Whale ill

Cameron Slater has posted at Whale Oil that he is suffering from a debilitating illness – Quick update on my health – it turned out to be not very quick as he responded with details a number of times in comments through the day, and has also commented on it on Facebook.

He says that it is stress related, after a tough year last year.

The stresses of 2016 have come home to roost, and it is something else I can thank Colin Craig and others for.  I’ll make sure I’ll bring this up as one of the outcomes of what happens when a rich angry man uses the courts for personal leverage without any merit to the case.   His last court room encounter with me was thrown out as vexatious before it even went to trial.  So I’m somewhat annoyed my left brain has decided to go all sookie on me and chuck it all in for a bit.

Jokes aside, I’m not in great shape.  I can barely work.  I’m on morphine to keep the worst of the pain at bay.  But you know me, I can still take and make phone calls, and I have a great team I can dictate, direct and delegate to so it is business as usual.

The others at Whale Oil say they are doing more to keep things ticking over on the blog but some are still appearing under the authorship of Slater.

When Slater recovers enough to think things through clearly he should do more than just blame others – it would be an opportune time for him to re-evaluate his approach to blogging.

Many of his old sources seem to have dried up since the ‘Dirty Politics revelations, so continuing to promote himself as a dirty political activist, and promising to get dirtier this year, doesn’t seem a very smart approach.

Slater could be incisive and hard hitting without resorting to murkier dirtier tactics – if he actually tried to be a well informed new media journalist rather than trying to be dirtier and click batier than the old media he keeps criticising he may be able to reinvent Whale Oil as an effective and credible media site.

One problem with Whale Oil is their commitment to half hour posts . This often results in repeats on the same topics, many times on some topics, which either look like fillers, or like promoting an agenda. There are too many petty repeats of whine-posts.

An emphasis on quality rather than quantity would declutter the daily post lists and would probably attract more interest. When skimming 20-30 post titles it’s easy to miss worthwhile posts.

Slater would do well to reassess his approach to blogging. He may not only improve Whale Oil, potentially substantially, but also reduce his stress levels. The latter may be essential if he wants to recover properly and avoid any recurrence of stress induced illness.

A tighter, better focussed and less dirty Whale Oil would be more effective as a media site and also as a political activist site. And it may mean the difference between blog and blogger surviving online or not.

Next Post

/  January 10, 2017

Sorry he is ill and hope he recovers soon. Less hate in his life would be healthier.

2. artcroft

/  January 10, 2017

Given his propensity for BS I bet he’s sitting in the garden, feet up, having a beer, while laughing.

3. Jeeves

/  January 10, 2017

I hope no one lets him out in the yard with a tin of petrol and a lighter, his own prescrption for sufferers of mental illness ._._._

4. Blazer

would a …donation….help?

/  January 10, 2017

Your ellipsis per word rate is becoming … alarming.

/  January 10, 2017

I’m suffering from…..multiple ellipsis….too much stress.

/  January 10, 2017

You should try ‘Grammar’s Recipe’ Blazer. The old girl knew a few things about remedies.

oh…..rawleigh!

/  January 10, 2017

Is that English Grammar ?

/  January 10, 2017

Yes, but not Olde English.

/  January 10, 2017

Olde was never used in the days of Old English or Middle English-it’s an anachronistic usage coined in the c.18 to make something seem older than it is.

Bastardes. Always rewriting history to fit THEIR narrative. 😡

/  January 10, 2017

Not the Froggies in this case !

Ye Olde….is cringe-making, especially when the person says ‘ye’ wrong, which they always seem to. ‘Shoppe’ is also cringe-making.

5. duperez

/  January 10, 2017

I know it is good to have blog and media sites. I know it is good to have variety in those.

I find this grandfatherly, hand around the shoulder observations and advice surprising. The suggestion to “think things through clearly” could be taken as arrogant and condescending.

The reality is that they have thought things through clearly, none more so I would suggest than the subject of the story himself. What developed and continues is the result of very clear deliberate action. Sure, potholes encountered may have affected plans, but when you dig potholes. complaining about the ride and needing to use other roads is a bit rich.

Sneering about the old media and its frequent and obvious shortcomings is fair and reasonable but are alternatives which are rabid, aggressively partisan and often misanthropic in tone any better? And if any are like that and they disappear will the roaming of the freed malcontents be a major problem with their platform and haven gone?

/  January 10, 2017

“One problem with Whale Oil is their commitment to half hour posts . This often results in repeats on the same topics, many times on some topics….”

I don’t visit there often, not a fan, but how is that different from here where we seem to quite often have several posts about the same topic, sometimes on the same day, others over several days? Does he not use new & different media statements to generate interest & comments?

• Yesterday at Whale Oil, over two weeks since the resolution 2334 vote, there was (at a quick glance) eight posts on Israel and related anti-NZ Government and anti-Muslim topics. As well here’s about a dozen trivia posts, and a few other topics covered (about 5), but WO remains dominated by Israel and Islam.

I think the the scale of promoting an agenda there is unmatched by any other New Zealand blog by a long way.

/  January 11, 2017

I see. Possibly a contributor has spent time in Israel at Israeli government expense & this has coloured their perception of these issues.

7. Blazer

/  January 10, 2017

Apparantly Key now refers to Slater as the ‘Spanish Archer’!And why?….because ‘I gave him the el…bow’.

8. Conspiratoor

/  January 10, 2017

Good news is he will probably fully recover within a few weeks, although he is in for a torrid time pain wise. His description of the pain is quite apt. My personal GP tells me when shingles gets into your head it can be an absolute bummer

/  January 10, 2017

INTO your head ??? How ???

/  January 10, 2017

I’ve had it a few times but luckily not at high pain levels. Best thing is to hit it hard with the pills within a couple of days of it starting to give it a big knock back. You can get a vaccine too but I’ve not tried that.

9. PDB

/  January 10, 2017

Spanish flu caught from……….Spanish Bride.

10. Blazer

/  January 10, 2017

He panted, screamed and cried, but I didn’t stop.

/  January 11, 2017

Oh, please….my husband died a ghastly death from cancer. Show some respect .

11. Walter

/  January 12, 2017

Having been a victim of Cameron Slater I am not surprised that his bad conscience manifesting physically. Cameron has done awful things to people. The true extent of his [deletd – PG]are unknown. He has driven people to [too far without substantiation – PG], and all for political advantage and sometimes for money.

Cameron should try to make amends while he still has time. I notice he has stopped quoting the Bible recently. He may be aware and suffering from the absence of God’s light. It is a real thing. Ask anyone who had gone to and returned from very dark places.