Within an inch of their credibility?

Grant Robertson responded to:

nzherald @nzherald
A man with a one-inch-long micropenis has opened up about his one sexual encounter http://nzh.nu/E33E304y9nE

With:

I mean seriously, do I now have to stop following one of our major news organisations because this is what they tweet out?

Robertson makes a fair point, the Herald seems to have been lowering it’s standards somewhat recently. Why? From Facebook:

nzhoneinch

Someone recently said that the Herald got a lot of clicks from Facebook, and this supports that. It may ell be good for advertising revenue.

But I don’t think it’s good the the herald’s credibility.

As someone recommended, I have stopped following but have stayed with and for now.

I can understand if politicians despair about competing for attention with click bait like this.

Previous Post

1. Kitty Catkin

/  26th September 2016

I’d have thought that it was very bad for revenue. I am glad that I don’t buy the Herald now if it’s sunk to that level, even online. The vulgarians must be having a field day over this story. They’d be the only ones who’d read it. The crude, witless and puerile comments will be innumerable as the crude, witless and puerile snigger themselves hoarse over this story.

This sort of thing is why I stopped bothering with Twitter long ago.

2. Corky

/  26th September 2016

The Herald are fugwits. The man is a liar.

3. patupaiarehe

/  26th September 2016

I can.

One doesn’t need to be Sherlock Holmes to work out what he will ‘reckon’. Too boringly predictable for words, I fear.

4. duperez

/  26th September 2016

Imagine the weighty Herald editorial meetings with musings about the respective hits. Such choices – the illumination of the Houswives of Auckland, the insight and sagacity of Mike Hosking or the musings on a micropenis.

• Joe Bloggs

/  27th September 2016

I’m picking the links to Mike Hosking and the micropenis end up at the same story 🙂

/  27th September 2016

Paul Henry should have a good cackle at this story. Personal appearance is always good for a laugh with him. His remarks about the woman with facial hair were very childish, as were those about Susan Boyle looking retarded.

• patupaiarehe

/  27th September 2016

Paul Henry is childish Kitty, that’s why he is funny. Everytime I hear him laugh the way he does, at one of his own jokes, I can’t help but smile. 😀

5. Kitty Catkin

/  27th September 2016

It is an injustice that men are cruelly mocked for something that they can do nothing about-this is blatant, cruel sexism.

/  27th September 2016

Rubbish Kitty. Lurchy is using the Dry Jelq technique. As you can see from his recent posts it must be working. He’s obviously lost blood from his brain to his head.

• Kitty your comment hit the mini nail on the head. One’s sexual and physical handicaps are the business of the person concerned and no one else – unless they ask for help/consideration. I just wish some people would realise that some of their joking comments really wound those affected and also point out that our suicide rates are alarming. Please people , think before you print – there may be hidden consequences.

/  27th September 2016

Time you had a chat to Nell.

/  27th September 2016

I was, of course, speaking generally ! This poor man is not responsible for his small genitals, and mockery of him or anyone else for anything like this is unacceptable/

BJ, I take your point.

‘Wayne’s’ crude and repulsive sexual remarks about me are disgusting- mocking a widow by making sexual comments a few months after her husband died of cancer is about as low as it gets-but I won’t be topping myself over them. They are not worth it. Anyone who can sink to taunting a recent widow about her non-existent sex life and how she must be desperate for sex, unable to get ‘enuff’ is a very sick person. How anyone can bring themselves to say such things and repeat them (if they are really said by someone else and not the writer) is impossible for any decent-minded person to understand. It is nauseating to read such stuff and wonder whose filthy mind thinks of widows in that way, especially one who has been widowed so recently and in such a horrible way.

• patupaiarehe

/  27th September 2016

I am sorry Kitty. I wouldn’t have encouraged her if I had realized that it actually upset you.

/  27th September 2016

Well, I suppose that it is a bit upsetting as well as being disgusting in the circumstances. To have Wayne salivating at the thought of a widow….ugh, ugh, ugh….to the person who’s on the receiving end of his crude comments, it is very unpleasant. It began a few months after I lost my husband to cancer, if Nelly really is a nurse, she should know what cancer does to the victim and their family. I don’t want to sound like poor me, but to then have someone like ‘Wayne’ mocking me so soon afterwards was not amusing to me. I don’t remember you encouraging Wayne’s sexual remarks, actually.

Comments surely have some levels beyond which they should not go. I can’t imagine mocking Alan or Gezza about their widowerhood and how frantic for sex they would be when they had just lost their wives to a long-term illness.

I do have real doubts as to whether she is a nurse-at these times, in particular.

/  27th September 2016

Kitty, you let Nelly wind you up too easily. She has her style and it won’t change I expect. So I would say less is more in response. If responding in kind isn’t your thing, which seems quite clear, then I would get on with talking about the subjects you love and ignoring the ones you hate.

I’ve been mocked by experts (and amateurs) and survived unscathed. You can too. Cheers.

• Klik Bate

/  27th September 2016

Kitty C. is right about what she says Patupairehe – I think I can even recall Nelly mocking both Alan, and Gezza, about the size of their penises (?)

As I remember, they both took it in good humour – which is of course the measure of a man. Although how she knew, is anyone’s guess

• patupaiarehe

/  27th September 2016

I don’t remember you encouraging Wayne’s sexual remarks, actually.

That’s because I havn’t, and wouldn’t. I was speaking about the meme I posted above. I do post things here occasionally that are intended to MILDLY offend you, but only when I think you are being a bit grumpy or judgemental. Don’t take Nelly too seriously, I don’t think she intends you (or anyone else for that matter) to do so. And don’t forget to smile 🙂

/  27th September 2016

I don’t mind people being judgemental with me. I can usually pretty quickly work out which ones are being more judge, and which ones are being more mental.

/  27th September 2016

@KB, Nelly has no doubt seen an awful lot of penises (and perhaps a few awful ones) in her professional life but I’m pretty sure she hasn’t seen mine.

So she’ll have to dream on and make do with Wayne – if he’s not a figment of her vivid imagination.

/  27th September 2016

I’ve got a 9 white note handspan on a piano keyboard so I don’t need to tell anyone any more than that.

• patupaiarehe

/  27th September 2016

Rushes to piano to check handspan 😉
              @Alan I see what you did there, & it wasn’t very nice 😀

/  27th September 2016

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, Gezza.

• Conspiratoor

You are too kind Al. She brings it on herself. Cheers,c

/  27th September 2016

Fair enuff. Have to go with your experience on that one, Al.

/  27th September 2016

I stand by what I said, that making personal, crassly sexual remarks in such a crude, vulgar way to and about a recent widow is totally unacceptable.

Some things can be passed off as banter, that can’t. It’s just filth.

I believe that I can give as good as I get, and God help me if I can’t win a battle of wits with Nelly-it’s hardly an intellectual challenge, it’s a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent, really-but Wayne’s comments are personal and show a very sick mind indeed. It’s the online equivalent of a dirty phonecall or peering through a keyhole into a bathroom or lavatory.

• patupaiarehe

/  27th September 2016

I told you to smile Kitty, and I’m not going to tell you again. Do you not remember this one from Nick yesterday???

• Nick Ellis

/  27th September 2016

There is no doubt that Nelly/Wayne is a construct that’s been playing you guys for ages. (hence the meme).
              I thought it was quite clever at first, pose as a woman with a crass boyfriend so you can write crass rubbish. Everyone fell for it too, some of you still do. But it has been getting a bit OTT lately.

• patupaiarehe

/  27th September 2016

Oh hello there Nick. I would consider myself more entertained than played. IMHO, Nelly means no harm, and judging by her absence, is possibly taking some time to review her recent efforts.

/  27th September 2016

You are over-sure of yourself, Nick, and not for the first time.

• Nick Ellis

/  27th September 2016

It’s pretty obvious Al. Unless anyones met her IRL? I’m guessing not.

(and from a guy whose default setting is over-sure-of-himself, I’ll take that as a compliment)

/  27th September 2016

No, some of what you believe is not at all obvious if you have been here from the start.

/  27th September 2016

I mostly just treat all the actors on this stage like who they play themselves as.

• Nick Ellis

/  27th September 2016

I’ve been reading this site for ages, it was obvious, to me, from the start.
              Of course I could be wrong, but I don’t think I am.

• I could be wrong about you, but I don’t think I am.

6. Kitty Catkin

/  28th September 2016

Wayne/Nelly cannot be ‘real people’ as no hospital would employ someone like that. Their racist attitude would ensure that ‘Wally’ could not work with staff from other countries-of whom there are many in the health sector, both as nurses and doctors. It’s obvious that this is a persona, but it’s a very unpleasant, childish one. To put racist and offensive words into someone else’s mouth rather than be honest about them being one’s own sentiments is a child’s game. Two for the price of one. A persona is one thing, claiming a profession is another. .

• patupaiarehe

/  28th September 2016

• Klik Bate

/  28th September 2016

[Deleted. I really don’t think it is fair or reasonable to attack someone here like that. PG]

• patupaiarehe

/  28th September 2016

That was completely unnecessary KB. Pete is pretty quick with his moderation, but I can still see the first sentence of that comment on Gravatar. It reflects more about you, than anyone else.

7. Now that tempers may have cooled a bit, I personally think that the use of a “Nelly and Wayne” device to explore the bounds of acceptable behaviour is a valid device in a blog, as long as it is carefully controlled by the author and the Blog manager. Who knows, it may help some people who have to deal with the behaviours illustrated. I guess it matters not if they aren’t real people as long as the intentions are honourable?

• Corky.

/  30th September 2016

Lol..Lol..Dr Phil has nothing on you.

/  30th September 2016

Just a sideshow perhaps.

• Nick Ellis

/  30th September 2016

But when someone creates a ‘deplorable’ single identity here they are shut down very fast. Yet the ‘double’ identity has been able to trash people willy nilly. (or willy nelly) for quite a long time. And what of their silence? Are they licking wounds, or have they quietly been “put into moderation” or whatever the euphemism for being banned is here?

• Klik Bate

/  30th September 2016

I think you’re right bjm1. At least the ‘Nelly and Wayne’ tag-team often managed to bring a bit of light relief into some otherwise tense debate. The humor was often cutting, but never offensive IMO…..unless of course you were of a similar disposition to the likes of a ‘Kitty’ or ‘Nick’, then I guess you would be offended by the slightest thing. Hopefully ‘The Smickers’ may be just away for the school holidays or something – we could do with a good laugh!

/  30th September 2016

Nelly is often hilarious and sharp and has given us heaps of laughs.

• Nick Ellis

/  30th September 2016

I’m not of a disposition like Kitty, but some of the things being said to Kitty were most definitely crossing the line of decency. And yes I’m aware that Kitty brings a lot of stuff upon her self, but there’s been at least 15 people banned from here for less.

• Klik Bate

/  30th September 2016

@ ‘Nick Ellis’

In PG’s words above……”I could be wrong about you, but I don’t think I am”

• “but there’s been at least 15 people banned from here for less.”

There’s no way you could know that, and it’s blatantly false.

If you know as much about here as you make out you do then you will know what making unsubstantiated accusations is not acceptable here.