Open Forum – Thursday

6 April 2015

Facebook: NZ politics/media+

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is for you to raise topics that interest you.

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts.

Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts.

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.

1. INteresting numbers … will be interesting to see if any more analytical information emerges from this new law and the powers it enables…

From Politik:

“CYBER BULLYING
    Legislation passed in 2015 to curb cyber-bullying is effectively weeding out and punishing the worst offenders, says Justice Minister Amy Adams. “The Harmful Digital Communications Act made it illegal to send messages and post material online that deliberately causes a victim serious emotional distress,” says Ms Adams.
    Since coming into force, the Act has resulted in:
    132 criminal charges filed
    77 criminal cases finalised
    50 convictions and sentences
    Four diversions completed
    Three dismissals
    One discharge without conviction”

Still earlier days so hard to get a sense of whether this is working properly..

I see some young law student eyeing the first 3-4 years of this law in action as a piece to do a post grad thesis on.

2. Corky

/  April 6, 2017

I have always felt better health wise when I’m at the beach. I never take hot showers. I prefer to use the cold shower after swimming as my daily scrub down. Other people notice the same effect. Some put it down to the vivifying salt air…..but is it?

Scientists are finding out about the health benefits of cold on the human body. Some people are taking it to the extreme by stepping into a chamber filed with frozen nitrogen. I think I will stick with cold showers.

An other factor making the beach a great health tonic is earthing. Its one of the few times modern man has contact with mother earth. Earthing removes static and allows the body to absorb negative ions from the earth. There is however some debate on the craze of people earthing themselves through their electrical mains sockets.

Heart patients in particular seem to benefit from grounding.

With the elections nearing I believe more Lefties need to start grounding themselves thereby making life bearable for the rest of us.

• Anonymous Coward

/  April 6, 2017

Have you inhaled a spambot? 7 reasons why….. and you won’t believe no 6.

/  April 6, 2017

Tried it. Didn’t like it.

/  April 6, 2017

So did Andy. But the timer broke. He spent 5 minutes instead of 3 in the chamber. He lost his glasses….and, well, the rest is history.

But, as a heart patient,I thought you may have been interested.

/  April 6, 2017

Not a heart patient Corks.
          But I am a patient heart.

Please explain.

/  April 6, 2017

I haven’t been diagnosed with a heart condition.
              I think I’m a patient-hearted soul when it comes to most people.

/  April 6, 2017

The doctor has you on aspirin and statins?

/  April 6, 2017

Yes. But for a CVA, not a heart problem. Cardio checks are standard follow up precautionary. I am at a risk of another CVA in the next 8 days.

/  April 6, 2017

But on the grounding thing, wouldn’t be surprised if it’s true about the seaside. In fact it’s possibly true I think for any natural body of water or watercourse. It is for me anyway. I feel different & very calm near streams, rivers, lakes – any running water that’s not putting me in direct danger. Always have done. It’s why I live next to a stream.

/  April 6, 2017

Some people have all the luck. A stream in your backyard.

/  April 6, 2017

Gotta – Pooky or his gf are doing the particular shriek they reserve for letting me know they’ve arrived for their breakfast wheat over the fence. Back later.

/  April 6, 2017

*Gotta go I meant. It’s Pooky’s gf. She’s a real cutie. Always very smartly turned out. Great legs, shame about the big feet.

• Anonymous Coward

/  April 6, 2017

On a camping trip a few years ago we went from 30 degree days at a beach straight to a rainy night in the mountains. One of us had got terrible hayfever at the beach, but when they jumped in the mountain river the swelling seemed to just fall away.
              It left me thinking that must be why health resorts are often in the mountains and why the more hedonistic pursuits are carried out by the ocean (we’d celebrated new year on the beach, which is why my mind went to hedonism).

/  April 6, 2017

I love having the lake a few minutes walk from my house.

3. Nelly Smickers

/  April 6, 2017

A friend Wayne’s who runs a tourism charter business was telling him *the shits about to hit the fan* here as well …. biggly

4. Corky

/  April 6, 2017

Ignorant Islam…and not a terrorist in sight. One prick gets up and turns off the lights. And we tolerate this crap. Not one person laid into these pricks.

• As Maryam says in her calm and well-mannered considered way, nothing can illustrate what she speaks against than bigots and thugs like this.

There are all too many Islamist zealots in Europe committed to closing down discussion and the worst is that there is far too much tolerance of and capitulation to their ignorance and methodology.

/  April 6, 2017

do you feel safe in the Muslim country ..you are visiting ..atm?

5. Zedd

/  April 6, 2017

I see Rose Renton & Sue Grey (lawyer) appeared before the Health select committee, to talk to her 17k signature petition.. calling for further medicinal CANNABIS reforms.

It was interesting to read Dunne saying ‘police are not arresting ‘genuine med-users’ (B-S) this came in light of news, that a tetraplegic man WAS arrested for using the ‘herb’ to relieve his pain.

APATHY is really driving this issue, down the agenda. As soon as this ‘just say NO to drugs’ Govt. start throwing tax-cuts around in the run up to 23/9.. the 50.1% who voted for them in 2014 will likely ‘all come to attention’ ! 😦

3 more years.. “HELL NO !!!”

• Are you a third party or do you represent a party? 🌞

• “I’m a individual….. you can’t fool me !” 😀

• ‘.. or do you represent a party ?’

I represent the ideas of ‘genuine Cannabis law reform’ (NOT just the B-S spread by many current Govt. MPs on this issue).. in order to maintain status quo only ! 😦

@ patu
    Ibanez AEG, Slimline acoustic electric. Shop called. Picked it up today. Lovely setup. Mine all mine. 🎉 No more guitars. Need to offload a couple. Run out of room. 😕

• Zedd

nice geetar 🙂

btw; PG ‘looks like a date malfunction; 5/4/15’

• Conspiratoor

/  April 6, 2017

Nice colour G but it might not stand up to the patu test. Word on the street is they are hardened against feedback which kills a lot of the acoustic tone. Cheers,c

/  April 6, 2017

Word in the lounge is it’s all in the amp gain tone & effects settings. Not looking for perfect reproduction of an acoustic guitar. Looking for a particular sound & feel that I like.

• patupaiarehe

/  April 6, 2017

Very nice G. I’m pretty certain that a fine instrument, has found a good home.

/  April 6, 2017

I’ll fit a pick guard. Otherwise it’ll be scratched to billyo under the sound hole in a couple of weeks.

• Anonymous Coward

/  April 6, 2017

Willie don’t mind a few scratches, why should you?

/  April 6, 2017

He’s possibly just a bit poverty stricken❓😀

7. Nelly Smickers

*DEAR GOD*…..WHERE IS THIS EVER GOING TO END 😡

/  April 6, 2017

Charged, not found guilty.

Former, not present.

5 out of how many thousand Sallies worldwide ?

• Anonymous Coward

/  April 6, 2017

Kitty Catkin, the great defender of the sex offender.

Every time a coconut.

• Nelly Smickers

/  April 6, 2017

…especially when you actually read the article which sez *two of them have already been found guilty* and jailed. LOL!!

/  April 6, 2017

You have a very odd sense of humour, if you find it funny that people are sex offenders There is nothing amusing about sex abuse, or not to most people.

/  April 6, 2017

Don’t be ridiculous; that is arrant nonsense. But 5 out of 8500, and former members at that, doesn’t reflect upon the Sallies as a whole, These are people, not just Sallies-or rather, ex-Sallies.If they are found guilty, it does not mean that the Sallies are an organisation of paedophiles. It means that those people are offenders.

You appear to have missed the fact that people have been accused and found not guilty-one reason for not releasing names unless the accused is found guilty, although this wouldn’t help people like the man released after 10 months in prison for sex crimes that he didn’t commit, and the young man in Hamilton charged and found guilty for a rape that the ‘victim’ made up to see if it would be possible to do this and have the person charged with a non-existent crime.

• Nelly Smickers

Please refer to comment above headed: *Anonymous Coward*

😡

8. Corky

/  April 6, 2017

Matthew Hooten believes some National MPs may cross the floor re the RMA.

I cant see that. Who wants to be hated by Maori ( with a possible hiding to boot) and the Blue Rinse Set who’d be ropeable at the thought of Andy and Cindy taxing them in some form or another once in power?

/  April 6, 2017

Pooky checking his booking for lunch was received – 11.55 am this morning. Very polite, just a couple of eeks, and an ik-ik when told it would be five minute – the chef was making sure the wheat was the right one.

10. Nelly Smickers

/  April 6, 2017

From twitter…..so sad to see this 😡

https:twitter.com/FairfaxArchives/status/849401786016444418

/  April 6, 2017

Not upsetting me much, looking at that.

• Nelly Smickers

/  April 6, 2017

Hardly breaking news, and hardly likely to cause much sadness 85 years after the animal died. Or likely to be seen as very important when one considers what was on the news tonight.

• Nelly Smickers

/  April 6, 2017

TBH *Catkin*, when I first opened the tweet I didn’t have time to fully read it ……so I just assumed from the headline that somebody had died.

/  April 6, 2017

Oh, I see, Smickers, I did wonder.

11. lurcher1948

POLITICS

12. Griff

I just caught the dog.
    Digging up last weeks fish carcasses..
    He knew he had done wrong.If he had a tail it would’ve be between his legs …That guilty look only the dog has perfected….
    Greedy pig now the place smells of week old snapper.

/  April 6, 2017

Pepper will discourage animals from interfering with such things, I never had a rubbish bag attacked (in the days when I ate meat) after I thought of peppering the bones and remains.

/  April 6, 2017

I’m afraid my dog has eclectic tastes and spicy food is just fine with her.

/  April 7, 2017

Not pepper, I would imagine, that seems to be a real turn-off for all animals. It has the two advantages of unpleasant taste and sneeze inducing. After I thought of it, we could put chicken bones and all sorts of meat waste into the bag, unwrapped, and never once had a bag demolished or even opened. Pepper is money well spent. It seems-touch wood-to be deterring mice-I have sprinkled it around the edges of the airing cupboard & other places, and there have been no new calling cards for some time.

/  April 6, 2017

Spent all day making a new trellis fence and big gate to replace the wire dog fence. Dog had started jumping over it. So I make it higher. So she broke through underneath it. Hopefully this one will have her stumped. Then I was stuffed so a beer and a hot bath very relaxing.

I’ve invented a better way to dry yourself after a good hot bath. Don’t waste energy trying to rub yourself down. Just lie down between two big towels on top of the bed and relax while the drying happens with no effort whatever. Perfect.

/  April 6, 2017

I had to crawl along on my knees on a stinking hot day, sweat dripping off me, cutting a little bit off the bottom of the then new gate so that a Shih Tzu bitch in the next street who had a crush on my dog could put her face through the gap, as she did with the old gate, and look at him.

• Nelly Smickers

/  April 6, 2017

Are you sure it was actually *make-up* on those towels Al…..or do you have separate ones for your guests 😡

/  April 6, 2017

Of course I have separate ones for our guests, Nelly. My towels are pristine, I’ll have you know, Nelly, like me after a bath. The guest ones – not so much. Sometimes it’s make-up on theirs, sometimes other things. Enquiring minds don’t really want to know.

/  April 6, 2017

Ok, I’ve given you an uptick for the dog story, so I’m trusting that you’ve done the same for me pooky pic p, Al.

• patupaiarehe

/  April 6, 2017

A little late to be complaining about ticks, G.Some music would be good…

/  April 6, 2017

I thought I was being hopefully optimistic, especially since Al’s been a bit rude to me on another thread. I wondered if he might have made up for it here. What were those strings you recommended? Dave gave me a free pack of Martin custom Silk & Steel .0115 – .047s. Reckoned they were great for playability & recommended I use them.

• patupaiarehe

/  April 6, 2017

Pay no attention to Al. He will crush any hope, out of the most optimistic of souls… 😀
            Dave is a wise man. Can’t say I’ve tried those strings, but the other Martin strings, that I put on Jr’s electric/acoustic, sounded nothing short of amazing.

/  April 6, 2017

“Some music would be good…”

Righto. 👍

• patupaiarehe

/  April 6, 2017

I reckon this one lend itself to ‘acapella’, G…

16. patupaiarehe

/  April 6, 2017

Speaking of Katy Perry, here is the best ‘stripped back’ acoustic version of ‘Roar’, EVER!

/  April 6, 2017

Gotta hit the sack patu. Dr’s orders. Nite bro.

• patupaiarehe