Media watch – Sunday

22 January 2017

Facebook: NZ politics/media+

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is for you to raise topics that interest you.

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts.

Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts.

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.
  • Debate hard if you like but respect people’s right to have varying views and to not be personally be attacked.
  • Don’t say to a stranger online anything you wouldn’t say to their face.

Moderation will be minimal if these guidelines are followed. Should they ever be necessary any moderator edits, deletes or bans will be clearly and openly advised unless obviously malicious from anyone breaching site protocols, or spam.

/  22nd January 2017

Aljazeera has devoted the best part of an hour to the descent upon Washington of a March of Women in Washington, whose protest for women’s and other assorted allegedly-threatened rights demands their presence. The reporters’ estimates of their numbers has gone from a hoped for horde of 250k to 500k in the space of 45 minutes. The throng is described, so far, as orderly – in contrast to the previous night’s revellers’ riotous behaviour. One has turned the telly off in order to steel oneself for the outraged umbrage expected to be expressed upon learning of this peasants revolt by Doctor His Lordship Sir Alan.

/  22nd January 2017

Actually it is the other way around, G. The peasants revolt has seen the country seize power from the city. This is the city slickers’ backlash.

• MaureenW

/  22nd January 2017

Have they explained exactly why they’re marching? Is it because Trump used the term “grab them on the pussy” 11 years ago? Or is there something else I missed?

I saw Ali Mau on TV last night with NZ’s embarrassing lot and I wondered if it was because the White House has dropped its LGBT page?

• From RNZ:
        “The event, the brainchild of Hawaiian grandmother Teresa Shook, was intended as an outlet for women and men who consider themselves feminists to vent their frustration and anxiety over Mr Trump’s victory.”

• From CNN:
        “And women and men in cities around the world — including Sydney, Berlin, London, Paris and Cape Town, South Africa — are also marching in solidarity and in opposition to the values they think Trump represents.”

/  22nd January 2017

One determined, yet pleasant, well-dressed & very well-spoken & articulate African American woman of approximate age early 40s stepped aside to answer the young female reporter’s sympathetic enquiry along similar lines, Maureen. I didn’t think to record her precise words but she indicated a strong belief that women’s rights to dignity & equality, as well as the rights of LGBT people were under dire threat by an unmentioned likely repressive new administration. The passing throng consisted not only of persons of the female persuasion of this lady’s approximate vintage but earnest-looking young bearded males generally somewhat sloppily attired, grandparents, young female adults in tight black jeans, a small number of in perambulators. Signs held to their chests by some of the throng indicated a variety of complaints but many simply expressed vague optimism for the success of their venture.

/  22nd January 2017

* insert children where missing in reference to prams. Say nothing to dave & AC.

2. Conspiratoor

/  22nd January 2017

Sir Al will be along shortly G once he has performed his ablutions and nibbled his grapefruit. Once more to deliver a predictable sneering dismissal. Meantime the sun rose and so far no sign of lurch’s mushroom cloud on the horizon. There is hope yet. Cheers,c

/  22nd January 2017

I won’t dismiss protests against attacks on access to safe abortions, C. That is a conservative agenda rather than Trump’s though and I hope he won’t concede much to it. The rest is mostly TDS writ large in a city under attack by the Goths and vandals. Indeed there the Roman empire has fallen. This is the resulting panic.

• Conspiratoor

/  22nd January 2017

The irony and hypocrisy escapes them. America’s democracy has given Trump a legitimate mandate. Get over it girls you are out of step. They are happy to work themselves up into righteous rage over a man up for past indiscretions but where are these shrieking feminists where it counts. Condeming the sickness that allows men to beat their wives, stone victims of rape, force women to drape themselves in black sacks and stay indoors. To be fair though there are a few couragous women who are not afraid to take this cancer on

• This was interesting:

Republican hopes the inauguration would serve as a unifying moment after a divisive election did not become a reality.

Many attendees loudly booed Senate Democratic Leader Charles Schumer (N.Y.) during his speech and a large number could be seen waving a sarcastic goodbye as Obama flew on the presidential helicopter away from the Capitol complex.

It’s not just the protesters who are an impediment to unity.

/  22nd January 2017

Schumer has been rather provocative prior to the inauguration so he will be seen as the enemy by many. And Obama has certainly been the butt of a lot of “good riddance” memes so you are right, America is divided with hostility in both camps.

• Repairing entrenched division is never quick and easy. Especially when politics is involved. Some will never concede to the other lot.

3. unitedtribes2

/  22nd January 2017

Morning Pete, Do you still stand by your article “The people didn’t come”

4. PDB

/  22nd January 2017

And some wonder why more people are now rebelling against PC nonsense and the ‘racism’ card;

“Beckford said being black in New Zealand sometimes meant being treated like an exotic creature.

“People touch your hair, touch your skin, like you’re just another object for them to gawk at,” she said.

“It really makes you feel like an outsider, when people engage with you as an object, and not as a human being.”

• Pickled Possum

Well PDB I have also been oggled at ‘oh what beautiful colour skin’ yea right
      ‘do you add self tan to your early morning beauty regime’
      Jez I find it funny that all the dark people Hide from the sun so as to not get blacker or melanoma and all the non dark people lie star fish stlyz in the sun to get darker.
      50 Shades of WGAF really!!!!
      When Enid Blyton gollywog was banished from revised editions of the Noddy books more than 20 years ago I then realised that some subliminal words and marketing were taking the piss. 🙂 but now I am knitting a pinkhat to show my pussiness.
      Chicks Rule 😉

• PDB

/  22nd January 2017

I think Beckford is somewhat confused in thinking ‘black’ people in New Zealand today get pawed because nobody has seen one before………….:)

No doubt if the character on the soil mix had been any other colour but black, or if it showed a white witch instead the person who went running to the media about it wouldn’t have thought it ‘racist’.

/  22nd January 2017

I must say I’ve encountered far more blatant racism in the UK than here. I was shocked when I worked there for three months back in 1985 to find that some of my work colleagues wouldn’t socialise with each other because of it. And we did a trip there a decade or so ago with a couple of our very close friends and once or twice there was definitely racial prejudice aimed at one of them.

Most people I’ve mixed with here take others as they find them irrespective of race. That said there are stereotypes based on race but they mostly get aimed at political targets rather than individuals. You may disagree with that, Possum.

• Pickled Possum

/  22nd January 2017

Well yes Al I do disagree to a degree, as I have been introduce to a ‘new immigrant’ who does not know the ME, just the colour and called me trash to my face. Much to the astonishment of others in the group. Thinking there was a mistake in her reply, when corrected she reiterated it once again with Feeling as to leave none of us in the mistaken view of what we heard was incorrect, but much my hosts … relief?… I good naturally said well just as well trash has a humour or a sense of.
          I pity intelligent people who make un intelligent comments spawned on by hatred or racism. There is No room in my life for the need to explain that my beautiful colour is not the B All of me.
          The stereotypes you talk of, are also not a reflection of me or most of the people of colour I know. And some Chicks Rule Al 😉

• patupaiarehe

/  22nd January 2017

As do I, Possum. Actually, I would rather slap them, than pity them. But the law doesn’t allow that sort of conduct, in a civilized society. I guess we will just have to settle for mocking them, without mercy…..

/  22nd January 2017

Yes, there are idiots around, Possum, to be avoided. Stereotypes will always be around because sometimes they are useful as a guide to what to watch out for. Like all statistics they can be used wisely or foolishly.

As for your beautiful colour, I fully agree – as obviously do so many of my sex who have delighted and partnered with it.

5. This is the “Media Comment” page so I thought that I would ask for your advice on where I can go to read on a regular basis researched and factual news with a Foreign Policy, Politics and Economic Theory at the NZ and Global levels. I find virtually all of the NZ Media to be dishonest and pursuing global agendas from their MSM contacts overseas, and very very few who are able to look at a subject area dispassionately and report on it accurately and with some original thought being used.
    The Global Media seem to have much the same disease. Can anyone suggest a good online source of news for me please?

/  22nd January 2017

I’ve said before that I like the realclearpolitics page because it links to opposing views – usually paired vis a vis the same topic, BJ. At least then you can see both sides even if neither are neutral.

6. Thanks Alan.

7. Kevin

/  22nd January 2017

TS implements compulsory login to reply. Be interesting to see if it improves the quality of comments.

• Kevin

/  22nd January 2017

Haha! At the time of posting this (8.00pm) comments over at TS have ground to a virtual halt with only Weka, DTB, and Bill posting. Last post was at 7.35pm and the one before that was at 6.35p – a gap of a whole hour. At this rate TS will now be lucky to get 12 comments a day all up,lolz.

8. The Larsen C ice shelf rift has extended another 10 KM since the start of the year.