No surplus?

Stephanie Rodgers claims that the surplus announced yesterday is not actually a surplus – because, she says, the Government should have spent more so there wouldn’t be a surplus.

There is no surplus

In Year Eight of this National government, the idea of a budget surplus is a joke (and not just because it’s been completely engineered by the catastrophic Auckland housing bubble). They’ve promised it for nearly a decade. They’ve fiddled the books to make the numbers come out OK. They even declared a surplus in the middle of the financial year – that’s how desperate Bill English has been to pretend that everything’s going along just fine in New Zealand.

That shows an alarming lack of understanding of how how a Government budget works, and why the surplus was announced now.

“Finance Minister Bill English has today presented the Crown accounts for the year to June”.

It’s normal to announce financial results a while after the end of the financial year, like about now.

The Government is required to announce crown accounts, even when the timing isn’t too Rodgers’ liking.

The truth is, there is no surplus.

This surplus isn’t a success for our government. It is a sign of their failure. It shows they do not understand what their job is: to look after the people of this country. To govern us – not bean-count.

There is no surplus – not if you care about people more than money.

So Rodgers doesn’t want a surplus because she wants more money spent, probably a lot more money than Crown revenue, which means a deficit. She would probably complain if a deficit was announced at this time of year too.

Previous Post

1. Strong For Life

/  14th October 2016

Wasn’t Stephanie Rodgers once Mr Little’s communications manager? Seems she knows as little as Little about how the country works.

/  14th October 2016

There’s no real answer to her ‘logic’, is there ?

I can’t believe that Labour would spend every cent in the bank account, either.

But then, I have a sweetly trusting nature.

2. Oh dear…. and these warriors for the left on the internet want to be taken seriously????

The official government debt has already been run up to uncomfortable levels, in my view, to protect those dependent on government transfers by engaging in substantial deficit spending from 2008 through 2013 But Stephanie wants more debt incurred so more largess can be spread around!

And this from a blog, in the Standard, that has commentators who whine English has run up debt!! And Mr Cullen was a genius….

Dear Stephanie… where will the money come form for your spending desires? Let me guess more tax on rich pricks…

unbelievable…

3. artcroft

/  15th October 2016

That’s why it’s pointless reading TS and also why the Left live in an echo chamber. They make no sense and so no one else listens to them.

• Kevin

/  15th October 2016

Yes. Also, this is the same Stephanie that wrote a post smearing Jordan Williams and then got all huffy when others pointed out that by doing so she was defending a guy accused of sexual harassment.

/  15th October 2016

Beautiful double draw, Arty. I can smell the smoking holster oil through my monitor.

4. Corky

/  15th October 2016

”So Rodgers doesn’t want a surplus because she wants more money spent,”

This socialist attitude is very prevalent among the poorer classes. I have been told time and again by these folk that money is made to be spent. When I explain money is more a bartering and leverage tool, rather than a spending tool, they never seem able to grasp the concept. To them, if a product costs $5, they hand over $5, and they then own said product. That’s quite true. So its hard to argue when many can’t see past this simple exchange.

/  15th October 2016

Corky are you making shit up here? Just asking. It smells like it.

/  15th October 2016

Explain yourself, kind sir. And prepare to defend yourself.

/  15th October 2016

How many poor people would be prepared to talk to you? You don’t like poor people. 😳

/  15th October 2016

No, I don’t like them. But I have had much experience with poor people, or more correctly, the lower socio economic class. That experience is why I don’t like many of these people.

If you talk to this poor class you will find the ordinary aspirations of the middle and upperclass mean nothing to them. Likewise, where money and wealth are involved. To a poor Maori family the epitome of wealth is full cupboards of food.
            Its quite common to hear during an argument the phrase ” at least my cupboards are full.”

When you tell them: ”yes, your cupboards are full. But much of it is crap. You could save money on food and save a little each week for emergencies.” Back comes the reply,” that’s what we get money for, to buy food.

Don’t think I’m only talking about Maori. A European boy once received a lump sum payment ( $27,000) from ACC for sexual abuse( those type of payments are now discontinued). Over smoko he spoke to me the following fantastical words: ”I don’t know what to do with it. Its freaking me out ” I told him it wasn’t a huge amount of money, but if used wisely it would really benefit him.” He said, “nah, I’ll just spend and get rid of it” So I suggested he spend it on a car, holiday, drums ( he drummed), bling and other stuff. I told him at least have something to show for your payout. Result? Pissed and smoked against the wall over 3 weeks with his new found friends.

Please don’t tell these are only isolated cases, they aren’t. They are stereo typical of attitudes towards money most of the lower class have from my experience.

From your comments its obvious to me you know few from the lower classes.
            But there’s something more that’s upset you. What is that, Gezza?

/  15th October 2016

I’d love to say that this isn’t right, but it is.For a certain kind of person, money is there to be spent.

Some years ago, all our mail was saturated .I hastily opened it and hung it up to dry, not noticing that one was a neighbours-a bank statement. Yes, I did look when I did.(blushing face) He was earning a huge wage as a young miner (one can see why the mines couldn’t keep going, although I think that miners did earn every cent of their pay) and a pittance was being saved. The rest was being flung away. He could have bought a house in a very few years on those wages and still had plenty to spend on things like drink if he wanted to. He could have been mortgage free in his 20s, not still renting, and had an asset. His life and money, not mine, but it seemed a shame to work so hard and have nothing to show for it.

/  15th October 2016

No, I ‘m happy now, Corky. Thanks for that. It was raining r& I was just a bit bored. I’ve been watching a clip of Trumpy’s Greensboro speech yesterday, the one PG mentions in his post today. He says during it that Hillary isn’t doing any more events until the next debate. Might be right. I could only find one clip of her giving a speech to a rally in Pueblo, Colorado. Talk about promising Christmas every day for everyone. I don’t trust her Corks.

/  15th October 2016

She was on Ellen’s show, if that counts as an event. At least Trump isn’t offering xmas every day for Muslims and Mexicans. That has to count in his favour…surely? Apparently not. Pussy snatching TRUMPS xenophobia.

I see the Whaler took his angry pills today.

/  15th October 2016

Yeah, that’s quite a good move her appearing on the Ellen show. The views of the women who watch that show are generally formed by the last person they saw on it I think. Those in the audience are as bright as 3 year olds.

Hillary’s still got that cough, she sounded pretty raspy at that Pueblo speech – that was on 12 October – Wednesday. I got pneumonia this Winter. Couldn’t believe it, & couldn’t shift it. Took 3 bloody courses of antibiotics, each one stronger than the last, and in the end I had to put the heaters on & stay inside for 5 days. I wouldn’t be surprisd if she’s just still crook.

/  15th October 2016

”Those in the audience are as bright as 3 year olds.”

Lol… watching them I was just thinking that. My thought was these Liberals girls are the equivalent of t Conservative bible belters.

Sorry about the pneumonia. After so many antibiotics you will need some serious probiotics to replace your intestinal fauna. Unbelievably for orthodox doctors, my clinic recommend probotics after a course of antibiotics. Of course its not free. And its expensive.

5. Zedd

7 years of deficits ? 🙂

6. Gezza, are you also noticing swelling ankles? I had a similar bout of pneumonia and ended up having to spend time in hospital having the fluids reduced. Not fun.