Open Forum – Thursday

22 September 2016

Facebook: NZ politics/media+

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is for you to raise topics that interest you.

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts.

Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts.

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.
  • Debate hard if you like but respect people’s right to have varying views and to not be personally be attacked.
  • Don’t say to a stranger online anything you wouldn’t say to their face.

Moderation will be minimal if these guidelines are followed. Should they ever be necessary any moderator edits, deletes or bans will be clearly and openly advised unless obviously malicious from anyone breaching site protocols, or spam.

• Klik Bate

/  22nd September 2016

You should never let the facts get in the way of a good story, eh’ Lurch ❓

“Data shows 93 percent of black homicide victims are killed by other blacks. In 2015, there were almost 6000 blacks killed by otter blacks. By contrast, only 258 blacks were killed by police gunfire that year…”

Source:

/  22nd September 2016

120 US police are killed each year. It’s a two sided gun battle and if you look at those numbers on each side the chances of a cop being killed by a black must be a heck of a lot higher than a black being killed by a cop.

• lurcher1948

/  22nd September 2016

One braking light bulb has fail,just now,PULLED OVER…,PLEASE DONT shoot me PLEASE master policeman im a good nigga whip me but dont shoot me master,I HAVE A WIFE A GOOD JOB AND 3 CHILDREN im a good niggar my hands are up im on the ground dont shoot me this is LIFE IN THE USA

• Klik Bate

/  22nd September 2016

“I HAVE A WIFE, A GOOD JOB AND 3 CHILDREN…..”

I’m not that sure it fits the rest of your narrative to be honest, Lurch XD

/  22nd September 2016

Chris Rock thinks you are full of it, Lurchy. He makes some good points in a funny way.

WARNING: FOUL LANGUAGE MAY OFFEND PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN A FANTASY WORLD.

• lurcher1948

/  22nd September 2016

Klik your shiny black wet dream uniform with 3 lighting strips on the collar you standing erect with your right hand raised but wheres your other hand, GET IT OUT OF THERE dirty

/  22nd September 2016

258 is more than twice 120. Many of those police must be killed by white criminals, it’s hard to imagine that they were all killed by blacks.

Only 258 ? I imagine that for the unarmed men who were shot, this number is meaningless. It wouldn’t be much comfort for the families to know that ‘only’ 258 blacks were shot by police.

• Klik Bate

/  22nd September 2016

For the families, maybe not. For the rest of the law abiding citizens in the country, I’m sure they’ll all be sleeping a bit easier.

/  22nd September 2016

Hardly. The US is a very large place.

I wouldn’t be sleeping more easily even here if a person I’d never heard of before and who had done nothing or had a record of traffic crimes was shot by police in Whangarei or Invercargill.

Being a black man is not a capital offence-or shouldn’t be.

I can’t believe that Lurch & I are in agreement over something.

/  22nd September 2016

Traffic offences, I mean.

1. Missy

/  22nd September 2016

First up, apologies for the silence for the last week or so – a cold, and weekend work requirements have meant not much time to do much else.

A lot has been happening over the last week or so, but most of it is pretty repetitive, and business as usual in the sniping department, but here are a few highlights.

Posted: https://yournz.org/2016/09/22/report-from-europe/

2. Missy

/  22nd September 2016

I must say, I am disappointed that Pete has not done a post on what was (today in the UK) the story of the day – I am sure it will turn out to be the story of the year, if not decade. I am of course talking about the break up of Brangelina! C’mon Pete, where are you on the important issues of the day? 😉

*note the above is in no way a serious comment, and should be read with a sarcastic tone.

• Before the media onslaught yesterday, which was difficult to avoid, I would have guessed that they had already split.

It’s hard to comprehend how obsessed the media is with ‘celebrity’ trivia.

Divorce rates in the US are still high but are dropping (as are marriages).

• Missy

/  22nd September 2016

I agree it is hard to comprehend how obsessed the media are with ‘celebrity’ trivia. I personally don’t care, but it is interesting that a lot of the media are spending a lot of time analysing the split, the reactions, and their lives together, trying to work out where it all wine wrong.

On the divorce / marriage rates, I guess it stands to reason divorce rates will drop as marriage rates drop.

I will admit, most of my post was tongue in cheek, and not at all serious – it was more about poking fun at how obsessed the media are on it than anything, headline news here, when so much more is happening.

• Nelly Smickers

@ 8AM
          BREAKING ❗
          You get it all here on YNZ……*live shots* of the *Moving Trucks* outside Brangelina’s XD

/  22nd September 2016

It’s the kids I feel for the most. They’ll end up penniless and homeless and no one will care.

/  22nd September 2016

It’s not all bad news. There are reports Jennifer Aniston’s feeling quite happy about it.

• Missy

/  22nd September 2016

I think that is the media feeling happy on her behalf Gezza, I don’t think she would be crass enough to say something like that – even if she was feeling happy about it. 🙂

• patupaiarehe

/  23rd September 2016

It’s not actually ‘news’ at all. It is their own personal tragedy. More so their childrens’ personal tragedy. Why is this news? FFS, leave them alone, and let them sort out their problems.

/  23rd September 2016

True in both cases I think. Karma is what she is reported to have said. She was deeply hurt when Brad cheated on her with Ange when he was married to her, and her not wantibg or not being able to have children was a feature of their breakup as I recall.

/  23rd September 2016

Anyway, late enough for me, goodnight.

• Missy

/  23rd September 2016

patupaiarehe: Agree, it isn’t news, and it will be difficult for the children to see it played out in the media. Early indications are that it will be acrimonious as well.

Gezza: you could be right, to be honest I have really only seen the multiple headlines in the media here, I haven’t really read much about what has and hasn’t been said, or done.

/  23rd September 2016

lt’s a situation that represents all the bad things about celebrities & media. At least these children won’t suffer material harm. They will be well provided for financially. However they will have to suffer the emotional stresses of watching their parents fighting & telling them that they still love them though. And the media will feed them daily doses of it.

• patupaiarehe

/  23rd September 2016

Why are their marital problems any of our business??

/  23rd September 2016

Because they themselves make their whole lives the world’s business when they market their celebrity life. The upside is they get to enjoy the fame, fortune and influence this gives them. The downside is the media they feed eats them alive when things turn sour because it is a callous beast.

• patupaiarehe

/  23rd September 2016

Do they do that, or do the media do it? Who would choose a life that involved paparazzi poking lenses over your fence every time you went for a swim in your pool? It must really suck to have to be certain that every little crack in the curtain is closed before you even think about getting intimate…

/  23rd September 2016

It’s a symbiotic relationship. The payoffs are balanced against the costs. It’s why millions of beautiful people choose to live ordinary lives out of the limelight. Well, until social media came along, for some. Ka kite apopo, e hoa.

• patupaiarehe

/  23rd September 2016

It is what it is, same as it ever was… Haere ra e hoa…

/  23rd September 2016

Ae, “same as it ever was”:

• patupaiarehe

/  23rd September 2016

Whatever happened to Friday night woodstock???

Trolling.

• patupaiarehe

Consider yourself ‘trolled’ then G. You’re welcome, e hoa, cya tomorrow 😛

/  23rd September 2016

No, e hoa. You’re not the offender.

• Pickled Possum

/  22nd September 2016

What the heck Missy! Thank Goodness you are here to give us The Real News!
      I am at the mo getting ready to fly off to console Brad hehehe and make him forget that awwful skinny woman.
      I thought at the time of their coupling ‘What can he be thinking?’
      But of course knowing ALL about the male Sikee They don’t think with the head that houses the brain, I am so glad he came to his senses … at last.
      Thanks again … gotta go find my passport
      hmmm did I get it back from photo shop, I wonder. 😉

/  22nd September 2016

I suppose that gossip about filmstars has gone on since film was invented.

• Missy

/  22nd September 2016

I suppose gossip has gone on about anyone well known for centuries, since the beginning of society I would guess – you just need to look at the gossip about actresses, aristocracy, and royals hundreds of years ago, the difference is with modern technology more people can know the gossip, not just the privileged few.

/  22nd September 2016

Not just famous people get gossiped about either. You should see the goes gossip that goes on here about posters or their spouses suspected medical or mental conditions, nasty habits, biases, mental deficiencies, blindness etc. Just shocking. I try to soar above it all like a pukeko.

/  22nd September 2016

And as for some people’s proofreading deficiencies, what else needs to be said. Just terrible! 😡

/  22nd September 2016

The broadsheets of past centuries were extremely scurrilous-and, of course, it would be very difficult to trace the people who did them.

/  22nd September 2016

Not if we had a painting or a photograph. You just place tracing paper on top, and go over their outlines and other features with a pencil.

3. lurcher1948

/  22nd September 2016

I think CATs and DOGs are going to bite john key on the arse IE like showerheads stuffed liebor.PEOPLE LIKE THEIR PETS MORE THAN THEY LIKE john key, believe me…

4. lurcher1948

wow the truth HURTS but fight it KKK

5. lurcher1948

Isn’t debate great NO ABUSE as PG wanted just like i want to win lotto

• Iceberg

/  22nd September 2016

Your contribution to the debate has been outstanding so far Lurch. Keep going.

6. Kitty Catkin

/  22nd September 2016

What’s the betting that that ghastly accident that killed the father and two sons at Huntly was caused by ‘driver fatigue’ and the driver falling asleep at the wheel ?

Who hasn’t driven tired ? Most of us, probably. It’s only —–km, I’ll be all right going that distance. I remember once having to fight off going to sleep on the road after a long and exhausting day, but as I only had to go 35km, I kept going, somehow and was one of the lucky ones who get away with it.

The only good thing that may come from this is that all the publicity (and being able to guess what is the likely cause under the circumstances) may-just may-make people think that it COULD happen to them and have a rest.

People who would never drink-drive will drive tired even though it’s just as dangerous. I wish that there would be another ad on television about this.

• Nelly Smickers

/  22nd September 2016

Yes, that’s absolutely *heart-breaking* Kitzy. And what about this one…..a *father* is charged with *driving pissed* and causing a triple fatality…. *killing his wife, daughter and a teenage boy who was with them*……the father then *flees the scene* of the accident ❗

Still, he is a member of the *Exclusive Brethren*, so I’m sure there will be *forgiveness* :/

/  22nd September 2016

It’s not the same thing, however-anyone who drives drunk must know that they’re drunk.He (the ‘father’) actually was the father, according to the news.

Being tired is much easier to justify, as I said, and I suspect that most people have done it. Open windows to let cold air in….tell yourself that it’s only a few kms…

The problem is that none of us think that we WILL go to sleep on the road-I haven’t, but that time that I was so exhausted, I came horribly close to it. I know people who’ve gone off the road because of this, and a young woman I know lost her husband because he went into a lamppost-he’d come back from a holiday and gone onto work without a proper night’s sleep. A husband and father was lost to his family. He was about 15km from home, as I remember. Who wouldn’t think that they were all right for that distance ?

I suppose that drunks don’t think that they’re in danger or they wouldn’t drive drunk.

7. Zedd

/  22nd September 2016

Q-time; a few ‘patsy questions’ from ‘Team Key MPs’ to Mr. English, to say the economy is still at the top of the world, but ongoing B-S that this is benefiting ALL kiwis/whanau in Aotearoa/NZ !

I just could not help thinking ‘Would anyone really buy a used car from this man ?” OR anyone else on that side of the house ?? 🙂 😀

8. lurcher1948

/  22nd September 2016

the right are heading down hill with their heads in a toilet
    a decent tune if the right got their heads out of the dunny

• Conspiratoor

/  22nd September 2016

lurch, where do you park that damn xtrail when you hit the big city? I’m in welly over the weekend and I’ve got something I want to slip under your wiper. I think you will like it. Cheers,c

/  22nd September 2016

They don’t show enough of Harrison’s guitar. I can’t work out if it’s got humbuckers or single coils Lurch. Also the headstock’s unusual, doesn’t look like a Fender or Gibbo. It sounds like humbuckers to me. Might be a custom built jobby. What are your reckons?

9. lurcher1948

Try being nice the right its your time BUT YOUR TIME WILL PASS believe me

• We all die eventually Lurch……

• Conspiratoor

/  22nd September 2016

The inner skeptic in me tells me something is not quite right with dear old lurch and it is not the absence of neurons. I’m wondering if dark forces are at work here.
        Am I the lone ranger? Tell me why I’m wrong and lurch is just a good old blue collar with a brain disorder brought on by a lifetime of sniffing printers ink?

• lurcher1948

Dont get upset YOU ARE PAYING MY PENSION,SUCKERS

• patupaiarehe

I consider it money well spent Lurch 😀

• Iceberg

Thanks for the definition of the Left, Lurch

/  22nd September 2016

So now we now know why Winston was holding out re the signing of treaty settlements in parliment.

Apparently, local government legislation has been changed to allow Taranaki Maori to have 6 unelected seats on the Regional Council. Chris Finlayson said Peters would probably call him a bleeding heart.

Well, Winston would be too kind. I’d call it unconstitutional corruption. National should be impeached and removed from office.

That measure is a foretaste of how a written constitution would pan out…group rights above individual rights, meaning if you aren’t in the right group you would conceivably have less rights than fellow citizens.

• Iceberg

/  22nd September 2016

To assist with the debate, any chance you good give us your definition of the “right” Lurch?

Feel free to use caps.

/  22nd September 2016

All good questions though, Lurch.

11. lurcher1948

SUFFER Gezza, become IPad literate or become from the center

12. lurcher1948

Isn’t PG good that he lets us banter, TRUE NZers give and take

13. lurcher1948

/  22nd September 2016

Pete a old fart like me runs a great blog, sorry Pete i could be older but who cares

• patupaiarehe

/  22nd September 2016

Well done Lions! Speaking of ‘recent victories’ Lurch, any thoughts on Winstons’ efforts in ‘Te Whare’ today?