‘Breaking news’ broken

I think that once upon a time ‘breaking news’ used to be occasional, bigger than normal fresh news. Online it has become a joke, a phrase to ignore. It is often just used as a way to promote click bait.

This from NZ Herald today is one of the stupidest I’ve seen.

nzh-breakingnews

Either the Herald machine is very poorly designed, or someone has no idea what qualifies as news let alone what ‘breaking’ means.

The news is that ‘breaking news’ is broken.

/  23rd December 2016

“It is often just used as a way to promote click bait”

I think you’ll find he spells it Klik Bate.

• Klik Bate

/  23rd December 2016

I think you’ll find I’ve ‘broken’ a lot more news than some people I could name……I’m sure even PG would agree with that ❓

In fact, everyone needs to be on standby – you’ll see it here first XD

2. Blazer

/  23rd December 2016

braking…news….

3. did you really expect “news” from the NZH?

/  23rd December 2016

It’s the Herald that’s broken, not the news.

5. And there seems to be no difference between ‘Fake News” and ‘Not News’ articles

6. lurcher1948

/  23rd December 2016

Whats this auckland herald that newstalkzb pushes everyday.Now a REAL newspaper is the Dompost along with Stuff.I’m amazed that there are enough people in Auckland who can read a newspaper not having English as their first language.

/  23rd December 2016

You’ve obviously led a sheltered life, Lurch. Auckland is full of immigrants but they come from all over NZ as well as the world.

/  23rd December 2016

The best Scrabble player I have ever known (he was unbeatable) was Korean*. My Spanish lecturer, who lectured, of course, in English, was Italian. The fact that someone’s first language is something else doesn’t make them illiterate in other languages. I can read French classics in the original even now, and I am not French. I can read newspapers in several languages, not as easily as I could, I must admit. The assumption that people whose first language isn’t English must be unable to read it is just silly. Einstein’s first language wasn’t English.

* and an engineer, which meant that he not only knew the words, he was able to see where the best place would be to put the letters to give him an astronomical score from triple letters etc and making three words at once from one set of letters.

7. Kitty Catkin

/  23rd December 2016

Breaking news…the wheel has been invented.