercial Radio Audience Measurement

For the first time a Commercial Radio Audience Measurement Survey has been conducted across the whole of New Zealand, giving valuable insights into the strength and scope of commercial radio listening across the country. The survey was conducted over 18 weeks and sampled 10,863 people aged 10+.

Department of Statistics estimated population data at 30 June 2015 indicates approximately 4,010,000 people aged 10+ years live in New Zealand. The Total New Zealand Commercial Radio Audience Measurement Survey shows over 3,134,000 or 78.2% of them listen to a commercial radio station each week.

The survey showed:

• RNZ’s Morning Report programme, hosted by former TV personality Guyon Espiner and Susie Ferguson from 6am-9am, had about 386,000 listeners.
  • Mike Hosking Breakfast, which runs from 6am to 8.30am, was ‘a distant second’ to Morning Report.

(In May, Newstalk ZB reported that Mike Hosking was the “king of breakfast radio” with 265,000 listeners).

• RNZ shows Nine to Noon with Kathryn Ryan, Jesse Mulligan in afternoons and Checkpoint with John Campbell were all leading their time slots against rival stations.
  • The Edge was the top ranked station nationwide with 663,000 listeners each week followed by RNZ with 529,000 listeners. Newstalk ZB was close behind with 504,000 listeners.

So RNZ appears to be working and providing something that many people make use of.

I think that an alternative to commercial radio is worthwhile and adds something different to the radio mix.

1. Duff

No ad’s is one reason

/  31st July 2016

I forgive the ads on Newstalk ZB whenever there’s a good host and good points being intelligently discussed. I’m glad they aren’t expecting to tax me as though I were a constant listener, for listening only when I want to.

That said, I am happy to be taxed to pay for a neutral state broadcaster.

2. It’s quite a ridiculous claim. I’m of a certain age and like most of my friends listen to Nat Radio (have done for years), mainly because it lacks the boring commercial advertising. I’m prepared to filter the leftist bias – as I’m sure most do in order to get addless radio. I particularly like Kathryn Ryan’s nine to noon and Jim Mora.

One thing I defintely do though is make sure i switch it off before John Campbell aka Mr Bee’s Knees, aka Marvellous man comes on. Nationwide the listeners reach for the off button as that man starts off with his embarrasing, repetitive agendaised monolgues.

• duperez

/  31st July 2016

I was thinking, “Now here’s someone sensible with a rational perspective” until I got to the bit beginning “aka.” I thought that bit had a sort of embarrassing, repetitive agendaised monolgue touch about it .

/  31st July 2016

Aww … he is a bit tiresome now, tbh. Developed a bit of a Jesus complex that’s hard for me to tolerate in anything but very small doses without starting to feel a bit nauseated.

• I absolutely have an agenda, if that’s what you call an opinion, but the taxpayer doesn’t pay me to spread my endless anti-government bollocks like it does Campbell. I listened to him interviewed on a Nat Radio music show yesterday. His taste isn’t too bad actually Tiny Ruins, Sharon Van Etten and some others I approved of. However, if he said “marvellous” or “Bee’s knees” once he said them a dozen times. The man is a left wing stooge, cuts centrism and conservatism no slack. His brand of journalism shouldn’t be given the breadth it is without balance. He’s ruined the evenings for me and I’ll take him to task as I see fit.

• duperez

/  31st July 2016

If he said “marvellous” or “Bee’s knees” once he said them a dozen times? What? Let’s send out the hanging party. At the end of the day I’m sure they’re hanging offences.

No only that, the man is a “left wing stooge, [who] cuts centrism and conservatism no slack.” I’m sure you could not be accused of similar dispositions.

3. Zedd

/  31st July 2016

I sometimes listen to ZB, but increasingly its sounds more like ‘Team Key’ Radio.. most of the hosts/reporters.. singing the praises of the Right & often attacking the Left 😦

RNZ seems much less bias to I&I 🙂

• Iceberg

/  31st July 2016

I always find much less bias in those I agree with too.

If you haven’t caught on to the bias of RNZ then you are the most gullible listener in NZ.

• Zedd

@Ice

OUCH.. touche !! 😀

/  31st July 2016

Yes Zedd. I can see how RNZ might be perceived as having an anti-government bias. The good thing about that though, if so, is that they have an anti-government bias against whichever Party is in charge of the Government.

4. David

/  31st July 2016

Its always a battle for me between 20 minutes an hour of adverts or balmy left wing bias on moaning report, I do quite enjoy shouting shut up already when they give Little free reign to drone on and on and on and on.
    Anyone know how Sainsbury is going on RadioLive, he is truly dire and I have given up on the station completely because of him.

/  31st July 2016

What is it that you want ‘them’ to do, exactly?

• David

/  31st July 2016

Cut him off when he has answered the question rather than leaving him to drone on and on as its very boring and the guy is uninteresting.

/  31st July 2016

Steven Joyce and Bill English and David Seymour are like that too aren’t they?

5. Corky

/  31st July 2016

What? National Socialist Radio…..my world view crashes and burns. Johnny and the crew are back. They have made their case for thieving our money. Will Neo-liberalism survive?
    Stay tuned folks.

/  31st July 2016

Ultimately, no, but regulated capitalism probably will because it is too valuable to society to lose. And Johnny probably won’t have that much to do with it.

/  31st July 2016

I disagree, you can’t have regulated capitalism because that becomes socialism. Hold on, we have regulated capitalism at the moment. So we have socialism. What happened to Neo Liberalism? Johnny has more power then you know.

/  31st July 2016

I’m a social democrat. Not a socialist. They’re not the same thing. Neoliberalism is ultimately as destructive as extreme socialism.

• Iceberg

/  31st July 2016

“Neoliberalism is ultimately as destructive as extreme socialism”

No doubt examples are easy to come by then?

/  31st July 2016

Yes. Amerika. Many countries in South America where that has been a favoured means of establishing & maintaining oligarchies. Chile & Argentina come to mind, there are probably others. Possibly, these days, also Russia.

/  31st July 2016

That’s not my downtick btw

6. What were National Radio’s/Radio NZ/RNZ stats in that time slot before St John of Grey Lynn arrived on the taxpayers dime??

And if St John is so great how come his ratings declined when he was all over TV3 with Campbell Live?

And if St John can attract a big audience why did he not do something really interesting like Bomber has done – go and do the tough thing and set up his own current affairs show which he could drive and get someone to pick up the broadcast rights or even better webcast himself?

Because the money is nice at RNZ and he can push his agenda till he retires without any worries about keeping revenue flowing like he had to at TV3, and with no worries about getting the sack from the “neutral” RNZ.

nine to noon and morning report snippets on demand from the rather good RNZ website means I can avoid the Saint…

/  31st July 2016

Yeah by the time he was dumped from TV3 he was coming across to me as extremely well paid, well-off individual aligning himself with the poor for promotional and PoD image purposes. That may seem harsh, but that is how he came across to me, and given the ratings dive he underwent, I don’t think I was by any means alone in that perception.

• You’re right. However some in the MSM want to spin the newly admitted RNZ as a ratings resurgence, and they want to attribute that to St John. The reality is that many, many of us who prefer addless and can filter accordingly listen. More than that – we’ve always listened. Nothing resurgence about it.