Media watch – Thursday

4 August 2016

MediaWatch

Media Watch is a focus on New Zealand media, blogs and social media. You can post any items of interested related to media.

A primary aim here is to hold media to account in the political arena. A credible and questioning media is an essential part of a healthy democracy.

A general guideline – post opinion on or excerpts from and links to blog posts or comments of interest, whether they are praise, criticism, pointing out issues or sharing useful information.

As usual avoid anything that could cause any legal issues such as potential defamation or breaching suppression orders. Also remember that keeping things civil, legal and factual is more effective and harder to argue against or discredit.

Sometimes other blogs get irate if their material is highlighted elsewhere but the Internet is specifically designed to share and repeat information and anyone who comments or puts anything into a public forum should be aware that it could be republished elsewhere (but attribution is essential).

1. @rodemmerson
    The Kermadec decision causing angst – my cartoon in today’s @nzherald

/  4th August 2016

The Court decision in due course will be interesting. I don’t think any compensation should be payable either but I hope the Court at least declares the Government’s ‘consultation’ with Maori was as farcical, gutless, & unbecoming as it was.

Emmerson’s a plonker – his labels in this cartoon should be reversed.

2. Kevin

/  4th August 2016

lprent does some navel gazing and comes up with the obvious.

Yes, writers (and bloggers are writers) write because they have something to say and have to say it. Good grief.

And for bit of hilarious irony:

“Emily isn’t a narcissistic who enjoys having mean and nasty fools writing comments. Now I can relate to that. I do have a slightly different attitude – that I don’t like people behaving like arseholes (especially pig-ignorant ones), and I prefer to treat them as arseholes until their behaviour improves. I believe this shows up in my moderation style on the odd occasion.”

/  4th August 2016

I’ve still got the four festering penises and ‘don’t come back’ email in a drawer upstairs.

All I asked was if Cam had really run over his moped.

3. Zedd

/  4th August 2016

‘Back benches’ (Alkd special) was a interesting watch last evening (except the ‘know it all’ Nat. MP).. replay today Prime-TV 3pm

/  4th August 2016

Cheers Zedd. Might have a gander.

/  4th August 2016

Watchin the Backbenchers replay right now Zeddo. (Ad break.) Good viewing – ya right. Davy Seymour’s doing ok. Metiria’s voice gettin on me nerves a bit. Jamie Lee Ross a bit of stuffed shirt but not completely humourless – he’s holdin his own (so to speak). Jacinda – yeah … I dunno. Can’t make up me mind there. Back on now – Cya.
        3:23 pm

/  4th August 2016

All over bar the drinking. It was an ‘Auckland Special’ – held in some watering hole up there. That was excellent Zedd. I thought all 4 pollies done good mate, overall.

David Seymour romped home in the ‘Auckland Quiz’ & won the Nano Homes Book that was the prize – bloody quick off the mark with his harmonica, too. Says he’s bought his own home up there now. Must have a well-paid job or something.

Metiria would have come in second with her castanet. Wish one of them was given a duck caller. That’d quack everybody up, I reckon.

ACT supporters in the crowd reckoned the TPPA will make everybody rich. :/

Why can’t they all be like that in Question Time eh? 😎

• Zedd

Hayley H. is worth a look too… sweet 🙂

• Zedd

/  4th August 2016

I just wonder whether ‘the random Nat.’ (Ross) ever takes that pin-stripe & tie off & relaxes.. OR does it cover up his puppet strings ? 😀

4. Nelly Smickers

/  4th August 2016

Katie Hopkins ❤ just tweeted me a piece she did for the *Daily Mail*…….can you even believe the sort of things some *nasty a###holes* say about her ❓ 😮

/  4th August 2016

Isn’t she a love, Nelly? Thanked me when I emailed her a link to these butchers, but said unfortunately she was already accommodating a cucumber, a pineapple, and a kipper.

5. Donald J. Trump Verified account ‏@realDonaldTrump

The global warming we should be worried about is the global warming caused by NUCLEAR WEAPONS in the hands of crazy or incompetent leaders!

6. Blazer

…um…Nick look here,

‘When a week ago we reported that in a long-overdue decision, the British Columbia government finally cracked down on Vancouver’s unprecedented “Chinese hot money” driven housing bubble by implementing a 15% property tax (which we had advocated for one month earlier), we said that “with today’s tax, Vancouver’s real estate nightmare in which local housing had become the “new normal” anonymous Swiss bank account, and also made real estate virtually unaffordable to local, hard working Canadians, is finally set to end.”

However, not even we were confident that a 15% tax would be “prove to be a sufficient deterrent to future Chinese buyers.” Now thanks to the Financial Post we now know that not only was the tax sufficient, but it has led to the prompt, much anticipated, and generally welcome bursting of the Vancouver housing bubble.’-Nick Durden

7. #dunnerstunner pic by @joegallaghernz #wilddunedin #Dunedin #NewZealand stay warm peeps

• Zedd

/  4th August 2016

is that your backyard PG ?

• Nowhere near it, unless you mean the whole of Dunedin. It looks like it’s taken from up on Flagstaff, I have been there a few times, a great view of the city and a good walk.

8. Blazer

/  4th August 2016

one for ..Corky…Nelly getrs a ..mention..’

/  4th August 2016

Wotcha, cock! Had a butcher’s hook & that wuz a right bubble bath!