King abdicates, Princess Jacinda in waiting

So after the media ran a campaign of deputy replacement, and after denials from Andrew Little that there was any change afoot and there was no vacancy, and from Jacinda Ardern a number of times that she had no ambition or plans to be deputy, and after Annette King was adamant she was not moving, they have all miraculously changed tunes in unison today.

King has thought things through and will now stand down as deputy, and won’t seek re-election in September. She will leave a big hole in Labour ranks.

The new deputy won’t be appointed until a caucus meeting next week but Little quickly annointed Ardern and Ardern quickly looked gratefully anointed. There is virtually no chance of her being challenged by another MP.

This all looks quite messy but the manipulators have got their way as Labour’s regeneration plan continues to unfold.

Media is generally enthralled with the princess in waiting, saying she is just what Labour needs to pick up support, especially from younger voters.

We shall see in a month or three whether the latest game changer changes anything substantial.

One potential problem has been well pointed out – what happens if Ardern steals media oxygen from Little? There are signs of that already.

What if Ardern jumps from her latesr 4% in preferred ‘Prime Minister’ and leapfrogs Little’s 7%? That could be awkward, I doubt that Ardern is in the leadership plans for now.

An interesting election lead up just got a bit more interesting – which is of couyrse what the media wanted, they dreaded boring Bill and drab Andy thrashing out the election.

Expect them to start spotlighting and comparing the deputies Ardern and Paula Bennett now.

Celebrity elections are the thing these days. Who cares about doddery old democracy?

1. Kitty Catkin

/  1st March 2017

Annette King may have decided to let someone else do the long hours and cop the flak when things don’t go well and be given no credit when they do. One cabinet minister whom we knew routinely put in 17 hour days. I suspect that he was typical.

/  1st March 2017

a typical b/s artist ,you…mean.

/  1st March 2017

If I’d meant that, I’d have said it. I wonder how many hours a day YOU work. Or what you have ever contributed to NZ except a lot of sneering at those who are prepared to work long and hard for the country.

/  1st March 2017

you are name dropping without the name…lets hear it and see what contribution they made….to the country ,not their own bank balance.

/  1st March 2017

Even better Blazer, lets hear what you have contributed to the country….

/  1st March 2017

if ever I am are paid by the taxpayers ,I would be happy to tell you.How many cabinet ministers can you name that really made a difference for the better in your lifetime?

/  1st March 2017

Tony Ryall made a real difference, when my family were being ‘fuct around’ by ACC.

/  1st March 2017

BTW Blazer, you didn’t answer my question…. πŸ˜€

/  1st March 2017

I answered your question.Kitty made disparaging remarks about a long term ,hardworking and respected M.P.Then she did her usual….personal anecdote ,so vague and like so much she posts….probably made up.

/  1st March 2017

No she didn’t, she just said that she thought Annette had had enough.

/  1st March 2017

@Patu,Annette King can speak for herself….Kittys assumptions are moot.Nice to hear Tony Ryall helped your fanmily out.A very under rated Nat M.P.Maureen would not have liked him though.

/  1st March 2017

I have no intention of name-dropping; these are people whom I know well, who have been to my house. I have known quite a few Ministers. If you are silly enough to think that these people are doing it for their own bank balance, you must indeed be silly. With one exception, they were earning more outside than in Parliament and took a drop in income by going into it. There’s a saying that National MPs have a pay cut when they are elected, Labour MPs have a pay rise. Anyone who did it just for the money would be a one-term wonder. I am not going to satisfy your vulgar curiosity. Unlike Nelly, who thinks that being a Twitter ‘follower’ or meeting someone means that she knows them as a friend, I don’t need to drop names to boost my own ego-but you would be surprised if I did.

People who routinely work 17 hour days when they could be earning more for doing less are not doing it for the money. Would you be prepared to only have from 4.30 free on what’s laughingly called a holiday ?

What contribution have YOU made to NZ ?

/  1st March 2017

hang on,what contribution did this cabinet minister paid for by the taxpayer…make?

/  1st March 2017

Ministers, dear, ministers, and if I tell you that, I might as well use their names-you don’t catch me that easily.

/  1st March 2017

More in five minutes each than you in your lifetime, I expect.

/  1st March 2017

I certainly believe they went to your house.Doorknocking ,especially in election years is part of the ….campaign.I think you are the female equivalent of…Walter Mitty.

/  1st March 2017

Believe it if you want to, you’re just jealous-and if you think that all those people from different places and cities knocked on MY door, you’re very silly. Local ones door-knock sometimes, but people don’t usually do it outside their own electorate ! If I was Mrs Mitty, I’d be naming names. Probably names of people I have met once or never met at all. How long do you think it takes to door-knock even a suburb ? Why would someone do it out of their own electorate ? They don’t.

/  1st March 2017

‘Name dropping is vulgar. I will not do it. I am pleased and privileged to have known so many brilliant, influential people, but I won’t cheapen myself by boasting about who they are. When one moves in political party circles, one inevitably gets to know politicians, it’s like knowing academics and writers at university.’….priceless…..any shitkicker can trot this out.Backdoor bragging…without any substance…or credibility.

/  1st March 2017

Ooo-err ! I take it that you didn’t go to university !

/  1st March 2017

There’s no point in doing it Kitty. Why bother trying to impress the anonymous ‘ghosts in your machine’. You know who you know, as does Nelly, and as do I. Even though the only person I know, who has any influence on the community, is the owner of the local fish & chip shop… πŸ˜€ Well, actually, that may not be entirely true….
              So anyhow, the point I was making is that we are all equal here, and one is only judged on the strength of their wit….

/  1st March 2017

I will say that my late mother-in-law knew Christopher Robin Milne when he was an adult, but my husband was too old and too young to either be pleased to know Christopher Robin because of the books or appreciate him as a bookseller, he was just someone Mum knew and talked books with πŸ˜€ The family knew Agatha Christie who lived near them. My brother in law went boating with her grandson from the boathouse in Dead Man’s Folly.

Hey Blazer! GFY!

/  1st March 2017

@Kitty,absolutely nothing to be jealous of….an anonymous blogger claims to know anonymous influential people…..do behave.

/  1st March 2017

I don’t claim to, I do, via my late husband. You wouldn’t believe me even if I named names,. so there’d be little point.

/  1st March 2017

@Patu…Good For You …too…anyway ,things to do…Foxtrot Oscar.

/  1st March 2017

Oh look, Blazer is trying to get a reaction. How does one create a ‘yawn’ emoticon?

/  2nd March 2017

: – 0 ?

• Conspiratoor

/  1st March 2017

Not a name dropper myself but I do admit to a game of chess with a guy who once played Spassky in Zurich. And there was the time I shared a quad bike with Bill Gates…

/  1st March 2017

Blazer played the ‘rusty trombone’ with Bill, just ask him… πŸ˜€

• NOEL

/  1st March 2017

An advocate for patients that will be missed.
      She would always go the extra mile.

/  2nd March 2017

I cannot-still-believe that my old man stayed in the hotel on the island-the one that all the murders took place in-and could say no more than that it was a big, Art Deco place. Great description, how informative ! Make something up, then ! You must remember more than THAT !!!

Hee ! old friends of his were related to the man who gave his name to Molotov Cocktails. Catkin Cocktails doesn’t have the same ring to it. Nor do Wilkinson Cocktails or George Cocktails, but Conspiratoor Cocktails and . Patu Cocktails sound all right πŸ˜€

I used to live in one of Katherine Mansfield’s houses, but the poor thing had been made into flats. There was an ugly old tree stump in the garden-the tree that she wrote about had had to come down, but the owner wouldn’t have its stump removed. I was in what had been the servants’ quarters in part πŸ˜€ The house has now been restored to its former glory. It was fun to take photos and tell people that I used to live there….:D It was marvellous to know that it was the Karori house in the stories, even if it was a bit drab & tired by then.

2. patupaiarehe

/  1st March 2017

These ‘U turns’ do nothing for their credibility.

3. Brown

/  1st March 2017

King was pushed to leave a vacuum for more vacuousness – Ardern knows nowt about anything that matters. I suspect labor won’t fill the vacuum with votes and I wish national had competed in the bi election to apply some pressure and make Labor even more nervous than they must be. Little must be struggling to recall what he said yesterday what with all the changes to the story and will be terrified he will say something that is shown to be a mistake within a day or so. Stupid is as stupid does.

4. Corky

/  1st March 2017

Its show time folks….time to see who are the biggest idiots….the Labour Party promoting Jacinda to deputy, or the idiots who will vote Labour now that she’s deputy. What a hoot if Labour climb 5% in the polls.

5. Nelly Smickers

/  1st March 2017

That’s not very nice of you Nelly. πŸ˜€ A friend of my ataahua wahine went to school with Jacinda, & reckons she is one of the nicest people you could ever meet.

• Nelly Smickers

/  1st March 2017

I *do know* what you mean patu….she really is beautiful XD.

Wayne has always had this *thing* for Jacinda ever since he first clapped eyes on her. I blame it on his upbringing…..his dad was a dental mechanic.

/  1st March 2017

It’s about the level of wit one would expect from a Smickers, alas.

6. Nelly Smickers

/  1st March 2017

*Jude* tweeted me earlier with her thoughts…..

/  1st March 2017

Jude ??? Do you know her well enough to call her by a nickname. then ? Have you ever even MET her ? I thought not.

• Nelly Smickers

/  1st March 2017

As a matter of fact Kitzy, we have MET her…..*Ms Collins* (Jude) has visited our gun-club on a number of occasions and has even shot with Wayne’s Glock. Would you care to apologise? Thought not.

/  1st March 2017

Don’t expect one Nelly, you’d most likely have more luck ‘milking a cat’ πŸ˜€

So what was your impression of her ‘in person’, Nelly?

• Nelly Smickers

/  1st March 2017

Jude is an absolutely wonderful girl with an amazing sense of humour….in your parlance Patu, a true *ataahua wahine* XD

/  1st March 2017

I imagine she is Nelly. Just from what I see in the media, ‘Crusher’ strikes me as a strong woman, who stands by her opinions, and makes no apologies for them.

/  1st March 2017

I bet that you don’t call her Jude.

/  1st March 2017

I bet that she does, but ‘Jude’ doesn’t know her as ‘Nelly’… πŸ˜€

/  1st March 2017

I bet that she doesn’t call her Jude to her face.

/  1st March 2017

I bet that she does πŸ˜€

• Nelly Smickers

/  1st March 2017

I can tell you one name nobody would dare call her at the gun-club Kitzy, *Crusher*….it’s always *Jude* to her closet friends.

/  1st March 2017

Closet friends is about right, I suspect; she doesn’t know that they are ‘friends’.

I wouldn’t expect even Wayne to be vulgar enough to call her Crusher to her face.

/  1st March 2017

Was that photo of her firing a gun taken at the gun club ?

• Nelly Smickers

/  1st March 2017

Nope, absolutely not Kitzy….no photos allowed at the club for *security reasons*. The one you are referring to was taken at the Police range in Trentham

• Nelly Smickers

/  1st March 2017

Just for your *viewing pleasure* Kitzy, here is a personal little shot of *Jude* that I know she probably wouldn’t mind me sharing with you…. XD

/  1st March 2017

Well there you have it Nelly. She looks happy, and at peace with herself.
              Kitty, however….

7. Zedd

/  1st March 2017

‘changing of the guard’.. just what Labour needs to shake off the ‘failure’ label (from last 8 years) that seemed to have stuck.. roll on 23/9 πŸ™‚

/  1st March 2017

As I said a few days ago, Ardern looks good but has no idea which puts her ahead of Little and the rest who just have no idea. I guess after anointing her party leader the MSM journalists will tell her what to think.

/  1st March 2017

Of course there could be a leadership change irrespective of the union vote if Labour drops a few more percent and fails to get any list seats – bye, bye, Andy.

• Conspiratoor

/  1st March 2017

My money’s on Willie the Waka Jumper. Has the necessary union creds and offers the potential to unite maoridom. As brother corks says, ‘let the show begin’

• What do they do if Little looks like he is failing (rather than grimly hanging on as he is now)?

Ardern has said she absolutely has no interest in being leader or Prime Minister.

• MaureenW

/  1st March 2017

They all say that, in case you missed it

• Nelly Smickers

/  1st March 2017

On *Morning Report at 7 o’clock* she said she had no interest in being Deputy XD

• MaureenW

/  1st March 2017

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a token homo partner with the token female. The worlds moved on but Labour are heavily into diversity tokenism

/  1st March 2017

you should be ashamed of that post ..Maureen…have a look at the govt ,and you will find diversity as well.You belong in the 50’s.

• MaureenW

/  1st March 2017

Banging on about diversity is a cover for pathetic tokenism. There is only one thing that matters and that would be electable talent. The rest is pure bullshit.

/  1st March 2017

No its not,diversity and the more groups represented in Parliament is widely regarded as a good thing.Imagine if Parliament was filled with people who thought like you!

• MaureenW

I’m not πŸ˜‡

• Nelly Smickers

But I wonder how *Alf* would feel about it ❓

• MaureenW

/  1st March 2017

Oh, hadn’t considered Willie, he’d fit the diversity bubble too.

/  1st March 2017

you really have no idea who Nelly is referring to…do you?

• MaureenW

/  1st March 2017

I know exactly who I’m referring to, otherwise I wouldn’t have made the comment