More on Williams’ court outburst

Stuff has more detail on the outburst by Jordan Williams in court yesterday in his defamation case against Colin Craig.

Taxpayers Union founder Jordan Williams’ courtroom rant

The proceedings finished in the High Court at Auckland with Craig’s lawyers recalling Taxpayers Union founder Jordan Williams, who has taken the defamation action against Craig.

The tense final examination of Williams prompted him to tell Craig’s legal team that they had “s…” all over Craig’s former press secretary Rachel MacGregor and accused them of “coming after” Williams.

The terse stand off between Williams and Craig’s lawyer Stephen Mills QC was prompted after communications between Williams and Whale Oil blogger Cameron Slater were unearthed a week into the trial.

I have a fair idea what that will be referring to. At this stage of proceedings I don’t want to give or hint at what it is.

Mills QC said it was evidence that Williams used people for his own political advantage.

Williams was adamant that the comments produced to the court, allegedly made by him, were falsified.

Where the communication originated and its contents can’t be reported due to legal reasons.

And that means can’t be mentioned here by anyone. I wonder if this is has something to do with “Lawyers will discuss trial matters on Monday”.

Williams said he was “embarrassed” by the communication and had apologised to the person who was the subject of the conversation.

He didn’t want to reveal what he’d actually said during the conversation because it was “yuck” and “personal”.

“I don’t want to say what the comment was because it’s really personal about [the person]. I don’t want to say it. The thing is I can’t produce the original. I can’t prove to you, but I know the circumstances. I wouldn’t have said that. I said something yuck. The opposite.”

Mills QC put to Williams he was “prepared to use people that are your friends for your wider political agendas”.

Williams then slammed his fist on the witness box.

jordanwilliamscourtfist

“I supported [Rachel MacGregor] for eight months until that p… [Craig] started piddling on the [confidentiality] agreement.

“You guys have come after me. You’ve said I’m a blackmailer, you’ve said I smeared the Serious Fraud Office. I can wear stuff that’s [in the documents]. My whole life is out there, I’ve got everything of my life out there, and I wear some pretty embarrassing stuff. I can wear stuff that’s there but I can’t wear stuff that’s not true.

“You’ve s… on Rachel in this case. You can’t help yourself.”

Some of this is available in video here  at One News: ‘You’ve shat on Rachel’: Tensions run high in Colin Craig defamation case

No matter how justified you think it may be, if you take someone to court exposing very embarrassing information, imposing legal costs of possibly hundreds of thousands of dollars on your opponent, claim I think $900,000 in damages, then there must be some expectation of a fairly robust defence.

/  24th September 2016

“Williams then slammed his fist on the witness box. ”

It was pathetic. It just made a wet bus tickety sound. A real bloke would’ve would’ve taken off his shoe and whacked it hard enough to look manly.

• Kevin

/  24th September 2016

Should have taken lessons from that Russian dude.

/  24th September 2016

Nah, from this guy I reckon.

• Conspiratoor

/  24th September 2016

True dat Kevon. The sound of that guy’s shoe reverberated around the world for decades. Interesting footnote, noone saw him pull it out of a paper bag. he still had both shoes on. No pic sorry

• A real man certainly wouldnt make the comment [Deleted as a legal precaution. PG] , what a dickless ,spinless little wimp this jerk is proving himself to be.

/  25th September 2016

‘Williams then slammed his fist on the witness box. ”….and was taken to A&E for treatment.

2. Nelly Smickers

/  24th September 2016

Imagine being these two boys’s dads. You wouldn’t dare show ya face down the pub for years.

/  24th September 2016

It’s not two boys, it’s the same photo of one boy being shown over and over.

• Nick Ellis

Huh?

/  24th September 2016

This is not the first time that it has been seen here, and it probably won’t be the last, alas. I suspect that you will see it again on YNZ, put on by the same person. Sigh…

• Nick Ellis

/  24th September 2016

If you’d have known it was Dawson ( played by James Van Der Beek) from Dawson’s Creek you might be sitting in a comfier chair ‘mastermind’.

• Pete Kane

/  25th September 2016

It’s a good thing Colin’s father is now retired. You wouldn’t want to walk in to class of senior students after this (or any students).

3. Kevin

/  24th September 2016

It’s come down to down to a he-said, she-said. If the jury believes Craig when he says it was all consensual, then Williams loses. If they believe MacGregor when she says it wasn’t, then Craig loses.

• I think that only covers who comes out of this looking worse generally.

The defamation side of it (I presume) is based on whether Williams lied or not. He claims he didn’t lie so was defamed. Craig claims (via his lawyer) that he was attacked and that it was fair for him to “punch back”.

/  24th September 2016

I wonder how many people know or care what it’s all about. I don’t, but I do wish that the news people would find some real news. They could probably play the same bit of it every night and nobody would notice. Yawnsville Productions.

/  24th September 2016

Someone’s making a stirling effort to keep the Wikipedia entry for Colin right up to date.

• Quite an up to date effort. I can’t find Jordan Williams in Wikipedia.

• Nick Ellis

/  24th September 2016

Homer Simpson: Don’t you worry about Wikipedia; we’ll change it when we get home.
      [aside, squinty eye]
      Homer Simpson: We’ll change a lot of things.

• Nelly Smickers

/  24th September 2016

Helen’s mum has probably got some time on her hands XD

5. Jiminy

/  24th September 2016

Why would anyone have anything at all to do with these p.o.s? Bevan Chuang, the disgusting attack on the journalist, now McGregor……its honey traps in reverse. Even Bhatnager himself and Lee Ross got made to look like buffoons by their mates which they will never live down. I’m not hard right or left, try to be pragmatic and which sometimes leans left, sometimes right, but if these guys are representative of NZ’s right wing? There’s no need whatsoever to drag innocent parties intimate private lives through the mud the way they do, the level of desperation it demonstrates in their quest for power is wholly indicative of the very reasons they should be kept as far from any possible. Thank Christ Slater hasn’t graduated further than the bedroom at mums with the curtains still drawn at lunchtime as he bangs away on the old keyboard.

6. Kitty Catkin

/  24th September 2016

The honey trap-an oldie but a goodie, in the sense that it catches mugs as well now as it has in the thousands of years that this has been around.

Think Samson and Delilah. I suppose that that could be called a honey trap. Women fall into them too, of course.