Rejected baby names

Parents are able to change their mind about the names they give their children until they turn 2, and this year about 700 names were changed.

Forty had to change their chosen names straight away when the Department of Internal Affairs rejected them – reasons for not accepting names include resembling an official rank or title, excessively long, using numbers or symbols, or were offensive to a reasonable person.

The death of Prince may have prompted parents to try that as a name.

I wonder what parents are thinking when they try to register some of these names. I presume kids are susceptible to ridicule if they have strange names.

From RNZ: Hi, my name is /

Registrar-General of Births, Deaths and Marriages Jeff Montgomery said the decision to reject a name could depend on the circumstances.

The parents of about 700 babies – about 1 percent of the number of babies born in New Zealand each year – had second thoughts and changed their baby’s name before they become a toddler.

Mr Montgomery said there were special provisions that allowed parents to change their mind in the first two years of a child’s life, with a small fee.

“Some are changing the first name of the child because they’ve had a change of mind, but increasingly it’s people who are changing the middle names of their child,” he said.

He said changes to the surname were marginally the most common reason.

I wonder if that’s due to changes in partner situations, for example a baby is given the father’s surname but then he disappears to the mother changes the surname to hers. I guess they could just have second thoughts which surname or hyphenated names to use.

1. Kitty Catkin

/  31st December 2016

I wonder what some parents are thinking. Apart from anything else, the ones with made-up names or deliberately misspelt ones will never have the pleasure of finding their name on the various items with names on them-I saw some angels recently. My name wasn’t made up or a distorted spelling, but it’s unusual enough never to be on anything like that. The nuisance of having a name that one has to spell for everyone is one that I wouldn’t wish on anyone.

It’s impossible to imagine a High Court Judge called Pryncess or Majezty. And how on earth does one pronounce /-2 ?

2. Kitty Catkin

/  31st December 2016

Justus is Latin for ‘just’. But I bet that the people who wanted to call junior that don’t pronounce it properly.

• It’s also a biblical name – Justus was one of the disciples of Christ who was proposed as a replacement for Judas as one of the apostles. It’s a perfectly good name and should have been given a pass by the DIA.

/  1st January 2017

I agree. It’s not just a Biblical name, of course. The DIA may have thought that it was meant to sound like Justice the title.

3. My favourite would be Le-a, which is, as it turns out just a legend according to Snopes. It ‘s pronounced Ledasha. I also remember reading Malcolm Gladwell – Freakonomics and his chapter on names “http://freakonomics.com/podcast/how-much-does-your-name-matter-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast/”

4. Conspiratoor

/  31st December 2016

Several years ago there was some controversy when a local rocket scientist decided he would name his first born ‘Mighty Mongrel Mob’ or ‘MMM’ I can’t remember which. Needless to say the Registrar General was instructed to ‘suck it up bro’

5. Kitty Catkin

/  31st December 2016

Prince is an Alsatian’s name-it’s incredibly naff to want to call a person that. Or Princess which is a name given to cats or small dogs. MMM ? Would that be pronounced ‘mmm’ as in
    ‘mmm, nice coffee’ ?

A Huntly lad was burdened with the name of Paranoyd, I was told-named after a band. What’s the betting that he has changed it to Boyd ?

There was a writer called John Thomas Looney.

6. Kitty Catkin

/  31st December 2016

My brother had a school friend called Robin Hood. The parents may have found it amusing, but I suspect that Robin hasn’t. I know someone whose surname is Gunn and she deliberately named her child Tommy, not Thomas, so that he’d be called Tommy Gunn which she thought was very funny. At school it would be ‘Tommy Gunn, stop……’ and she had a lot of laughs imagining it. I don’t supppose that poor Tommy thinks it funny by this time. And he’d have the nuisance of having forms handed back because he needs to put his full name, not a diminutive, and having to explain that Tommy IS his real name.

I knew someone who named their son after the cat.

/  1st January 2017

My all time favourites still are a young female Samoan overseas student named Janola, and two other compatriots of hers – twins, named Latitude & Longitude.

8. Kevin

/  1st January 2017

//\// would be a good name for a serial killer. 🙂