Paul Henry no show?

MediaWorks is trying to avoid speaking about this but it’s been reported that the Paul Henry Show may soon be no show.

NZ Herald: Paul Henry to leave TV3; Duncan Garner to take over morning show

Less than two years after he launched his eponymous breakfast show, Paul Henry is understood to be stepping down from the role.

The outspoken broadcaster will leave the network at the end of the year, according to sources, with Duncan Garner taking over his morning hosting duties.

Insiders have told The Herald an official announcement is due to be made on Thursday, following the US election and the release of the final radio survey results for the year.

A Henry exit wouldn’t surprise me after an outspoken Henry interview recently – Paul Henry’s most offensive interview yet.

In that it sounded like Henry was talking himself out of his job.

During the interview, Henry admitted he was not loving his job. When asked why he continued to do it, he replied: “Because I’ve boxed myself into it and because I have an obligation to do it.”

Sometimes Henry can be very good, and often he can be awful. I wouldn’t be surprised if his minion hosts question fronting up so early in the morning to be a part of his dissatisfactions.

I find TV1’s Breakfast bland and boring, but Henry is too often too opinionated and makes it too much about him. I want to be informed, not be an audience for an ego.

I won’t be disappointed if it becomes the Paul Henry No Show. Garner would have to be better, unless Newshub tries to copy TV1’s banality.

UPDATE: Spinoff – When Paul Henry let rip that obnoxious Herald rant he was already through with TV3

Former Mediaworks news chief Mark Jennings writes on the background to the departure of TV3’s heaviest hitter, the huge hole it leaves, and the challenge ahead for heir apparent Duncan Garner.

When Paul Henry’s expletive-laden interview appeared in the New Zealand Herald eight days ago it looked like a clear case of presentercide.

By deliberately labelling people as “morons” and suggesting to the Heraldreporter that he check out the “perfect titties” of the woman at the next table, Henry was performing a kind of career kamikaze act – openly saying to his bosses at Mediaworks, “C’mon, shoot me now!”.

The fact that they responded with a weak “we don’t condone offensive behaviour” was telling.

They knew, of course, that he was already gone.

It’s dollars to doughnuts that Henry had quit before his verbal rant in the Federal Deli made its way into print.

1. Kitty Catkin

/  7th November 2016

His remarks about the Indian politician were a total embarrassment and were not well received in India.

He interviewed someone we knew (and, I may say, don’t greatly like) so I watched it. As soon as the interview was over, he began making smart-alec, insulting remarks about this woman, who did not deserve it-it was plain mad manners. I never watched him again.

/  7th November 2016

bad manners ! It was a witless display of discourtesy towards a guest.

/  7th November 2016

thats ancient history…get over it.

/  7th November 2016

I have, and I have also got over that witless clown and don’t waste my time watching him.

who do you watch?

/  8th November 2016

Nobody. I only watch the news, I can think of no reason to watch Paul Henry except to annoy myself-which is pointless.

• Klik Bate

And lets not forget the Indian poly was a Ms. DIKSHIT XD

• Let’s not forget that making fun of someone’s name, especially because of language differences, is petty and nasty.

/  7th November 2016

The senior politician’s name is pronounced Dix-hit, as everyone in India knows and anyone who’s ever heard it said knows, except those with a very poor ear for sound-the sort of people who pronounce air and ear the same. That was an incredibly childish display, based upon ignorance and racism-he made other anti-Indian comments that were a complete embarrassment.

His remarks about Mrs Dikshit were extremely discourteous towards an older woman who is also a well-respected politician. As I remember it, she brushed them off as being of no real importance.

• Klik Bate

/  7th November 2016

It’s not often you’re right Kitty, but you’re wrong this time!

I just checked with the owner of our local Indian Takeaway when I picked up my order of Vindaloo and Peshwari Naan…….he told me the correct pronunciation of Sheila’s name, (which he wrote down for me), was ‘Dhikshith’

He nearly wet himself laughing when I told him a friend of mine insisted it was pronounced, Dix-hit.

/  8th November 2016

Well, that’s how Indians I know said it was pronounced-educated people. The takeaway owner must be very easily amused,=.Either way, it’s not what that uncouth idiot thought.

I am often right, but you are too pigheaded & smallminded to admit it. I suspect that I am better educated than you are, and have read more.

/  8th November 2016

The internet would suggest that I am right on this one and you-how surprising-are wrong. The h is slurred so it often sounds like Dixit-which is how some people (no doubt those who have tired of the attitude of morons like Paul Henry) spell it.

• Klik Bate

XD

2. Blazer

/  7th November 2016

because he is a Key fanbois ,I have had a prejudice against him,but have actually come to like his style.Garner is not in the same league.Imagine if he popped up at TVNZ!Hipkiss has made a seamless transistion at 3 replacing a terribly over rated Hilary Barry.

/  7th November 2016

He’ll be like other people, replaced and forgotten. The old saying about a week being a long time in television has a lot of truth in it.

/  7th November 2016

the saying you refer to is about politics…get it right FFS!

• Pickled Possum

/  7th November 2016

That little ditty Miss is attributed to Harold Wilson, where is it said about television … just interested in some saying and who says them.

/  8th November 2016

It’s a saying, not a ditty (song) and I know when and by whom it was originally said….but people do also say it about television. There was once a Herald column called this. It’s just one of those things that people say, let’s not make a huge thing of it. This happens to quotes quite often; someone changes a word to make it fit another situation.

/  8th November 2016

Do you mind if I bookmark this for possible future use against you in evidence, Kitty? 😳

/  8th November 2016

Certainly. I am surprised that some people have never heard ‘politics’ changed to television in this quote. It’s like saying that it’s a long worm that has no turning.

/  8th November 2016

Well, it’s just that yes, sometimes an original saying or famous quote does get adapted and the adaptation can generate a 2nd generation saying that also gets quite widely used. I’m sure I’ve seen few instances here in the past where you have been quite, shall we say, brutal (?) in your condemnation of the illegitimacy of the use of a 2nd generation adapted saying of this type. I did actually check this quote out with Google (as one does) and while scores of hits came up for good ole Harry Wilson’s original about politics, only one came up about telly. And that was in New Zealand. 😳

/  8th November 2016

I would have brought this matter up yesterday in Blazer’s defence but I felt that he was a bit ungenerous towards me on a couple of other threads and was cruising for a bruising, so I let it go, but still, do you see my point?

3. Klik Bate

/  7th November 2016

It’s rumored Paul & Bella have taken up a very lucrative mainstream TV offer in the US, beginning early next year. He deserves it. This hick-town isn’t big enough for P. Henry, his talents are totally wasted here :/

Garner is more your ‘Everyman’…..I certainly wont be watching.

4. He can be a dick, but at least he is his own person and says what he thinks. Not my flavour most of the time but is miles ahead of most of the competition if not all of the competition…

/  7th November 2016

The problem is they are all competing for the attention of the bored, the listless, and the brain dead.

/  7th November 2016

are you a regular watcher ..Gezza?

/  7th November 2016

Nope. Yourself? Seem to be up with the play there.

/  7th November 2016

How can you reliably assess the merit or lack of then and generalise about the audience?Smacks of arrogance.

/  7th November 2016

I said I was not a regular watcher, not that I NEVER watch them. A lecture from you about arrogance is like a lecture from Satan about sin. Settle down.

/  7th November 2016

Correct me if I’m wrong but would n’t Satan be an authority on…sin?

/  7th November 2016

Exactly. He’s the biggest sinner. Try and keep up.

/  7th November 2016

so an authority on arrogance would easily recognise it ,I’m sure you agree.

/  7th November 2016

A qualified and experienced practitioner would do their best to encourage others less gifted to come up to their standard. I’m bored with your little jibe now. Cam you bother someone else for a while?

5. Blazer

/  7th November 2016

As far as his show goes ,I think Verity in the bunker has a huge future…sassy,hip and intelligent.

• Klik Bate

/  7th November 2016

Verity’s a ‘real find’ alright…wonder what ever happened to that little Chinese girl they had in the bunker?

/  7th November 2016

I don’t watch morning TV and Garner and Gower’s hysterical hype were a large part of my giving up on 3 News. So good luck to them all without my patronage.

• duperez

/  7th November 2016

I was genuinely surprised when a reasonable number of people seemed to think they needed morning tv. The recognition of that meant less surprise then that what some wanted was someone like Paul Henry. I am pleased to be a person of the past.

7. Conspiratoor

/  8th November 2016

Early am radio en route to the coal face without henners will be like listening to the crooked one’s victory speech. Over and over again. Every day until the good life starts. Until then I’m like a junkie without a fix. Basically toast

/  8th November 2016

Had to happen eventually c. Australia couldn’t keep him. India doesn’t want him. Not any more. America won’t keep him either. Face it, The planet’s too small for him. You’ve got a few days still to go. Can’t you just record some of his giggles and snorts and play those over and over when the loss starts to overwhelm you?

• He’s staying on until the end of the year I think, for another 4 or 5 weeks perhaps.

/  8th November 2016

Why Duncan Garner to replace him? That’s got me stumped. Patrick Gower I could understand … 😳

• Garner has been doing radio and TV so has the background.

I don’t know if he would be edgy enough but that may not be what they want people to wake up to.

• Klik Bate

Do you still get Philip Sherry down there PG ❓

• Haven’t seen it. I prefer port from my barrel.

• Klik Bate

😡

/  8th November 2016

He’s not edgy or witty enough. He’s OK . I just don’t think he fits the time slot. Not many people are “morning people.” The last thing they want to hear is a crusade for affordable housing in Auckland at 6.45 am in Westport.