Open Forum – Wednesday

18 January 2017

Facebook: NZ politics/media+

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is for you to raise topics that interest you.

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts.

Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts.

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.
  • Debate hard if you like but respect people’s right to have varying views and to not be personally be attacked.
  • Don’t say to a stranger online anything you wouldn’t say to their face.

Moderation will be minimal if these guidelines are followed. Should they ever be necessary any moderator edits, deletes or bans will be clearly and openly advised unless obviously malicious from anyone breaching site protocols, or spam.

Previous Post

/  18th January 2017

I’m anti-Islam, Alan – but don’t think Islam is behind that atrocity. I think it’s more likely to be the local culture.

/  18th January 2017

Yes and no, G. It is the local culture but that religion only gives it the ok.

• Missy

/  18th January 2017

In Pakistan it is the Islamic Clerics that were the one’s to get honour killings outlawed. The issued a fatwa against them last year, which led to the Government to pass laws against them.

/  18th January 2017

That is a hopeful sign, Missy, though I note it is only a relatively small local group of clerics.

• Missy

/  18th January 2017

True, but the clerics declaring a fatwa did help with a change in the law, and a slow changing in attitudes in Pakistan towards honour killings.

Baby steps, and as you say, it is a hopeful sign.

• Missy

/  18th January 2017

Oh, and it isn’t the religion that makes honour killings acceptable in India – they aren’t Muslim, so I don’t think it is the religion, I think it is the general culture of that region.

/  18th January 2017

Are you sure? India is 14% Muslim.

• Missy

/  18th January 2017

Ah, I thought the Muslim population was a bit lower than that. It still doesn’t change the fact that honour killings in India happen amongst other religions, Sikh’s & Hindi’s have been victims of honour killings. It is an issue for that area of the world, and the tribal traditions and caste system, not a product of the religion of Islam.

• Kimbo

/  18th January 2017

Allegedly, it is disagreements over dowry, a Hindu not a Muslim practice, that is the reason for the disproportionate number of deaths from small kerosene cooker “accidents” that claim the lives of many young women in India.

Accidental burns in Indian kitchens: Are they really accidental?

…Alleged dowry death due to burning of married women is a
              frequent occurrence in India, however, the cases are
              presented to the police by the husband or the inlaws
              as accidental burns and accordingly, the
              approach of investigating agencies extends from
              homicide/suicide to accident. In almost every case, it
              is stated that the clothes of the victim caught fire
              while cooking on kerosene oil stove or on a wood
              stove even when the house has the facility of
              Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) cooking. In the
              present study, an attempt is made to analyze the
              data statistically collected on such cases, with the
              objective to highlight various aspects of so-called
              accidental fatal burns

Click to access jalt06i1p14.pdf

/  18th January 2017

Neither Missy nor I are often wrong Al, from my subjective observations over time. However, I am currently in posssession of a long cream doughnut and right at the moment (09.44am) nothing else matters. Man Hugs.

/  18th January 2017

Can you give us an update (non-metric) on your waistline, G?

Hang on.

/  18th January 2017

32 inches in a T-shirt if I exhale & tighten the abs. The botty still looks tidy in a favourite faded pair of light blue jeans.

/  18th January 2017

Oh, you are wasting away, G. Definitely time and space for another cream bun.

• Missy

/  18th January 2017

I think you are correct Gezza. I read about this story this morning, if I remember correctly one was Pashtun and the other was Punjab. I think it was the woman killed that was Punjab and her husband Pashtun.

I also read that she was charged under terrorism laws rather than the new honour killing laws due to Kerosene being used, and I think it is this which has resulted in the death sentence for her.

I wonder if the mother will be killed the same way she killed her daughter, that seems fair to me.

• Joe Bloggs

/  18th January 2017

That’s just a dogwhistle post Alan… If you want to get all hot and indignant about atrocities committed by people then here’s another:

See? The vilest and most murderous scum on earth are not all Muslim …

/  18th January 2017

Doesn’t quite compare, Joe. The whole family and community didn’t conspire to make it happen and won’t try to keep her from real justice.

• Joe Bloggs

/  18th January 2017

splitting hairs does you no favours Alan

/  18th January 2017

It’s not splitting hairs at all, Joe. One person can be deranged. For a whole extended family and community to be the same way is not a mental health event, it is a satanic belief system. Utterly vile.

/  18th January 2017

What about a whole country, like Germany ?

• Jeeves

/  19th January 2017

What about the hundreds of years of empire and slaughter perpetrated around the world by the British, supported and approved to this day by its people, and their inherent arrogance that makes them think they are somehow better than other races?
              How would they rank on the vile scale?

/  18th January 2017

Putin says Russia has excellent prostitutes but Trump is used to a higher class of woman:

/  18th January 2017

Trump has an odd way of talking about these higher class women; pussy, bitch, someone he tried to fuck….

• Jeeves

/  19th January 2017

They should lock her up and throw away the key. She played a vital part in the abduction and torture of an innocent man.

/  18th January 2017

Bureaucratic spiders in dusty cupboards fear Trump’s new brooms coming:

/  18th January 2017

I thought that Mexico was paying for the Great Wall of Trump, not Americans who will lose their jobs as was said in this article. I note that Social Security isn’t being targeted, with all those people being made jobless it will be needed.

/  18th January 2017

Marwan Bishara, Senior Political Reporter for Al Jazeera TV, will be narrating a one hour documentary sometime on (our) Friday I think Martine said, based around the question: ‘Is Obama’s Legacy Donald Trump?’

/  18th January 2017

Amongst all the world’s problems, why on earth talk about that?

/  18th January 2017

Hard to say. I won’t be emailing them to ask because they never replied to my last feedback question. I imagine it’s basically going to be a review of Obama’s performance and outcomes with a particular focus on impacts in the Middle East. Mentioning Trump might be just the teaser, or they might perhaps want to speculate on whether he is going to be one of the World’s problems.

Their early morning report on Theresa May’s threat to knee the EU in the groin if they didn’t improve their behaviour also featured an item on President Xi’s address at Davos where he gave Trump a lot of stick without mentioning names, saying China was committed to Globalism like everyone should be, & that starting a trade war would not be recommended.

/  18th January 2017

Hardly surprising as China has been the principal beneficiary of globalism. It certainly wouldn’t be recommended for them.

/  18th January 2017

Their commentator noted China is the second biggest economy after the USA & spoke of the considerable progress under Xi in the re-organising, upgrading, & up-arming of their military, which is also sizeable & motivated.

• PDB

/  18th January 2017

“based around the question: ‘Is Obama’s Legacy Donald Trump?”

They obviously read my comments on this site………https://yournz.org/2017/01/15/obamas-legacy/

/  18th January 2017

Obama commutes Chelsea Manning’s sentence. A good move IMO. Trump couldn’t and there was an element of whistle-blowing that hiser sentence did not reflect.

• Joe Bloggs

/  18th January 2017

Concur – it’s ironic that she’s been freed by the very man who put her away: Obama established a tougher regime for whistleblowers and official leakers than any in modern American history. Now he’s dancing on the head of a pin, as her saviour.

The question now is whether Assange will give up his sanctuary at the Equadorean Embassy, as he said he would do if Obama pardoned or granted clemancy to Manning:

/  18th January 2017

I’ve just realised who Chelsea Manning is, but I must admit that I have forgotten the details of what she did when she was a bloke.

• Missy

/  18th January 2017

I am sure Assange will keep his word on this, he is after all a very trustworthy individual who wouldn’t go back on his word, like keeping bail conditions….

Oh wait, that’s exactly what he did. I won’t hold my breath waiting for him to come out of the Embassy, I don’t think he can be trusted to do what he says he will.

• Jeeves

/  19th January 2017

If I was Assange I’d just say “Oh I made that promise before the election- things have changed”.

/  18th January 2017

I see Wellington is expecting slightly stronger than usual afternoon breezes (about 100 mph) and has issued tie-downs for its trolley buses. No opening any windows today, G, or you might have an unexpected evacuation.

/  18th January 2017

I have seen sheets of roofing iron bowling merrily down the street. The most dramatic thing that has happened to me here was when one of the window awnings suddenly gave way and collapsed over the window-I don’t know when I have had such a fright. We all probably thought that part of the roof had come off. That side of the house suddenly went dark.

Other than that, nothing worse has happened than the recycling bins all taking off down the hill as if they were in a street race.

/  18th January 2017

Reminds me, I can see the recycle wheelie bin outside the lounge window in the spare car park where the neighbour brought it & left it for me – we do that sort of thing in North Welly. Will just go and wheel it into the back yard, chain it up, put something really heavy on it & stow it safely behind the hedge somewhere out of ‘the elements’.

/  18th January 2017

That windows positive/negative pressure was ridiculous. This is just a bit of Norwesterly wind with some grunt, plus some slight deluges, on the way. A good 737 pilot used to landing at Welly in a stiff Northerly would slide it in sideways, flare it at the last 50 feet & whip the nose round into the teeth of it, gently set it down, & consider it a walk in the park Al.

7. lucher1948

/  18th January 2017

All the double stackers here, every carriage another truck of the road, hope its posted
    Love my trains

• patupaiarehe

/  18th January 2017

My youngest boy was very impressed by that Lurch, as was I. Hard to believe that two locos can drag that much weight uphill.

8. Conspiratoor

/  18th January 2017

Mr Trump’s inspired appointments continue. Taps kiwi Chris Liddell on the shoulder to be his right hand man

9. lucher1948

The rights new hero

10. patupaiarehe

/  18th January 2017

This one is for the ‘stinky thumber’. As much as I enjoy your ‘downticks’, others don’t. So why not ‘grow a pair’, & make yourself known???

FFS, it’s the internet! You can comment & still be anonymous…..

• patupaiarehe

/  18th January 2017

I don’t even care to imagine the sad reality of the ‘PDT’. Almost asleep, in his own personal masterbatorium, just waiting for a comment to ‘downtick’. Get a life, you sad wank….

• Conspiratoor

/  18th January 2017

Pisses me off as well pat. I decided some time ago if the eyes were still open after 10pm I would signal my enjoyment of a song with a downtick. A personal calling card if you will. So you’d know it was moi. Now some other bastard comes along and shits on my parade. I’d like to lock the prick in a small room with PNZ for 3 days. Cheers,c

/  18th January 2017

Beats me how you avoided getting beaten to death in class sometimes, c.

• patupaiarehe

/  18th January 2017

Be nice about PZ please C, he may be a tad ‘long winded’, but does have a few valid points. “A broken clock is right twice a day…” 😀

• A few valid points!!! A FEW … !!!???!!!

First, giving credence to a downticker is like feeding oxygen to a Troll. Who gives a fuck …!?

But if this downticker “prick” was locked in a room with me for 3 days, they would come out much better equipped to be an independent and well informed free-thinker than say 3 days with Alan …

I would encourage them to think for themselves, Alan and other Righties would simply tell them what to think …

3 days alone in a room with Conspiratoor doesn’t even bear thinking about …

• patupaiarehe

/  18th January 2017

OK PZ, more than a few. That said, I think it would be irresponsible to allow your ‘hostage’ to bring a blade into the room with him. For your own good, as well as his… 😀

• patupaiarehe

/  19th January 2017

As for 3 days alone with Alan, please don’t give me a blade, or a gun… 😀

13. patupaiarehe

/  18th January 2017

Something different for you G…

/  18th January 2017

And one final bendy one for u, patu. The FiP be all like ha ha I crash chrome on you pakeha – what do you think of that one, pakeha – he he he!

• patupaiarehe

/  18th January 2017

Very excellent G, I GTG….

/  18th January 2017

Nite patu. The wind here is really cranking up, right on cue. Gonna go stand in it & shake me fist at it & then hit the hay. Nite, patu, nite PZ.